Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help finding a water pump on a seat cordoba

Options
  • 23-12-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the water pump is on a seat Cordoba?

i think my water pump is gone, car is overheating and i am losing water.

The water seems to be coming from a cable going to the alternator but i cant see it coming from any pipes. I cant see any pipes near it.

What i thought was the water pump turns out that it must be the power steering pump as when i followed the pipe from it it lead to the power steering fluid container.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There aren't necessarily any pipes going to the water pump, all you'll see is the pulley and the casing bolted onto the side of the block. The inlet and outlet of the pump will be channels within the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I dont see any water near any of the pulley's the only water i see is on a cable down by the engine sump do you think it could be just a leaking pipe if there is no water near the pulley's

Hard to say, I'm not familiar with the car, the water pump may not even be driven by the alternator belt, on some cars they're driven off the timing belt which will be behind a plastic cover. As for the cable, that may just be the first surface that the water isn;t repelled by and can actually wet. Best bet is to get a mechanic to look at it.
    Is it loosing much water? If not and you're not doing any mad journeys over christmas, just keep it topped up and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I did a timing belt & water pump on this make/model earlier on this year, IIRC, the water pump is in behind the timing belt cover. You won't be able to see with without removing the plastic cover that covers the camshaft & crankshaft timing belt sprockets and the timing belt itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ive found the water pump thanks lads i cant see any water coming from it but the pulley is bouncing all over the place at least i no what the knocking noise is that i was getting So it looks like ill need a new pump hope it solves the problem

Ps it was behind the timing belt cover does that mean that im going to have to change the timing belt

• Advertisement

If the water pump is driven by the timing belt, then I certainly would, even if it's not, when you have it stripped down that far you may as well do it. I'm assuming that these are an SOHC engine so it should be straight forward enough, if it's a DOHC, then it might be better to leave it to an expert. If the water pump pulley is shagged, then make sure to replace the tensioner and any other idler pulleys, etc... too because they'll have been there just as long as the water pump pulley and will have gone through a whole lot more vibration / stress since the water pump pulley went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Do not drive it even a meter now. Yes, you need a new timing belt kit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

samih wrote: »
    Do not drive it even a meter now. Yes, you need a new timing belt kit too.

+1

Looks like you caught it just in time... hope u can get a water pump + new belt on this side of Christmas...

These things always happen at times like this, i remember one good Friday trying to source a petrol pump from BMW! otherwise i would of been without the car over Easter....

Ive found the water pump thanks lads i cant see any water coming from it but the pulley is bouncing all over the place at least i no what the knocking noise is that i was getting So it looks like ill need a new pump hope it solves the problem

Ps it was behind the timing belt cover does that mean that im going to have to change the timing belt

Well there are 2 ways of looking at this...

(1) NEVER put an old timing belt back on a car, this is best practice, so at least replace the timing belt anyway.

(2) Depending on mileage, you should consider changing the timing belt tensioner bearing and the timing belt, as you are changing the water pump anyway.

If I was you, I'd replace the whole lot, water pump, timing belt & timing belt tensioner. Then you won't have to worry about any of these parts again for another 50K.

Also, be careful when doing anything related to a timing belt, if you get it wrong, you're looking at a replacement engine or replacing valves, head gasket, etc.

Also OP, don't even start the engine with this problem. Tow it to a garage or get a call out mechanic but don't on your life even start the engine. You're lucky the timing belt didn't slip and cause serious damage...

• Advertisement
Advertisement