Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mite as well start training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

part 2...on from mullingar towards athboy nothing as exciting as the previous leg apart from the rain and the speeding cars..thought i heard banjos goin through some of the parish's.the leg to Naaaavan was mostly on motorway so not too much happening there until we got to the town centre.padraig "knew" were the shop was,so with my bad record of navigating wildly exagerated ,i went wit him,result--extra3 miles around the town.the shop was next to a pub were the owner lamented his lack of sales(i think he was the priest in father ted wit the most borin voice),so liquid refreshnent was calld for.this charity run was more akin to a stags doo by now so a bit of sobriety was calld for and we only had 1..we had a mile left to go to the hotel so off we went...end of part 2...

part 3...got to the hotel ,happy days ,a wedding was on .just wat we needed---loud music and drunk middle aged women.so a quiet nite out was organised wit some health food and mineral water and on re-arrival a sentry was posted on one persons door;).so wit a crap nites sleep due to ouur neighbours inability to use a swipecard door key:mad::mad: and the usual hulubula associated wit weddings,it was up again for a slap up breakfast to set us up for the day ahead.there was only 50 odd k left for today,so we broke the legs into 7ks each.paraig first,then me,then se and john went together.two other guys met up wit us in dunshocklin,sean and jarlath and then we all did the last 4/5k together,slowin up to get to the finish at 2pm to rapturus fanfare.so all in we had a great weekend of runnin and fund raisin and boozin........50k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

ultraman1 wrote: »

so wit a crap nites sleep due to ouur neighbours inability to use a swipecard door key:mad::mad:

Clearly it was your other neighbour;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

A Stag weekend for Runners. Now there's an idea :rolleyes:

wednes ,....did 1.2k around a grass track and was bollixd....lord help me,....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

+1 best of luck in Connemara. Enjoy..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done ultraman, savage stuff, looking forward to the gory details...

saturday/sunday.. am a bit sore and achey after the run,will do a report in a while when i remeber what happened.had a great weekend wit a great crew who looked after me very well,i had as director of operations "mantra dave".my nutritionist and cook "super dave",my drive peter"ned" flanders,head (s)pacer ferg....................100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats man can't wait for the report, kind of can't get my head around covering that distance :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Wonderful stuff ultraman1

Your usual report style will do just fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Abhainn wrote: »
    Wonderful stuff ultraman1

Your usual report style will do just fine:D

Congrats mate, I was delighted to get the updates from you on Saturday. Looking forward to your report.

tuesday....brought my daughter to athletics training,i ended up doin a really sneaki 5km and feel all the better for it...................3

just spent the best part of an hou doin a fcukin report and its fcukd off to cyber space:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

S***e. Could only have happened to you ultraman.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

just start like this :

blablbablabla......"Copy jo report".....blabla etc.....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done ultra man ..cant wait for report:D

tried to do report again, but when finished,pressed submit, logged out came up and off to cyber space again:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

oh no.... very annoying. it does that sometimes if you're posting anything that takes more than 2 minutes to type:mad: Type it in word next time and just paste it in and submit. Or copy it before you hit submit, just in case.

There will be a next attempt won't there:(?

tuesday...did a nice sneaki snappy 8 km around leekslip....have commisioned a race report from mantra dave who was crewing for me...never thouught id have an official biographer........8k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tried to do report again, but when finished,pressed submit, logged out came up and off to cyber space again:mad::mad::mad:

A little tip, if that happens again...just press the back button on your browser, select all - copy, then log back in and paste. Works a treat. :D Look forward to reading your report. :pac:

thursday ..did the new route of the donadea 10k,itsa bit faster than lst year and its on d 10th of oct,check the website if anyone wants to do it....ps im not pimpin it.................................10 km

saturday....did about 4mile in the park.....passed the course measurer.....im still not pimpin it......4mile

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Mantra Dave

What can I say? First I get promoted to head of race logistics and now I make a lateral leap into official bographer. Okay, well here goes. Haven't read any other race reports so I dunno if there's too litle actual race detail here,but our weekend went like this:

Connemara 100 Race Report
    Crewing for the Ultraman team is no easy task.
    For a start there’s the fact that he is a man who doesn’t admit defeat. Fine, if you are crewing for Mick Rice, who won Connemara’s – actually Ireland’s first 100 mile race in a little over 17 hours. His crew had little to do. But things were different in the Ultraman camp. We were in for a gruelling time supporting someone who never says die till the very end!
    Having spent a relaxing evening at the Station House upon arrival on Friday evening being looked after by their warm and friendly staff, and feasting on a menu fit for kings, it was time to sleep. But sleep, as we were to find out, was to be a luxury for the three days on the road. At a God-forsaken 6am the Ultra-runners met in the lobby of the Station House Hotel for a breakfast croissant and coffee. The mood was one of anticipation. Shortly afterwards the lunatics left the asylum and assembled on the road in near darkness, adorned in hi-viz high fashion to begin the race.
    Take two serious runners and two serious drinkers (one with a running problem), put them together with a fifth man in one camper van and add copious amounts of fart-inducing sports drinks, chocolate bars, and alcohol, and then you may have something that may resemble the “team” that set off to Connemara last weekend.
    Then there’s the absolute relentless determination of Ultraman himself, who completed the circuit in 28 hours, 28 mins. Five of the fourteen runners dropped out leaving nine to complete a gruelling journey of both the mind and body. And speaking as a man who went along as support over the last few miles I can testify to the triumph of mind over body that is required for a race such as this.
    In the face of such adversity, the Ultra-team gelled magnificently. Like a married couple making breakfast together, the team effortlessly moved about the camper-van passing cider cans, cooked sausages and plasters amongst each other. Oh, and supporting our runner of course!
    One of the many good things there are to be said about Connemara is that it’s scenery never fails to impress, and impress it did. There was something quite serene about the sight of a lone runner or pair of runners cresting the hills in intermittent rain and sun. Facebook has it's fair share of photographic testimonies to the beauty of the west after this event.
    The mood remained positive until the small hours of the night, when in almost complete darkness save for the hi-viz tops and headlamps that set the humans apart from the swaying trees and sheep, the realisation of how much a test of endurance this really was started to dawn on the team, and it began to sink in just how much mental and physical determination these runners had.
    Ultraman was our Rocky and we cycled and walked and ran with him for the last 30 miles, dispensing gels, anti-inflammatories, water; each of us swapping the role of Mickey the trainer. With fatigue heavy on his heels Ultraman came in sight of the final few kilometres, as dawn’s weak light became morning, and a day had already passed since those eager participants gathered to begin this ultra marathon.
    With pain and fatigue increasing as the distance to the end decreased, the Ultra-van was parked up so that the whole team could accompany Ultraman around the last three 1-mile laps to the end, where other racers had gathered to cheer him on as he crossed the line and collected his medal.
    The runners gathered at midday for the prize giving. Black hoodies adorned with the event logo mingled with curious locals who couldn’t seem to come to terms that no, it wasn’t a ten mile run and no, it wasn’t a hundred mile cycle and yes, it was a hundred mile run!
    After the prize giving we had a couple of hours sleep and then hunger and thirst drove the team back to the big juicy steaks in the Station House Bar and onwards to the local town’s hostelries where we met Ray; the organiser, and his better half, who accompanied us on a small but very enjoyable pub crawl.
    All in all it was a great weekend and one that will go down in running history in Ireland. Ultraman says he won’t do it again, but whether that’s true or not remains to be seen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant report!

thanks 4 dat dave,we mite not get any queires from any potential vacancies in any ultra crews but mettalicca are definitly intersetd in us as roadies:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Mantra Dave

thanks 4 dat dave,we mite not get any queires from any potential vacancies in any ultra crews but mettalicca are definitly intersetd in us as roadies:D:D:D

Metallica? They are pussies compared to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done mantra dave on a great report

and well done to ultraman on his great delegation skillls on getting someone to write it for him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

class race report. Its even done in the style of the one and only ultraman.

• Advertisement

fri 4th...ran from campions pub to the public jaxe in malahide and back....bout 11k ..i hope

Advertisement