Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regeneration...

Options
  • 23-12-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Quick question about this regeneration....
    I for one am petrified of the thought of some ... families... being moved into one of the many houses for sale in my area. I saw on the Post the other night that some of the derelict houses in Moyross have been demolished and it got me thinking. If a family does move to my area, and their Moyross house is built back up, will they get moved back in or will they forever be around my town???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Supermouse, sorry to be annoying but can you edit the thread title to say "Regeneration".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The council are planning on buying properties in ALL areas to facilitate tenants who need to be housed whilst the area is being rebuilt. They could spend 3-5 years in your area and they will be very reluctant to leave and move back.

Would you go back if you were moved from a "deprived" area to an "affluent" area?* * These are terms that the regeneration project use themselves.

The entire population of St Marys Park are due to be moved soon. Yet remember, a lot of them were moved already to Corbally during the construction of the Dublin road corridor through the area. Quite a number of them ended up on the Mill road.

Similarly, all new development since 2006 were obliged to hold 20% of their developments for socially affordable housing.

Do a forum search on boards.ie for a thread about Grange in which those who have paid an average of €480,000 for their properties are to find council tenants living next door. Life's great. :D

BTW I have many empty houses around me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Thats what I was fearing......
    Is there any way you can oppose these families coming to your area?
    you can be sure they aint living next to the TD's anyway!!!

To be fair to the families supermouse,

You dont know the families until you see them. Not one family will be the same as the next.

You cannot object a family moving in unless you have a reason why they should not be on a housing list.

Above income threshold.
    Keeping horses in a council house.
    Criminal activity.
    Single mothers who are actually living with a partner.
    Circumventing the social welfare scheme to attain a higher allowance.

Loads of other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Oh Berty i 100% agree, i agree that the majority of people living in these estates are lovely people but you must agree there are some that arent.. unfortunatly.
    If we'll say it is a nasty family that causes hassle in the neighbour hood etc is there anything we can do, probably not i suppose!
    all we gotta do is hope we are the lucky ones... eh!!
    thanks for reply :)

• Advertisement

supermouse wrote: »
    If we'll say it is a nasty family that causes hassle in the neighbour hood etc is there anything we can do, probably not i suppose!

Do what you would do if your neighbour was causing hassle now, Call the Gardai and if its not a criminal issue you may need to contact your county or city council to report whatever they may be doing.

The only lucky people in this scenario will be the family who is moved to a nice area with nice people with better education, less paranoia about who is near their house/car, less fear or crime and gangs. They will also notice that people will treat them differently when they say they are _xxxxx__ instead of "that area".

Will they move back when the area is finished? I doubt it, I wouldnt move back if I had the possibility of a €250,000 house for only €20 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A good few people have moved from some estates in Raheen because of families that brought problems to where they were living haveing lived there for a great part of their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I think that you have to be fair and balanced - there will be decent folk rehoused and given a fair break too......

- Not enjoying the coincidence of the new phenomenon of arséholes dumping large black bags of household refuse in the green areas of my estate though.

Although its probably worse that an innocent man got shot because drug dealing scumbags are living in houses handed to them as part of the affordable housing scheme, a venture that I am enjoying helping to pay for with each and every pay-cheque......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Sure i thought with every new housing estate been built the council buys 5 or 6 houses for it.I dont think its generally down to Moyross having lived in caherdavin for years its gone as bad as moyross in places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Berty wrote: »
    The council are planning on buying properties in ALL areas to facilitate tenants who need to be housed whilst the area is being rebuilt. They could spend 3-5 years in your area and they will be very reluctant to leave and move back.

Would you go back if you were moved from a "deprived" area to an "affluent" area?* * These are terms that the regeneration project use themselves.

The entire population of St Marys Park are due to be moved soon. Yet remember, a lot of them were moved already to Corbally during the construction of the Dublin road corridor through the area. Quite a number of them ended up on the Mill road.

Similarly, all new development since 2006 were obliged to hold 20% of their developments for socially affordable housing.

Do a forum search on boards.ie for a thread about Grange in which those who have paid an average of €480,000 for their properties are to find council tenants living next door. Life's great. :D

BTW I have many empty houses around me also.

Hi Berty,
    There is no Dublin road corridor throught St Mary's Park area. The entire population of St Mary's Park are not due to be moved. There has been no decesion made on this yet, and the currrent climate I don't expect a decision anytime soon.
    ALready (over the last 2 years)the council have started moving people out who don't own their house in St Mary's Park.... if they go to the town hall and push for it. If you own you house they won't buy it form you unless you accept €50k for it.. Where will that get you??? SO these people are stuck in St Mary's park with the scum who don't want to move for various reasons!!
    The plan is to keep as many people there as possible while building goes on and as the building is completed move them in to the new house, then when the rest are finished bring back in the "good" folk. As you can't get back in unless you are cleared by gaurds!!! one of the resons some of the scum aren't pushing to be re-housed at the moment... and another reason why some of the scum won't be taken back in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

baza1976 wrote: »
    ..and another reason why some of the scum won't be taken back in...

So where will the scum go??

They'll stay out in the estates and towns around county where they have been given cushy houses and have already started to bring their trouble with them.

They have been terrorising people in the town. Although they wouldn't touch me cause I'm hard as nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    So where will the scum go??

They'll stay out in the estates and towns around county where they have been given cushy houses and have already started to bring their trouble with them.

They have been terrorising people in the town. Although they wouldn't touch me cause I'm hard as nails.

I guess your right, I can't see how to get around it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Northside Guy

supermouse wrote: »
    Quick question about this regeneration....
    I for one am petrified of the thought of some ... families... being moved into one of the many houses for sale in my area. I saw on the Post the other night that some of the derelict houses in Moyross have been demolished and it got me thinking. If a family does move to my area, and their Moyross house is built back up, will they get moved back in or will they forever be around my town???

Supermouse,
    I understand your concerns. However it is important to note:
    1. regeneration is NOT moving anybody out from the Regeneration areas. People will move into the new house and only then will the old house be demolished.
    2. Limerick City council are buying up some homes but in the main these are people who house is virtually worthless and who are in the main elderly decent people.

limerick Cirty council are in the main RESPONSIBLE for the state of many of our estates, they haven't given a **** for years, let places run down/wild. gardai have been missing untill recently. I would be nervous of anything that Limerick City council have ANYTHING to do with.

The main problem are:
    1. That criminals are buying/renting private homes throughout the city/county. As none of these people have a visible income that is a matter for the CAB and gardai. They should act against these criminals (and take their 4x4s and SUVs as well!). Unfortunately most peole assume they have been "regenerated" from the regen areas.
    2. THE HSE rehouse criminals - they have no legal obligation to do so and should stop doing so immediately. Again many people assume they have been "regenerated". These people in many cases are they main problem.
    3. A number of landlords dont care who they rent to.and take no action against criminal/anti social elements who may be renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

Supermouse,

The main problem are:
    1. That criminals are buying/renting private homes throughout the city/county. As none of these people have a visible income that is a matter for the CAB and gardai. They should act against these criminals (and take their 4x4s and SUVs as well!). Unfortunately most peole assume they have been "regenerated" from the regen areas.
    2. THE HSE rehouse criminals - they have no legal obligation to do so and should stop doing so immediately. Again many people assume they have been "regenerated". These people in many cases are they main problem.
    3. A number of landlords dont care who they rent to.and take no action against criminal/anti social elements who may be renting.

I agree. This is the main problem and whats scary is there is no end in sight. The criminals/anti-social residents who are renting private homes through the HSE have a choice. They decided they didnt want to stay in the "Regeneration" areas while houses were being boarded up and estates were left is terrible conditions. They decided to rent in "better" areas.

The home owners and good tenents have no choice but to wait it out until the council rehouse them.....2 to 5 years.

There are no immediate winners here. The council are to blame, it should'nt have come to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I have a single mother next door from reg project and she is fine and her 2 kids are very nice (although i'm sure she beats them up because she's always calling them handycaps and so on... She's rough but nice enough).
    If I had to pick her or the students, I would say her hands down. the students are the most annoying breed where I live. they through rubbish everywhere, smash bottle of buckfast everywhere, drive around peoples front gardens destroying at 4 in the morning, leave doors and windows open and make as much noise as pssible for no reason...among lots of other things.
    I had to pay the vet 80 euro the other week for injections and tablets for my dog because he cut his paw on a bottle of bucfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

my aunt lives in willow park near the church in raheen,about 3 months ago dundon-mccarthys moved into a house,now not sure is it hse/private rent they cant seemed to find out.any way there was shots fired at the house 2 nights before new years.and there is 3 or 4 houses for sale a long time there they are dreading whats next.raheen is starting to get very scummy:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yea its a big shame. Why can't them clowns get educated and work? its a joke. They just do whatever they want and nobody else matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

my aunt lives in willow park near the church in raheen,about 3 months ago dundon-mccarthys moved into a house,now not sure is it hse/private rent they cant seemed to find out.any way there was shots fired at the house 2 nights before new years.and there is 3 or 4 houses for sale a long time there they are dreading whats next.raheen is starting to get very scummy:(

I live out close to that and havent heard anything?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

well doubt it will be in the media but ask residents up that way,my aunt told me the residents commitee knew/gardai had told them about the bad crowd moving in

Advertisement