Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At last at 34 I'm a gamer (well I think I will b!)

• 23-12-2008 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Today on the spur of the moment I bought my first "proper" gaming console. I have never seen PS3 or XBOX graphics , I have seen but never looked at properly in shop at those demo stands. I bought COD 3 , PGR4 and PES 08 , I put on this COD yoke and I felt like I was in a state of shock. The graphics are amazing, I sat there for 5 minutes just saying at irregular intervals... "oh my God!!!! I can't believe how real everything looks etc..."
    U bucko boardsies made me buy this with all your fancy xbox threads , I hope you can live with yourselves when I'm divorced and living in the gutter....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha ha good man for joining the gaming world. Graphics are savage alright. Enjoy the games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You think Call of Duty 3 looks nice? You should see what CoD 4 and 5 look like and other games like Gears of War 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

kwalshe wrote: »
    I put on this COD yoke and I felt like I was in a state of shock. The graphics are amazing, I sat there for 5 minutes just saying at irregular intervals... "oh my God!!!! I can't believe how real everything looks etc..."

Jesus man don't do that when playing COD4 online,the campers will have a field day with you.:D:D

Enjoy your gaming future.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Forza looks far better than PGR :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Average gamer is aged 35.. I think? So you started just at the right time. :pac:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Kids these days. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

dazftw wrote: »
    Average gamer is aged 35.. I think? So you started just at the right time. :pac:
    Woo-Hoo! ... That means, I'm just a kid in gaming terms (even though I've been playing for the guts of 20 years!) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

Kwalsh

Divorce .........Divorce , no no young gamer , Buy her a DS lite and she will be more addicted than you , which leaves more to time for gaming madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

amacachi wrote: »

this is true but in Forza it's always the same weather conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Buy a comfy chair for gaming you could be there a while :D

He he COD 3 looks real ?? you ll plop yourself when you see COD 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Get COD4 and Gears of War 1+2.
    You won't regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Perhaps true, but it's also a painfully anal* game. PGR is the perfect game for someone relatively new to racing games.

* bad choice of words perhaps!:p

Enjoy your new purchase OP, do yourself a favour and buy a copy of Geometry Wars 2 from the xbox live store if you have it hooked up to the interweb. Might be time that you learnt that not all games have to be about jaw-dropping graphics:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Not a chance mate. Forza might have 60fps ,great physics and car models but PGR has the better over all grahpics.

Get COD4 and Gears of War 1+2.
    You won't regret it

Get Rockband or Guitar Hero. Rockband 2 IS the best game in my eyes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I hope you can live with yourselves when I'm divorced and living in the gutter....

I believe you can play multiplayer with that game. Buy her a controller for christmas and ye can play together.
    Gears of War is great for that too.

Signed:
    Beruthiel, saving couples since 2002...

btw - welcome to the old fogies club :D

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I believe you can play multiplayer with that game. Buy her a controller for christmas and ye can play together.
    Gears of War is great for that too.

Signed:
    Beruthiel, saving couples since 2002...

btw - welcome to the old fogies club :D

If you want a multiplayer game for the family try "your in the Movies" its a howl with a few friends over and a few drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

id agree with the ds idea. nab her a ds and and r4 card and she will be a gamer overnight. plenty of christmas bundles going too.

you have missed a lot of good games, cod4 is the best of the cod series but stepping into xbox live games now wont go well.

halo3 is worth a swing, dead space is pretty and athmospheric, farcry 2, and what has to be the goty, fallout 3. if you can afford the time fallout 3 requires you will be exploded by how good it is. exploded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Buy a comfy chair for gaming you could be there a while :D

He he COD 3 looks real ?? you ll plop yourself when you see COD 4

Funk that , your lying can it be that much better?. I played until 3:45 last night.. was up for work at 6:30 and hav'nt stopped thinking about it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Funk that , your lying can it be that much better?. I played until 3:45 last night.. was up for work at 6:30 and hav'nt stopped thinking about it....

Ok I promise that if you buy gears of war 1 or 2 - buy 1 actually it'll be cheaper and you might aswell start at the beginning of the story, I reckon you will wet your pants, in the best possible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Make sure you get xbox live and add everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

dude i hated COD 3, traded it in after a week. . .and because of this i was very reluctant to buy COD 4, it was on release about 2-3 months before i gave in. Now, i feel i should send a written apology to Infinity Ward for doubting their genius; Modern Warfare is a masterpiece and possibly the most addictive game I've ever owned (i could be regarded as almost an average aged gamer myself). I won't be bothering with WAW though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

mayordenis wrote: »
    Ok I promise that if you buy gears of war 1 or 2 - buy 1 actually it'll be cheaper and you might aswell start at the beginning of the story, I reckon you will wet your pants, in the best possible way.

Wet me pants ! as me missus would say.. It takes a lot to dampen my gusset, but it was the ad on tv for Gears of war about a month ago that got me wondering what I was missing with gaming lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Def pick up Gears 1 on the cheap and give it a bosh, preferably with a friend on the co-op mode. As for COD 4, gonna agree with all the other posters, maybe the best game of the last few years, if you get it online you'll be sorted for a few years, it's the only game most of my mates play and over a year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

I hope you can live with yourselves when I'm divorced and living in the gutter....
    well its not called the xbox 4 notting:D haha,
    if pgr4 had the racing line you have in forza 2 it woud have to be the best racing game ever,if only carlsberg made video games eh:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Before you go buying anything, let us know what you like in a game. Personally I think Braid (on xbox live) is one of the most awesome games ever constructed but I know people who hated it (they're called "muppets" but we'll get to that in the advanced xbox lessons :) ).

I'm 38 and play xbox almost every evening :)
    If you want graphics, get Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed but they are "free running" games (like those french nutters who run over concrete jungle cities) so you might not like them. Anyway, buy the missus a DS and try to get her into some of the games (hint: women are not particular interested in shootings things or beating things up. They are more complicated then we are :p )

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The GF (well fiancee now :)) bought me an XBox 360 Elite for Christmas :D so I'm new to the world of XBox too! I've come from years of PC gaming though.

She also got me Fifa 09 but I'll be looking to add to this very very shortly...

What I'm looking for:
    - Decent FPS (big fan of the BF2 series on the PC)
    - Decent driving/racer (The latest Need for Speed was suggested)
    - Flight sim/arcade?

Any other recommendations really :) Also, I'll probably need a wireless adapter for Live (or is it really essential just yet?), so any thoughts on where to pick one up at a decent price? I had a look through the use-your-laptop thread, but it seems to have mixed results so the "proper" adapter may be best?

Cheers!

PS: I'm 33! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

U bucko boardsies made me buy this with all your fancy xbox threads , I hope you can live with yourselves when I'm divorced and living in the gutter....

The song to sing to your wife when threatened with divorce! :D Welcome to the gamer club...enjoy it!

🤪

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What I'm looking for:
    - Decent FPS (big fan of the BF2 series on the PC)
    - Decent driving/racer (The latest Need for Speed was suggested)
    - Flight sim/arcade?

Ok, for the FPS you need Call Of Duty 4. if you liked BF you should like that (its a bit more like Counter Strike in fact). Very good FPS. Halo 1/2/3 are obviously also excellent (1 and 3 more then 2 :) )

Driving game: Ok, this is my speciality (weird considering I dont drive in real life). There are a few good options but it depends what you are looking for. Forza 2 is the leader for petrol-heads as it has a great deal of depth in terms of makes and models and the adjustments you can make under the hood. The driving is realistic and you cant really drive like a maniac the way you can in other games. After that they get progressively more "arcadey". Need for Speed, GRID, DiRT etc are all good games but it depends what you are looking for. You could even go for something mental like PURE which is quad bike racing with looney tricks and lots of silly fun!

Flight sims I cant help you. Cant stand the things.

Arcade... not sure what you mean by this but let me suggest a few games I like:
    Fable 2. if you like good Disney style graphics with adventure stuff (and you can both play at the same time as partners)

Carcasonne or Catan (both on LIVE) if you like board games. Civilisation Revolution is also excellent as a war-boardgame.

BRAID (on Live too) if you like puzzle games with a twist.

Soul Calibre is a good fighting game (its like Street Fighter etc, I presume you've seen the style).

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

DeVore wrote: »
    (hint: women are not particular interested in shootings things or beating things up. They are more complicated then we are :p )

DeV.
    And the award for most generalised, sexist statement on a gaming forum goes to...
    :p

Bold DeV, we've already had Beruthiel on here saying she loves shooters, to I need to go get Thaed and Silverfish to pwn you too? :pac:

I hated the first Gears of War with a passion, but played all of GOW2 the other night and found it to be much, much better. It's pretty linear. Been playing Far Cry 2 yesterday and last night and that's quite enjoyable.

DeV mentioned Carcassonne and I can't recommend that enough too. It's a board game, so it's not about the action, but you can play multiplayer and I've yet to meet a person who didn't like it (gamer and non-gamer alike).

Also, for good clean family fun that everyone will love, any of the Lego games like Lego Star Wars (you can get both games rolled into one), Batman or Indiana Jones.

Don't forget to check out the second hand sections in Game, Xtra Vision, Game Stop etc for hidden treasures :)

Most of all, enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

DeVore wrote: »
    (hint: some women are not particular interested in shootings things or beating things up. They are more complicated then we are :p )

DeV.

/sniff

FYP

Advertisement