Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to clean h/d

• 23-12-2008 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have an external h/d which has Ubuntu 8.04 installed on it. Since it's the amd alternative version, I'm just going to wipe and start again with 8.10 386. I've gone back into windows and used Ext2IFS to map the 2 partitions (main and /swap). Can I now just use the format command from Windows Explorer? Or is there a better way to do this? I was considering just doing the live-CD install and let parted do its thing, but I'm not sure it would let me override existing partitions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Gparted in the Ubuntu install process can do all that for you. You can choose manual partitioning if you like. The file format should be ext3, I think that's the best one to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

From inside Linux, find out which is your maindisk (often /dev/sdX or hdX) and then do the following command:

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdX1

That will clean the entire disk, not just partition tables. It's possible that data is irrevocably lost afterward. Be very very very cautious when selecting the disk.

I've done pretty much the exact same thing a couple of times using gparted.. worked perfectly each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

gagomes wrote: »
    From inside Linux, find out which is your maindisk (often /dev/sdX or hdX) and then do the following command:

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdX1

That will clean the entire disk, not just partition tables. It's possible that data is irrevocably lost afterward. Be very very very cautious when selecting the disk.
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx

or better, but slower

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

If you want to be ultra paranoid about any data that might be on it download DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke). That'll wipe it clean enough!

Then format with gparted or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

If you are installing another version of Linux then you should be given the option to partition and / or format the disk during the install progress. (no need to use windows)

I;ve a separate swap (2gb), boot (100mb), root (20GB) and home partitions. So, like recently when I changed to suse (kde) from Kubuntu most of my settings and all of my documents where still there.

BTW; I'm going to try portable suse (it's a script that will copy an existing Suse installation onto a portable HDD so you can use it on other computers that can boot from a USB HDD)

Advertisement