Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powerslam Top 50 2008

• 23-12-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

1. Shawn Michaels (WWE; last year: 8)
    2. KENTA (NOAH; last year: 3)
    3. Nigel Mcguinness (Indy; last year: 2)
    4. Kurt Angle (TNA; last year: 1)
    5. Edge (WWE; last year: 21)
    6. The Undertaker (WWE; last year: 13)
    7. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW; last year: 10)
    8. Naomichi Marufuji (NOAH; last year: 9)
    9. Jeff Hardy (WWE; last year: 23)
    10. Brian Danielson (Indy; last year: 7)
    11. Triple H (WWE; last year: 46)
    12. Katsuhiko Nakajima (Indy; last year: 18)
    13. Kota Ibushi (Indy; last year: NA)
    14. Keiji Muto/The Great Muta (AJPW; last year: NA)
    15. Shingo Takagi (Dragon Gate; last year: NA)
    16. Masato Tanaka (Zero1; last year: NA)
    17. A.J Styles (TNA; last year: 16)
    18. Daisuke Sekimoto (Indy; last year: NA)
    19. Kensuke Sasaki (Indy; last year: 20)
    20. Samoa Joe (TNA; last year: 6)
    21. C.M Punk (WWE; last year: 34)
    22. Takeshi Morishima (NOAH; last year: 11)
    23. Matt Hardy (WWE; last year: 30)
    24. Chris Jericho (WWE; last year: NA)
    25. Christian Cage (Indy; last year: 12)
    26. Yugi Nagata (NJPW; last year: 4)
    27. Batista (WWE; last year: 25)
    28. Shinjiro Ohtani (Zero1; last year: NA)
    29. Randy Orton (WWE; last year: 5)
    30. BXB Hulk (Dragons Gate; last year: NA)
    31. Tyler Black (Indy; last year: NA)
    32. Prince Devitt (NJPW; last year: NA)
    33. Austin Aries (Indy; last year: NA)
    34. Shinsuke Nakamura (NJPW; last year: NA)
    35. Chris Sabin (TNA; last year: 28)
    36. Jay Briscoe (Indy; last year: 14)
    37. Kevin Steen (Indy; last year: 40)
    38. Herooki Goto (NJPW; last year: NA)
    39. Mark Briscoe (Indy; last year: 15)
    40. Jay Lethal (TNA; last year: 24)
    41. Homicide (TNA; last year: 38)
    42. El Generico (Indy; last year: 44)
    43. Jimmy Jacobs (Indy; last year: NA)
    44. John Morrison (WWE; last year: 45)
    45. Alex Shelly (TNA; last year: NA)
    46. Kenta Kobashi (NOAH; last year: NA)
    47. Robert Roode (TNA; last year: NA)
    48. Rey Mysterio (WWE; last year: 49)
    49. Martin Stone (Indy; last year: NA)
    50. Claudio Castagnoli (Indy; last year: 42)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yet Michaels performs week in and week out and still doesn't have a title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

nobody takes PS 50 seriously but at least this year they have a guy at number one who probably deserves to be there. last years list was a complete joke, they had John cena who should have been in top 3 at number 29 behind sabin, umaga and Kotaro Suzuki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yet Michaels performs week in and week out and still doesn't have a title.

I think he does not want the hassle of the belt, and has turned it down before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

Congrats to Prince Devitt. Would I be right in saying he's the first Irish guy to be on the PS 50?

Don't understand how Sabin is ahead of Shelley when I've always thought of Shelley being the stronger of the two. Plus, he's more the mouthpiece of the team too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I think he does not want the hassle of the belt, and has turned it down before.
    Shame really. Very few wrestlers can do both face and heel, carry a belt and wrestle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I always wonder what this is based on? Is KENTA 2nd to appease fans of Japanese wrestling? he has had a decent year, but why is he ahead of Morishima who won the GHC Heavyweight Title this year. Im sure there are a few others in Japan who warrant a higher placing. Add to the fact KENTA has not wrestled in the US all year due to work permit problems.

Chris Jericho behind Matt Hardy? Do they just draw these randonly or what?

Michaels is always a safe top 3 guy, so no real insight into that. But the fact that Jericho is not even top 10 makes that list laughable.

they had matt hardy one place behind cena last year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

Why isnt Jericho up higher..He performed classy week in week out this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Wheres Cena on that list? What a load of cock.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Wheres Cena on that list? What a load of cock.

powerslam hates cena, as i said they listed cena at number 29 last year despite the fact that he single handily carried raw for 9 months of 2007, had 4 star matches with orton, umaga, lashley and michaels, MOTY with michaels on raw, gave khali his best career match, headlined the highest grossing mania in history

• Advertisement

Perhaps the fact Cena has been on the shelf for at least 6 months of this year is the reason he is not included? He should not be there just because he is John Cena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

rossie1977 wrote: »
    powerslam hates cena, as i said they listed cena at number 29 last year despite the fact that he single handily carried raw for 9 months of 2007, had 4 star matches with orton, umaga, lashley and michaels, MOTY with michaels on raw, gave khali his best career match, headlined the highest grossing mania in history

For a start, RAW wasnt carried anywhere but into the gutter!

Secondly, who said these were 4 star matches?(with the exception of Michaels) and we all know the ONLY reason for that is Michaels, he can carry just about anyone.

And lets not even comment on Khali, he doesnt do matches! ;)

Highest grossing mania, becuase of the venue...ooh and FLOYD MONEY Mayweather baby! :rolleyes:

HBK wrote: »
    For a start, RAW wasnt carried anywhere but into the gutter!

Secondly, who said these were 4 star matches?(with the exception of Michaels) and we all know the ONLY reason for that is Michaels, he can carry just about anyone.

And lets not even comment on Khali, he doesnt do matches! ;)

Highest grossing mania, becuase of the venue...ooh and FLOYD MONEY Mayweather baby! :rolleyes:

cena/umaga at royal rumble and cena/lashley at GAB were 4 star, if you watched them you would know that and meltzer also gave both those matches 4 star, cena/khali at ONS was a very entertaining match. in late 2006 early 2007 cena was booked with kevin federline first, then umaga, with khali in may and june, lashley in july and still came out smelling of roses, quite rightly he was named wrestler on the year for 2007 on wrestler observer newsletter

oh btw WM23 didn't have floyd mayweather :rolleyes: and i was talking about buyrate......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

Congrats to Fergie D roll on global impact 2 and best of luck for 09 hope it brings fergie loads of singles gold only three behind Randy Orton which says lots for Fergie's talent

Typically Powerslam I now refuse to buy it anymore its so negative about everything. How can you rate Nigel McGuinness above kurt Angle and Edge are these guys for real and before anyone goes off on one I do watch Ring of Honor

gimmick wrote: »
    Perhaps the fact Cena has been on the shelf for at least 6 months of this year is the reason he is not included? He should not be there just because he is John Cena.

just over 3 months actually, returned at royal rumble, got injured at summerslam and back at SS, orton was on the shelf just as long as cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Another sign that no matter how great Kenta has been for the last four years that his best possible time for a title run in Noah was wasted. **** Misawa

Edit: Just saw Martin Stone at 50 and laughed my ass off. He is a horrible wrestler.

Kenat would not have been accepted as GHC champ, and probably will not be either. Proof of that particyular pudding was Marufujis reign. Thats not to say either are not great, its just the way it is imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Orton was out for ages and he is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kenat would not have been accepted as GHC champ, and probably will not be either. Proof of that particyular pudding was Marufujis reign. Thats not to say either are not great, its just the way it is imo.

Marufuji was a shock win and because there was no build he was quickly refused. Kenta has been ready for a long time but I do see your point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

RAMPAGE1 wrote: »
    Congrats to Fergie D roll on global impact 2 and best of luck for 09 hope it brings fergie loads of singles gold only three behind Randy Orton which says lots for Fergie's talent
    RAMPAGE1 wrote: »
    Typically Powerslam I now refuse to buy it anymore its so negative about everything. How can you rate Nigel McGuinness above kurt Angle and Edge are these guys for real and before anyone goes off on one I do watch Ring of Honor

:confused: On one hand you're congratulating Devitt for his place on the list relative to others and on the other you're criticising the credibility of the list

Fozzy wrote: »
    :confused: On one hand you're congratulating Devitt for his place on the list relative to others and on the other you're criticising the credibility of the list
    Devitts on the list because of his ability not just because of Powerslam and I'm questioning the credibility of a section of the list not the whole list why would you not agree that Angle should be higher up than McGuinness or agree that certain sections of the list are questionable

Why isnt Jericho up higher..He performed classy week in week out this year :(

Yep while HBK being above Chris I can tolerate, Taker, HHH and Punk:eek:
    Seriously Chris had more better matches than those three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Yep while HBK being above Chris I can tolerate, Taker, HHH and Punk:eek:
    Seriously Chris had more better matches than those three.

Powerslam's always had something of an agenda against Jericho- they continually undermine his ability, to an excessive degree. They're the same with Triple H, Mick Foley, and John Cena and also used to be very negative about Chris Benoit when he was at the top of the card. Yet they love certain other guys.. I.e.. Goldberg.
    I agree, Jericho should have been higher.
    Devitts on the list because of his ability not just because of Powerslam and I'm questioning the credibility of a section of the list not the whole list why would you not agree that Angle should be higher up than McGuinness or agree that certain sections of the list are questionable

I think Fozzy's questioning your statements, because on one hand, you've congratulated Devitt on his high position, and at the same time, wrote the magazine off and said you won't buy it again. You can't take a top 50 list and say some of it is credible-and some isn't. Basically that's just an issue of agree/disagree.

For me the high position of Devitt is just as ridiculous as Martin Stone's place. I'd also personally put Nigel just higher than Angle, though i wouldn't see it as a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Everyyear this list gets published, and every year there are people bitching who don't understand how it works.

A wrestler's ranking is based entirely on work-rate. Thats it. Title wins, etc. don't factor in at all.

Everyyear this list gets published, and every year there are people bitching who don't understand how it works.

A wrestler's ranking is based entirely on work-rate. Thats it. Title wins, etc. don't factor in at all.

Still does not justify Jericho being so low, a man lets not forget who has had more quality matches on Raw and PPV than anybody in the division, epsecially Punk and Taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Still does not justify Jericho being so low, a man lets not forget who has had more quality matches on Raw and PPV than anybody in the division, epsecially Punk and Taker.

The problem is Rjd2 that the proposed quality of matches is entirely subjective to the tastes of an individual, which is why a list like this always garners such controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Personally I think Petey Williams should be on the list.

Advertisement