Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Coughlan - Your views

Options
  • 23-12-2008 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

The more I watch our Tanaiste in action, the more she strikes fear in me. If this is the best Brian Cowen has to be his 2nd in command, we're all screwed.
    Before she was appointed the talk was of how smart and capable she was. She has only shown herself to be anything but capable in her position. (Along with most of the Government). Now I am a neutral, politically speaking. I would vote FF mostly, but I am really worried about the direction we are recieving from the cabinet.
    Does anybody else think its time Mary was moved on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I don't make this comment lightly, but I think she is the most useless and incapable person in the Dail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I don't make this comment lightly, but I think she is the most useless and incapable person in the Dail...

She's not, but she's the most useless person to have ever got as high as she has.

She is there because Cowen likes her.
    Lenihan is there because Cowen fears him politically.

Neither appointment have anything to do with competence, building the best team, etc. We have a politial culture where Mercs are given out for geographical reasons rather than political competence.

The Dail is full of idiots (my own party, FG included).
    We could scrape a decent cabinet from the 166 present, just.

Kenny
    Bruton
    Reilly
    Gormley
    Ryan
    Harney (not in health)
    Lenihan (not in Finance, Justice)
    Ned O'Keefe
    Dermot Ahern
    Michael Martin
    Eamon Gilmore
    Ruairi Quinn
    Howlin
    Rabbitte.

Thats in no particular order, nor portfolio order (except exclusions).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

meriwether wrote: »
    She's not, but she's the most useless person to have ever got as high as she has.

Neither appointment have anything to do with competence, building the best team, etc. We have a politial culture where Mercs are given out for geographical reasons rather than political competence.

Kenny
    Bruton
    Reilly
    Gormley
    Ryan
    Harney (not in health)
    Ned O'Keefe
    Dermot Ahern
    Michael Martin
    Eamon Gilmore
    Ruairi Quinn
    Howlin
    Rabbitte.

How about adding a few senators into the mix-
    Shane Ross,
    Fergal Quinn,
    David Norris,
    Francis Fitzgerald

and from the Dail- I'd add Mary Upton to the list too

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Norris and Gormley in a "Dream Team"?

Are you guys taking the piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Mary Coughlan = Lightweight.

She is absolutely no threat to Cowan, so is probably quite safe in her position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I was certainly not startled by the apparent intelligence of the Minister for ETE; there was minimal care as to what was going on, and I got the sense of a lack of interest. Might have been an off-day, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Mary Coughlan = Lightweight.
    Mary Coughlan = Company Man.

I can't hear the words 'Mary Coughlan' without hearing the words 'Windows Pension'.

Start hoarding canned goods. We're doomed. Seriously. We're doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Gormley and Ryan come on get a grip I really hope and i firmly believe the Greens will go the way of the PD's after the next election which cant happen soon enough for this country!

As for Ms Coughlan without question the worst tanaiste if not in the history of the state then certainly in living memory. What must Michael Dell have though of our high power delegration of Coughlan and the tash ODea probably reaffirmed his resolve to pull out. Now were been asked to Send Cowen over that will really annoy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Kenny
    Bruton
    Reilly
    Gormley
    Ryan
    Harney (not in health)
    Ned O'Keefe
    Dermot Ahern
    Michael Martin
    Eamon Gilmore
    Ruairi Quinn
    Howlin
    Rabbitte.

NO no no, never in a million years have Gormless or the ever so smug Ryan.
    Matta Harney was in enterprise when everthing was going great so she didn't have to do much.
    She has ruined health and won't get off her fat ar** and admit she has failed miserably (and yes I will make reference to the fact she is fat, since it is us that are paying for the car or airplane under it and probably for most of the meals going into her big gob).

Maybe one of the Andrews, but that is about it for FF.
    There are just too corrupt and deviod of any moraL standing or believes other than getting reelected at all costs.
    I would not have Joan Burton within an asses roar of a ministry.
    Quinn was a good minister, Howlin is wasted where he is.

Yeah Dermot Ahern and his great idea to fight crime, taker handguns off those that are law abiding citizens, with no criminal records, but let the criminals off with slap on wrist :rolleyes:

I would give a job to Shane Ross, Fergal Quinn and Norris.
    At least they have principles, stand up for something and have an idea of what they talk about.
    I would try and lure Ivan Yates and Alan Dukes back.
    They would make excellent contribution to a cabinet.

Just my ideas but at least some of the above have shown some qualities other than self preservation ala the current crowd.

Coughlan is there because she is loyal supporter of Biffo, pure and simple.
    Just like Cullen is there because the south east, ala Waterford "needs" a high ranking Minister.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I must confess that I would love to go drinking with Mary Coughlan.

I think that she was decent in most of her previous portfolios, and I don't think she is the most incompetant in the Dail.

Meriwether's list
    Kenny - His one lasting achievement as minister was opening the way for awful one-off housing eyestores down the country (a decision which was unfortunately followed by other governments), but I think he could be a decent minister.

Bruton - The economic plan that FG came up with (written by Bruton), was poor imo, but I have huge respect for Bruton, and he would be in my top 5 parlimentarians.

Reilly - The man was head of the IMO, and opposed all progress in the health service for as long as he could, refusing any renegotiating of contracts etc. I would be doubtful that he could fix anything.

Gormley - Not sure on him tbh. He has managed to accomplish some good things as minister though.
    Ryan - Ditto

Harney (not in health) - Harney would probably leave if you took her out of health, her only reason for staying atm is pretty much that she wants to fix it. That said, she was a great minister with a lot of accomplishments and a 70%+ approval rating before health so....

Lenihan (not in Finance, Justice) - I dislike his stance on alcohol, but given his family I undertand it. I think he was much more suited o Justice tbh.

Ned O'Keefe - Don't know enough about him to comment.

Dermot Ahern - Highly intelligent man, with solid performances in every portfolio.

Michael Martin - Pisses me off. But that is no reason not to give him a ministery. His performance has been 'varied' but overall fair.

Eamon Gilmore - Great speaker, smart man.

Ruairi Quinn - Good head on his shoulders.

Howlin - Really? What has he ever done?

Rabbitte. - I'm not sure about that, I saw nothing from him that would make me think he was intelligent as well as verbose.

smccarrick
    Shane Ross, - A loud mouth, with often poorly researched opinions. He is the AH of the Dail (or the Biggins), and the only reason he deserves a nod would be his work on the Fás 'issue'.

Fergal Quinn, - I think he would be good.

David Norris, - He's insane. Funny man, and entertaining, but I would not let him near any real power.

Francis Fitzgerald - could be good.

and from the Dail- I'd add Mary Upton to the list too - Don't know enough.

My own additions
    Dick Roche - **** beyond measure in Environment, but did excellently the first time in European affairs (thats why he got environment).

John O'Donoghue - Again a man thrust into a portfolio that did not suit him, but his performance in Arts was actually excellent, as were his performances in previous portfolios.

Barry Andrews - I think he could become one of the better ministers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Neither appointment have anything to do with competence, building the best team, etc.
    As Mary O'Rourke once stated....The party comes first - God help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

John O'Donoghue - Again a man thrust into a portfolio that did not suit him, but his performance in Arts was actually excellent, as were his performances in previous portfolios.

Indeed, he excellently funnelled a sh1t load of lottery money to Kerry. An excellent Minister.

John O'Donoghue is precisely what is wrong with Irish politics.

And Coughlan is thick as fuck.

Her usual MO is to turn up, laugh, tell some to eff off, laugh, show the teeth, laugh and go.

True leadership. I'm sure Dell was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

He is all that is rotten in Irish Politics - just look at him ! His arrogance and mannerisms are that of the Haughey era and his only qualification for politics is that of his family name. We've had enough of this kind of incestuous politics. Let's grow up and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

dresden8 wrote: »
    Indeed, he excellently funnelled a sh1t load of lottery money to Kerry. An excellent Minister.

John O'Donoghue is precisely what is wrong with Irish politics.

And Coughlan is thick as fuck.

Her usual MO is to turn up, laugh, tell some to eff off, laugh, show the teeth, laugh and go.

True leadership. I'm sure Dell was impressed.
    shes like a roaring hyena

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think that she was decent in most of her previous portfolios, and I don't think she is the most incompetant in the Dail.

Would have to agree there. Decent Minister, not spectacular. That has been the case with many Tanaiste, thinking of Barry for FG and Wilson for FF, it really is only a figure head role, I don't lend much credence to it..
    Meriwether's list
    Kenny - His one lasting achievement as minister was opening the way for awful one-off housing eyestores down the country (a decision which was unfortunately followed by other governments), but I think he could be a decent minister.

Probably could be decent, it is hard to know seeing as he only had a couple of years. Definitely not party leadership material though.
    Bruton - The economic plan that FG came up with (written by Bruton), was poor imo, but I have huge respect for Bruton, and he would be in my top 5 parlimentarians.

Agreed, maybe enterprise. I can see him bottling the big decisions.
    Reilly - The man was head of the IMO, and opposed all progress in the health service for as long as he could, refusing any renegotiating of contracts etc. I would be doubtful that he could fix anything.

Good God, was he the spokesman for Health during the Election. Harney made him sound useless and made colocation (were'd it go?) sound great!
    Gormley - Not sure on him tbh. He has managed to accomplish some good things as minister though.
    Ryan - Ditto

Agreed, only in their current portfolios really.
    Harney (not in health) - Harney would probably leave if you took her out of health, her only reason for staying atm is pretty much that she wants to fix it. That said, she was a great minister with a lot of accomplishments and a 70%+ approval rating before health so....

I thought she could do some good, undoubtedly there has been some improvements but it will be extremely difficult to get anymore with the economic difficulties. Bring back McCreevy!
    Lenihan (not in Finance, Justice) - I dislike his stance on alcohol, but given his family I undertand it. I think he was much more suited o Justice tbh.

Time will tell if he was decisive and correct. Times are too uncertain to know. Hasn't impressed me on resisting protests and the Medical Card issue should have been seen.
    Ned O'Keefe - Don't know enough about him to comment.

Same here, seems an administrator.
    Dermot Ahern - Highly intelligent man, with solid performances in every portfolio.

Seems reasonably ok, maybe decent Taoiseach material.
    Michael Martin - Pisses me off. But that is no reason not to give him a ministery. His performance has been 'varied' but overall fair.

Think he has potential but time to deliver it. Was a good performer in the General Election and one of the few for Lisbon. Not delivering on the "Taoiseach" material label by the media.
    Eamon Gilmore - Great speaker, smart man.

Agreed, though the proof will be during election time, more effective than Rabbitte.
    Ruairi Quinn - Good head on his shoulders.
    Never really liked him. Couldn't put him in Health, Education or SW so maybe Justice?
    Howlin - Really? What has he ever done?

Like him but actually your point is good. Doesn't seem to be substance to the good talk.
    Rabbitte. - I'm not sure about that, I saw nothing from him that would make me think he was intelligent as well as verbose.

Have to agree there.
    smccarrick
    Shane Ross, - A loud mouth, with often poorly researched opinions. He is the AH of the Dail (or the Biggins), and the only reason he deserves a nod would be his work on the Fás 'issue'.

True, very populist in a non populist type of way!
    Fergal Quinn, - I think he would be good.

Indeed, think, worth a try I suppose.
    David Norris, - He's insane. Funny man, and entertaining, but I would not let him near any real power.

Ach I don't know, talks sense at times. He didn't jump on the bandwagon with the Pork crisis and realised the Govt. were damned if they did...........
    Francis Fitzgerald - could be good.

and from the Dail- I'd add Mary Upton to the list too - Don't know enough.

Hard to know.

My own additions
    Dick Roche - **** beyond measure in Environment, but did excellently the first time in European affairs (thats why he got environment).

Can't stand him!

Seems to be very intelligent but too much a "cute Kerryman for me".

Reasonable I'd say.
    juuge wrote: »
    As Mary O'Rourke once stated....The party comes first - God help us all.

That would apply to 95% of politicians.

I'd add Alan Shatter for Children and Equality.

Olwyn because she looks well!

Maybe Fergus O'Dowd.

FF, Biily Kelleher may have potential.

Noel Dempsey, prone to gaffs but will speak his mind, eg. 3rd level fees.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i never rated her in any post the sooner she goes the better i agree with other posters the greens will go the same way as the pd's next time round if all the can come up with with is change the light bulbes and a few bicycles might be of some use in dublin not much use here in the country with little or no public transport :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ryan is as thick and as utterly visionless and unprincipled as is Mary Coughlan . He should be disposed of for the same reason as the useless Coughlan :(

Gormley has some promise. So does Ciarán Cuffe but Cuffe has no experience at this time .

O Cuiv and Seán Ardagh are not clueless or lacking in the essential pragmatic patriotism required of a government of national unity either , unlike Coughlan and Ryan.

Is there no blueshirt with a brain ...looking at that list ...I thought Michael Noonan deserved a mention as well as Shatter and Enright ...Shatter should surely be cabinet material ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So does Ciarán Cuffe but Cuffe has no experience at this time.
    Cuffe? Cuffe is useless beyond measure, I'd keep Ryan in before him any day.

Cuffe is one of those politicians that manages to do no real national or local work, yet convinces everyone that they aren't doing one because they are doing the other.

Grand so , no Cuffe either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Cuffe is one of those politicians that manages to do no real national or local work, yet convinces everyone that they aren't doing one because they are doing the other.

That is showing more acumen than the majority of our politicians!

• Advertisement

True.

Conor Cruise O Brien was the most useless Minister for Communications of the lot , even worse than Eamon Ryan and Noel Dempsey ....and that is saying something :(

Yet Conor had 'acumen' !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

What sort of person even voted Cuffe in the first place. How did he get elected in the first place, he is a fool and does not seem to have any redeeming features at all.

I remember hearing an interview with Micheal O'Leary and Kevin Myers on Newstalk and he was absolutely ripped to pieces on an issue he was right on but still messed it up.

I'd agree with most of what The Minister and Seanie said but personally I would like to see Joe Higgins as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

What sort of person even voted Cuffe in the first place. How did he get elected in the first place, he is a fool and does not seem to have any redeeming features at all.
    Anyone in Dun Laoghaire who once thought the Greens had principles. He'll be gone after the next election, he barely beat Richard Boyd Barrett last time (now that would have been interesting...)
    personally I would like to see Joe Higgins as Taoiseach.
    He'd be entertaining but personally I'd rather a dictatorship led by a triumvirate of Haughey, Lawlor and Flynn.

On topic, has Mary Coughlan done anything other than smile sarcastically and whinge to Michael Dell (now that was cringeworthy) since being appointed Tánaiste?
    Seanies32 wrote: »
    Good God, was he the spokesman for Health during the Election. Harney made him sound useless and made colocation (were'd it go?) sound great!
    No, that was Liam Twomey. Reilly was elected for the first time in 2007 and has been very impressive by all accounts. Prior to that he was the president of the IMO, a point which a lot of people like to use against him, but in reality he did the job he was appointed to do at the time very well. I believe he would do the same as Minister for Health.

Anyway, the list:

Kenny - generally a poor media performer but a top quality leader.

Bruton - speaks nothing but sense, and the vast majority of people seem to agree, whether they'd ever vote FG or not.

Reilly - see above.

Gormley - I'd like to see him appear in the Dáil now and then. Seems a bit fixated on minor issues, and I've lost all respect for the Greens in general, but I think he could have been a lot more effective if they'd got Transport as well.

Ryan - his mannerisms irritate me, but he's far from the worst in there.

Harney (not in health) - she's been an absolute disaster in Health, and I don't think we're ever going to see her in another position again, but despite my regular disagreement with her ideology I have a grudging admiration for her.

Lenihan (not in Finance, Justice) - I'd have liked to have seen him left in Justice a while longer, I think it would have suited him. A disaster so far in Finance, and I've a suspicion his appointment to the post was no accident.

Ned O'Keefe - Who? :p

Dermot Ahern - probably the best FF have right now.

Michael Martin - irritates me, but I give him a lot of credit for the smoking ban. Fairly OK.

Eamon Gilmore - don't agree with everything he says, but do agree with the vast majority of it. Very principled, a strong politician and an excellent speaker. He'd make a great Tánaiste (or Taoiseach, but that'll never happen.) Maybe Justice?

Ruairi Quinn - Level-headed and experienced. He'd be a welcome addition to any Cabinet.

Howlin - Not sure. I don't know a huge amount about him, although that's probably my fault rather than his. Any notable achievements?

Rabbitte - decent, would make a fairly good minister, but I'm glad Gilmore's the leader these days.

Shane Ross - impressive, but it's easy to do so in the Seanad. I'd like to see him given the chance though.

Fergal Quinn - as for Shane Ross, but again would be worth a shot.

David Norris - Great admiration for this man. He thinks outside the box. I'll have to qualify it the same way as the other two though. Has he ever run for the Dáil actually?

Francis Fitzgerald - Who's he? Frances Fitzgerald would probably be good, but I'll stick my 'Seanad' statement from above on as well.

Mary Upton - Don't know enough.

Dick Roche - I'm not even going there.

John O'Donoghue - blows up too easily.

Barry Andrews - his father/uncle/whatever might have had something going for him. I don't think Barry does, too snide, although a spell in Opposition might sort that out.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I believe he would be equally as compromised as Harney as health minister.

Seriously though it is depressing to see the amount of useless people in the Dail.

Cuffe? Cuffe is useless beyond measure, I'd keep Ryan in before him any day.

Seems to be all PR really, no major substance to him.
    True.

Conor Cruise O Brien was the most useless Minister for Communications of the lot , even worse than Eamon Ryan and Noel Dempsey ....and that is saying something :(

Yet Conor had 'acumen' !

Indeed, though he had strong principles, too strong at times!

I think Garrett would be a better example of the above.

I remember hearing an interview with Micheal O'Leary and Kevin Myers on Newstalk and he was absolutely ripped to pieces on an issue he was right on but still messed it up.

I'd agree with most of what The Minister and Seanie said but personally I would like to see Joe Higgins as Taoiseach.

Ah, I'd love that, seriously. He wouldn't know what to fix first!
    Breezer wrote: »
    Anyone in Dun Laoghaire who once thought the Greens had principles. He'll be gone after the next election, he barely beat Richard Boyd Barrett last time (now that would have been interesting...)

He'd be entertaining but personally I'd rather a dictatorship led by a triumvirate of Haughey, Lawlor and Flynn.

On topic, has Mary Coughlan done anything other than smile sarcastically and whinge to Michael Dell (now that was cringeworthy) since being appointed Tánaiste?

No, that was Liam Twomey. Reilly was elected for the first time in 2007 and has been very impressive by all accounts. Prior to that he was the president of the IMO, a point which a lot of people like to use against him, but in reality he did the job he was appointed to do at the time very well. I believe he would do the same as Minister for Health.

Coughlan really is the same as most of the other Ministers though in that respect. Dermot Ahern would have been the best choice.

Cheers, Jaysus Twomey was bad. Harney beat him hands down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Gormley has some promise. So does Ciarán Cuffe but Cuffe has no experience at this time .O ???

Sorry Cant see it all this clown has managed to do is destroy the motor industry and cost the exchequer millions in the process with his CO2 tax changes. I have a house I cant sell and to add to mine and anybody elses difficulties from from Jan 1st this idiot is going to cost me almost a grand and probably more to have the house energy rated and then make what ever fcuking changes the ratings auditor recommends to achieve a better rating as its a 40 yr old house . Cant wait for these tossres to knock on my door for the local elections which will probably be the same door as the one im at today tks to the snots.

BER is pre Gormley , Cullen possibly but an EU directive was involved somewhere??

Darsad wrote: »
    Sorry Cant see it all this clown has managed to do is destroy the motor industry and cost the exchequer millions in the process with his CO2 tax changes. I have a house I cant sell and to add to mine and anybody elses difficulties from from Jan 1st this idiot is going to cost me almost a grand and probably more to have the house energy rated and then make what ever fcuking changes the ratings auditor recommends to achieve a better rating as its a 40 yr old house . Cant wait for these tossres to knock on my door for the local elections which will probably be the same door as the one im at today tks to the snots.

All I Can see from your post, is:

YOU, made wrong decisions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I can't hear the words 'Mary Coughlan' without hearing the words 'Windows Pension'.

What??

All of Fianna Fáil are compromised in my eyes by the Anglo-Irish Bank bail-out. David McWilliams has a sharp piece on it here:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/botched-bank-job-is-the-economics-of-noddyland-1584699.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/8ra53b

As for Harney, hasn't she said she won't stand in the next election?

• Advertisement

Seanies32 wrote: »
    All I Can see from your post, is:

YOU, made wrong decisions!

Can you enlighten me as to where I went wrong ! EU directive or not Gormley was the one who acceleraed its imposition when the world and its mother knew the housing Ind was going to take a bath !!

Advertisement