Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning an item?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I purchased a item, and didnt open the item.

Do I have any right to return the item to the store for a refund.

Item is in perfect working order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No you do not.
    You can only do so if the item is faulty, and even then you can only receive a refund repair or replacement at the discretion of the retailer.
    In saying that, some shops like marks and spencer and the likes will generally let you take items back as a goood will gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

No.

ED: As above.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

If you had bought the item online; yes. Under the distance selling act you can change your mind within 7 days. intraEU only, I think. You must pay for return costs.

As the OP said, some stores like M&S yes also.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No you do not.
    You can only do so if the item is faulty, and even then you can only receive a refund repair or replacement at the discretion of the retailer.
    In saying that, some shops like marks and spencer and the likes will generally let you take items back as a goood will gesture.

Further to this, most stores are much more likely to offer a good will gesture of one of the three R's if you have a reciept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

RS6 wrote: »

You don't legally have a right, but you may have the option if the stores policy allows.
    Many high street stores have a 7 or 14 (or even 28) day refund policy if goods are unopened etc...
    Sometimes the receipt (check back) may state this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

RS6 wrote: »

How do you know the item is in perfect working order if you haven't opened it?

Advertisement