Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIDICULOUS

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

When did it become arrogant and snobbish to respect and want to encourage the use of correct spelling and grammar? If you ask me the reverse snobbery on this subject is far, far worse. You literally cannot even comment on a spelling/grammar mistake annoying you on this or other sites without being accused of being a pedant, a dinosaur and myriad other names.

And then, even worse, you get the "I'm dyslexic, how very dare you!" brigade. I find it constantly startling that the percentage of dyslexics on the internet is so much greater than that in the general population...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Honey-ec wrote: »
    When did it become arrogant and snobbish to respect and want to encourage the use of correct spelling and grammar? If you ask me the reverse snobbery on this subject is far, far worse. You literally cannot even comment on a spelling/grammar mistake annoying you on this or other sites without being accused of being a pedant, a dinosaur and myriad other names.

And then, even worse, you get the "I'm dyslexic, how very dare you!" brigade. I find it constantly startling that the percentage of dyslexics on the internet is so much greater than that in the general population...:rolleyes:

It's not arrogant or snobbish to respect and want to encourage the use of spelling and grammar - but there is a way to 'encourage' people. Telling people who have have spelt something incorrectly that they are showing their lack of education is not very encouraging.

And yes, people do suffer from dyslexia and probably find it easier to contribute to internet forums anonymously than they have in real life, where they have possibly dealt with the stigma attached to it for years. People who are dyslexic see things differently to the standardised english that is studied universally. It is actually an amazing thing, but very frustrating for the learner. It is amazing how they learn to cope with their disability. I know a girl with dyslexia, if you write anything out backwards she can read it straight away, but cannot read standardised text. I think this is amazing! I also know a child who can only read something if it is printed on yellow paper.

Fair enough, give out about people who are lazy - dyslexia is not the same thing and should not be discussed as such. It is a disability and reading and writing are everyday challenges for these people. Would you talk about the 'wheelchair' brigade and put a 'rolleyes' smilie man at the end of your sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

If people don't show me respect by making an effort, then I will show them no respect.

It's very easy to figure out who is dyslexic and who is just a lazy arrogant gimp.

Very very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

i didn't bring up the subject of dyslexia - merely responded to another post. And I am all too aware of the bebo culture as a secondary school teacher myself. I agree with your sentiments regarding this culture. I, however, don't agree with a previous poster who said he /she was sick of people who claimed they were dyslexic in order to excuse bad spelling. I don't understand what is wrong with me having a problem with that? These people may genuinely be dyslexic. This is a problem that many people face daily,and should not be trivialised.... "as any English teacher in the country will quickly tell you!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

+ 1

Why do you call yourself"Dolliemix" instead of "Dollymix"??

Why do you call yourself"Dolliemix" instead of "Dollymix"??

Dollymix was already taken:)

Why do you call yourself FlutterinBantam?

Because I'm a frikken bantam and I'm usually fluttering:eek: Right!

• Advertisement
Advertisement