Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite pub song

Options
  • 22-12-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

:DHi, only 17, starting out djing with established local guy. Gigs consist of birthdays, celebration partys etc. These will mainly be in pubs so I'm looking for your suggestions for great pub crowd favourites. Audience has no interest in electronic or techno or the like, that is why I'm posting here, and not in the djing thread. Any tunes you may deem suitable?

Cheers in advance;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Do you mean, like, traditional Irish stuff? You can never go wrong with:

Black Velvet Band
    The Wild Rover
    Take Her Up To Monto

!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 djlor

ya sorry for not specifying, i mean current chart stuff, all time greats, upbeat trad, anythin that will go well in pubs....cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

rowland browner, have u ever danced in a large pub??

come on, somebody pleas, am djin tomoro nite!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you are going to be a wedding DJ, let the bride and groom provide some CDs of their own favourite songs. Then, completely ignore the CDs, talk over every song, and tell the furious couple that the crowd 'clearly wanted Livin' La Vida Loca and Amhrán na bhFiann' before splitting with their money.

stovelid, u appear to be a quite nasty individual. i admire you profoundly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

you need a new sarcasm detector kiddo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

AC/DC is one that gets everyone, Thunderstruck & You Shook Me All Night Long seem to be favourites. Dire Straits' "Walk Of Life" is a biggy, "Bad Touch" by Bloodhound Gang, "Atomic" & "Heart Of Glass" by Blondie, "Hotel California" by the Eagles, "Dance Commander", "Gay Bar" & "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six, some Queen, Some Madness, The Pogues are always a favourite, Thin Lizzy's big stuff is always welcome in Irish pubs, Weezer something (depent on who's attending). Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

As someone who is a DJ and makes a living from it I find it very confusing how pub owners/managers are employing someone that has to go onto Boards the night before a gig to get a playlist together.

No offence to you personally OP, we all have to start off and I did too and you mention you're learning the trade from someone, all positive stuff but does the pub you're working in know how inexperienced you are? If they do and are paying you €50 for your services, fine. However, for the DJs who are worth every penny it really undermines the whole industry!

None the less, the Irish Top 30 is probably worth a look, go to play.com, type in 80s albums and download the track listings, same with 70s. Everyhit.com is also worth a look.

Starting off "DJing" seems very easy these days or maybe I'm getting old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maniac 2000

Just repeat for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

SEX ON FIRE!!!!

MGMT - Kids seems to be getting everyone going these days but I agree with Nilaz, everyone goes for the classic stuff

exiot wrote: »
    SEX ON FIRE!!!!

MGMT - Kids seems to be getting everyone going these days but I agree with Nilaz, everyone goes for the classic stuff
    Thanks and all, I don't mean to be a cünt, but, my name. Sorry for the condecending remark. Don't worry though, it happens alot, some people even call me Nialz or Niallz, my real name isn't even fückin' Niall! It's Paul.

MarkN wrote: »
    As someone who is a DJ and makes a living from it I find it very confusing how pub owners/managers are employing someone that has to go onto Boards the night before a gig to get a playlist together.

No offence to you personally OP, we all have to start off and I did too and you mention you're learning the trade from someone, all positive stuff but does the pub you're working in know how inexperienced you are? If they do and are paying you €50 for your services, fine. However, for the DJs who are worth every penny it really undermines the whole industry!

None the less, the Irish Top 30 is probably worth a look, go to play.com, type in 80s albums and download the track listings, same with 70s. Everyhit.com is also worth a look.

Starting off "DJing" seems very easy these days or maybe I'm getting old!

Ok Mark N, I'll start here. Would just like to inform you that I am not in fact lookin for just general obvious suggestions!.. I have 987 songs in my iTunes library and have a playlist of about 187 of songs I know are suitable for djing

I didn't start this thread to find out obvious songs, I actually have an in-depth knowledge of the music industry in general, despite my age.

What this thread's purpose actually is, is for suggestions of possibly obscure or at least dated songs which would go down well. Obviously I didn't make this clear previously and apologize for this!

When asking for immediate help, that was only an attempt to get some replies, as at the time, I had received virtually nil.

I appreciate your advice on finding songs, but in all honesty have been using that method for quite a while now, and this thread is an attempt to find great djing songs which don't feature on the charts, or in all-time lists!

Once again, apologies for such a general thread, and I hope from now on people will realise I'm looking for obscure and forgotten songs, not overplayed and highly famous songs such as Sex on Fire and Kids, both of which I played last saturday night.

By the way, the gig went excellently, and I have already received three bookings for 21sts in the next month, on the back of last saturday night.

Tomorrow night, New Years I'll be djing again, and hopefully things are as successful this time around.

Thanks again for the suggestions lads, much appreciated, keep 'em comin'!!!:D;)

Nailz wrote: »
    AC/DC is one that gets everyone, Thunderstruck & You Shook Me All Night Long seem to be favourites. Dire Straits' "Walk Of Life" is a biggy, "Bad Touch" by Bloodhound Gang, "Atomic" & "Heart Of Glass" by Blondie, "Hotel California" by the Eagles, "Dance Commander", "Gay Bar" & "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six, some Queen, Some Madness, The Pogues are always a favourite, Thin Lizzy's big stuff is always welcome in Irish pubs, Weezer something (depent on who's attending). Hope this helps.

Lovely lovely, thanks Nailz!!If ya think of any more let me know. I know most of them but some of the less known ones are a big help.I ahd heard of both Blondie and high voltage, but not many of their songs, despite the fact that when I hear them I know them. Keep em' comin man, thanks!

No bother mate. I'm only back from a long trip away in Manchester so my brain isn't fully functional, plus the fact I'm listening to metal, so I'm not in the best position to think of pub hits, but I'll think of more later, I'm pretty sure I've more in capacity.

Caliden wrote: »
    you need a new sarcasm detector kiddo
    no kiddo I was also being sarcastic!!!

Nailz wrote: »
    No bother mate. I'm only back from a long trip away in Manchester so my brain isn't fully functional, plus the fact I'm listening to metal, so I'm not in the best position to think of pub hits, but I'll think of more later, I'm pretty sure I've more in capacity.

YA perfect man, no probs. That Madness stuff, and Electric Six is ****in nutty ****, only suitable for certain occasions!ha..Thanks again man.

Advertisement