Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on good wine-tasting course/day-out...

Options
  • 23-12-2008 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

To begin with, a short rant. This is the ideal christmas gift for my gf this year as we've had a growing interest in wine over the past couple of years. I did a quick bit of online research and asking around and found a very reputable place near the Westbury in Dublin. They had the ideal course, a day out including lunch - €300 for the two of us but I figured it'd be good. They took my CC details and told me I could pick up the gift-wrapped voucher tonight (Dec 22nd). My friend was in town and went in to pick it up only for the guy to tell him the course was booked out weeks ago. He put him on the phone to me and having given him the name of who I dealt with (and gave my CC details to!) he made absolutely no apology and said something along the lines of "there's nothing can be done, you'll have to wait til April". The original 'booking' was for February.

Anyway that's the backround of my predicament. I now have no present and am completely miffed.

If anyone could recommend somewhere that would suit I'd really appreciate it. I'd like somewhere fancy. There's plenty of 2 hour evening courses on www.wineboard.ie but I was thinking more along the lines of including dinner, or maybe in a hotel down the country where we could stay the night. Yes, we're interested in learning about wine but we'd me as much doing it for the fun of it and making a day and/or night of it.

Willing to travel within Leinster. Budget approx €150 per person for the course itself. Would be ok with paying more to include hotel, food etc.

Slightly urgent at this stage. All ideas welcomed!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Try Kelly's in Rosslare - they do a french wine weekend thing regularly enough. I think I heard Macreddin in Co. Wicklow had something similar. Also Ballymaloe's wine appreciation weekend course is run by Mary Dowey (used to be the Irish Times wine writer) but I'd say its pricey.

Finally, try La Cave on Annes St or Mitchells for wine tasting evenings. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Anyone know a good course in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Check out www.winecourse.ie if you're still looking

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

NTC wrote: »
    Anyone know a good course in galway?

GTI also do courses, cheaper than the wineboad ones and generally tought by ex-wineboard people,

also check lohans, cases and keep an eye in the papers for wine fair type things like mcambridges christmas one where you can talk to the reps and ask them questions to your hearts content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ellie2528

I know its short notice, but theres a wine appreciation course starting tomorrow night in GMIT as far as I know. 7-10 for 10 weeks or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement