Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A call to action against Libertas

Options
  • 23-12-2008 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

This is a call to action against the impending treat that is Libertas, this year Ireland voted no to the Lisbon treaty, A document created my the leaders of our communities around Europe to give democracy back to the people. A legal document was put before the populace of Ireland, Libertas played on our difficulties reading and understanding this document,

We believe this organization driven by its founder Declan Ganley has but one goal the attainment of power in Europe for their sole purposes,

We believe Declan Ganley after amassing a fast fortune of over a quarter of a billion Euro now thirsts for real power in the political world and will use lies and deceit to attain this.

The story of Libertas and Declan Ganely in our view shows a stark Resemblance to that of the recent star wars movies,where the dark sith lord fooled the union into giving him power due to fear of something that did not exist.

Libertas is using FEAR to obtain power for there own means,

These must be stopped before it is too late

Before power is trust upon them in the up coming European elections because of the fear and lies the organization spreads.

This is not a yes to Lisbon campaign , it is a no to Libertas

please get in touch and join the fight

expect us

by

anonymous

Project United We Stand

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

didnt see star wars. Definately voting no this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Ireland already has democracy, we voted NO. I will do so again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I don't know if the OP is a joke or something, anonymous being those 4chan guys? Anyway, campaigned for a Yes last time and may do so again if I have time. Definitely voting Yes anyway. Libertas are a shady bunch all right and while we need to avoid the crazy extreme language, they should be subject to as much public scrutiny as possible.

Ireland already has democracy, we voted NO. I will do so again. :cool:
    I didnt vote last time but am this time. Pissed off that the country voted no but them plonkers are not happy with that so ill vote no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

But you are Yes to Lisbon aren't you, tobias_wolf?

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    I didnt vote last time but am this time. Pissed off that the country voted no but them plonkers are not happy with that so ill vote no.
    Surely you'd rather vote on the actual contents of the treaty? Lisbon is a good deal for Ireland, we shouldn't let a few annoying politicians ruin it for us by voting it down just to get back at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tobias_wolf

Ireland already has democracy, we voted NO. I will do so again.

Large areas of Ireland decision making has already been transfered to the EU(under previous treaties Nice Amsterdam etc) to the commission, who is the only body who can make proposals on policy , and the council of minsters who is made up of our heads of states and ministries , this has caused what is called a “democratic deficit” meaning unelected people in Europe in some instance have power over elected ones such as the European parliament . One of Lisbons main purposes is the transfer of power back from Europe to Ireland , thus restoring and improving our democracy in Ireland.

This article further explains this in depth

http://europa.eu/lisbon_treaty/index_en.htm

this is a thread against the power hungry Libertrash , and takes no stance on Sinn Fein or any other no alliance who's stance is founded on political beliefs.

by

anonymous

Project United We Stand

Surely you'd rather vote on the actual contents of the treaty? Lisbon is a good deal for Ireland, we shouldn't let a few annoying politicians ruin it for us by voting it down just to get back at them.
    sure i dont understand it anyways. Im easily led ill vote yes cos ya seem sound. Lol

,8,1 wrote: »
    But you are Yes to Lisbon aren't you, tobias_wolf?

We are against thirst for power instead of thirst for change,

only libertas interests us.

knowledge is free

by

anonymous

Project United We Stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

knowlage is free

As posted
    by anonymous

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Tobias ... I'm a Yes voter.

Witch-hunting Libertas won them the high moral ground last time. ooo small party they sound good and just look at those sound bites FFS

Let's not fall into this trap again

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If all the people who openly addmitted voteing no because they didnt understand it (ie didnt educate themselves) actually read up on it, would it still have been defeated? It can only have swung back the other way if they did (just depends on hoiw much).

Stekelly wrote: »
    If all the people who openly addmitted voteing no because they didnt understand it (ie didnt educate themselves) actually read up on it, would it still have been defeated? It can only have swung back the other way if they did (just depends on hoiw much).

Considering that both the Eurobarometer and mrbi polls revealed that not knowing enough about the Treaty was the single biggest reason people voted No, I'd say the swing in favour would be quite considerable if we managed to educate most people about the Treaty. Enough to pass it comfortably, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭techdiver

Stekelly wrote: »

Without a degree in Law it is impossible to interpret the entire text and what it outlines. Many of our own Judges couldn't decipher the legal ramifications contained in the text and because of these ambiguities, many of the "legal" amendments in the treaty could be open to challenge in European Court.

If the leaders in the EU had any cop on what so ever, they would have constructed a document that is a plain simple constitution. Instead the arrogance of the EU leaders came to the fore with this tripe document, and the assumption that the "sheep" citizens of the member states would ratify the document and trust their leaders.

Remember other countries afforded a vote on Lisbon's predecessor, voted it down. So it is not just Ireland that are full of "ignorant people", who don't understand the will of the political elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Lisbon is a good deal for Ireland, we shouldn't let a few annoying politicians ruin it for us by voting it down just to get back at them.

Of course that's exactly the way the Yes-folk spin it when the Irish vote Lisbon down.

Call it an "anti-Government" vote to save their own asses.
    Project United We Stand

Shouldn't that be Project Yes to EU Constitution/Lisbon Treaty? Jeez, drop the charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I prefer star trek to starwars , can I still vote no ?

techdiver wrote: »
    Without a degree in Law it is impossible to interpret the entire text and what it outlines. Many of our own Judges couldn't decipher the legal ramifications contained in the text and because of these ambiguities, many of the "legal" amendments in the treaty could be open to challenge in European Court.

If the leaders in the EU had any cop on what so ever, they would have constructed a document that is a plain simple constitution. Instead the arrogance of the EU leaders came to the fore with this tripe document, and the assumption that the "sheep" citizens of the member states would ratify the document and trust their leaders.

Remember other countries afforded a vote on Lisbon's predecessor, voted it down. So it is not just Ireland that are full of "ignorant people", who don't understand the will of the political elite.
    There was one instance where the Referendum Commission failed to immediately produce an interpretation of one of the provisions of the Treaty, which they later rectified. The Treaty has to be read in context and obviously come legal knowledge is necessary but that's how it is with any legal document. It might seem like a good idea on the surface to create a short simply worded document to consolidate and reform the foundational law of the EU but short simple language is also vague language. The alternative of drafting a long-winded and complex legal document is entertaining hundreds, possibly thousands of cases in the ECJ about the interpretation of the Treaty, which would be extremely costly and lengthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Libertas is second only to Scientology in it's shadiness. Ganley's a creep, but he's no Darth Vader :)
    People will happily vote yes just to pee him off.

,8,1 wrote: »
    Of course that's exactly the way the Yes-folk spin it when the Irish vote Lisbon down.

Call it an "anti-Government" vote to save their own asses.
    I'm not talking about the anti-government vote. I'm talking about people who want to vote No to a second Lisbon because of the behaviour of European politicians in the aftermath of the first vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How many legal documents have you read? How many loopholes can be plugged in plain, readable text that cant be twisted and picked apart by lawyers who have dedicated their lives to doing just that?

It wasnt put together to be an easy read item for jjob public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »
    What's your point? Are you suggesting we string Ganley in front of a tribunal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The Treaty is no more complex than any of the other EU treaties were. They're not intended as a guide to what the citizen gets out of Europe, they're designed as a legal straitjacket on the operations of Europe and a legal contract on how it operates.

Like any good legal contract, you are advised to seek good legal counsel in understanding it. A contract the layman can read usually won't stand up in court (the court in this case being the ECJ, and the disputants would be the governments). Even Libertas are only calling for a "simple constitution" in addition to the treaties, not to replace them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Aha I knew there was something in that Star Wars analogy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

This is a call to action against...

Yawnn........I was not planning to vote for Libertas should they run for power but now I think I will....

When they are in power I'll use their secret police to clamp down on moronic opinions :D

daveirl wrote: »
    No it's not... people go on about how shady FF are all the time. Just because one of our political parties is corrupt, should we be disallowed from voicing concerns about suspect political organizations?

Not that I particularly care about Ganley's shadiness. There are much better reasons to oppose Libertas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭techdiver

There was one instance where the Referendum Commission failed to immediately produce an interpretation of one of the provisions of the Treaty, which they later rectified.

That's my point. If the commission cannot immediatley interpret the text how can ordinary Joe Soap do so. And remember doddering over the issue doesn't instill confidence in the members of the comission that produced the interpretation and also it must be stated that an interpretation is an interpretation, not a iron clad legal fact.

Getting the leagl assurances is the right direction, but it may be too late as the trust is not there. They should have secured the leagal guareentees before the treferendum as they should have know the sore points that were raised.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete "No" voter, I am a swing voter on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

That's my point. If the commission cannot immediatley interpret the text how can ordinary Joe Soap do so. And remember doddering over the issue doesn't instill confidence in the members of the comission that produced the interpretation and also it must be stated that an interpretation is an interpretation, not a iron clad legal fact.

Getting the leagl assurances is the right direction, but it may be too late as the trust is not there. They should have secured the leagal guareentees before the treferendum as they should have know the sore points that were raised.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete "No" voter, I am a swing voter on this issue.

Why does the Referendum Commission need to be able to produce an interpretation immediately, though? Surely the Referendum Commission is supposed to take a bit of time about their answers - put in a bit of thought and produce a proper answer, rather than just pretending they knew all along? They're not politicians, after all.

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    I prefer star trek to starwars , can I still vote no ?

definitely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement