Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kilcoole!

Options
  • 23-12-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just moved to holywell in Kilcoole, can anybody suggest the best connection possible in this area? I am on the newtown exchange on a 281 number! Rang BT and they said the best was 1mb which I thought was terrible! Just wondering does anybody who lives here get better than that and if so with who! If not does anybody know when I can expect a good line? Thanks alot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Just moved to Kilcoole (Ballynerrin, it's in the area around the Glenroe open farm), I'm on a 201 number and I got mixed replies (from 1 Mb to 7.6 Mb) from different providers, but, obviously, none of them can give any guarantee. :rolleyes:

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Kilcoole is crap for Broadband as both sides are on the very edges of the Greystones & Newtown Exchanges so if you can get Broadband it will be 1mb i had 1.6 but it was unusable so went for a stable 1mb

You could try http://www.regionalbroadband.ie/ which is fixed Wireless upto 3mb for home users but requies line of sight and a antenna on your roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

I'm in Kilcoole on the greystones exchange (201 number) and have 2MB eircom broadband. Connection is very reliable and I get around 1.75MB which is all that can be expected from eircoms 2MB package.

I've tried to upgrade my package but even with the exchange upgrades they say I'm on the best package for my line.

Before I got ADSL I had Regional broadband's fixed wireless package. I was one of the first on the service and the reliability wasn't great. There was quite a lot of dropped connections and packet loss. Was fine for browsing but anything that required keeping a connection up performed poorly.

They were constantly improving it so it may be better now, but it wasn't suitable for my needs and my line started passing the line checker test.

So that's my broadband in Kilcoole story. What ever happened to the fibre optic that was being installed in kilcoole?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

leaba wrote: »
    What ever happened to the fibre optic that was being installed in kilcoole?

They have either lost it or Tristway dug it up by accident!

I finally got broadband, and so far is only 1 Mbit, which is indeed terrible. The "funny" part is that, when I moved in I got the answers I wrote about earlier (from 1 to 7.6 Mbit). BT was the most enthusiastic one stating that 7.6 Mbit would work perfectly.

I then asked to have the line moved to my name, and Eircom changed the number to a 287. I rang back expecting the same answers, and all I heard was "sorry, your line is unable to go faster than 1 Mbit". The phone line is EXACTLY THE SAME, but now BT said that it's a "non standard delivery" and they couldn't give me any guarantee of service (not even 1 Mbit :mad:, that now is working like a charm).

Based on my line parameters I should be able to reach at least 2.5 Mbit or even 3 Mbit without any problems, but no way, BT insists that I cannot (spent half an hour talking to technical support, they said that the upgraded line won't be reliable, not just slower) and therefore I can't place the order. :mad:

I wonder what kind of "sorcery" has happened to a phone line, since nobody touched it and just the number has changed. The Exchange is exactly the same, the distance also, I didn't move the house. :rolleyes:

I really don't know what to think about this... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 littlej

try Magnet Networks.... www.magnet.ie I believe they offer a great service and are very competitive with price. I personally don't have their service but have heard excellent reports.

Thanks littlej, I contacted Magnet as well, and they told me that on this line I could have up to 3.5 Mbit. Unfortunately, now that I am with BT, I cannot cancel the subscription or I'd have to pay several fees.
    The reason why I chose BT is that they told me I could get up to 7.6 in the first place, and, even if it sounded a lot, I expected to reach at least the 3.5 Mbit offered by Magnet. Anyway, now it's too late to change my mind and I'll try to figure out why the line "magically changed" into a non standard one which can hold 1 Mbit MAXIMUM. :rolleyes:

There estimate is how far you are from the exchange but this doesnt take into account the route the cable takes it could be all over the place before it reaches you're house hence only getting 1mb you will get 2mb max if you are in kilcoole thats it! eircom perlico imagine magnet etc all the same just resellers of a eircom package bt is doing LLU on the greystones exchange but i still think it will be 2mb max beacause of the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

isn't there a new exhange in Kilquade also - distance would be shorter from there.

There estimate is how far you are from the exchange but this doesnt take into account the route the cable takes it could be all over the place before it reaches you're house hence only getting 1mb you will get 2mb max if you are in kilcoole thats it! eircom perlico imagine magnet etc all the same just resellers of a eircom package bt is doing LLU on the greystones exchange but i still think it will be 2mb max beacause of the distance.

The thing is, after changing the number, Eircom told me I can have up to 3 Mbit on that line. Magnet told me the same, more or less (3.4 Mbit). BT, which initially told me 24 Mbit (exaggerated, I know), now tells me 1 Mbit and nothing more. Their technical support told me that he measured the capacity of the line using an Eircom application (:confused:) and told me the line can hold, at best, 1.5 Mbit, but it would be unreliable.

Now, something is incorrect: if Magnet resells Eircom, then they use "Eircom's tools". Eircom uses "Eircom's tools" as well, and they bot gave me the 3 Mbit answer. How comes that BT says something different, while still using these mysterious "Eircom tools"? :confused:

Of course I could insist to have the upgrade from BT at all costs, but, if they'd prove to be right, I'd have to pay a fee for a further downgrade, and it's not something I'd like.

I wonder if there would be a way to really calculate the line capacity instead of going on with guesswork... Is it possible to contact Eircom Technical Support by email? I couldn't find an address anywhere, and I'm tired of repeating the whole story from the beginning to all the support teams... Or maybe I should get myself the "Eircom tools" :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Adam_

yogicolly wrote: »
    Just moved to holywell in Kilcoole, can anybody suggest the best connection possible in this area? I am on the newtown exchange on a 281 number! Rang BT and they said the best was 1mb which I thought was terrible! Just wondering does anybody who lives here get better than that and if so with who! If not does anybody know when I can expect a good line? Thanks alot!

sorry for my english i am Polish :) i liv in kilcoole so i have digiweb DSL up tp 7.5 and my connection is 2.6mb "its all i can get from my line" i was happy with that, its not that bad BUT since 2 days my connection is 700KB :( and i am pretty sure the "support guys" will tell me its all i can get from my line, nobody change anything cables are still the same i will call them tommorow and let you know

daigo75 wrote: »
    I then asked to have the line moved to my name, and Eircom changed the number to a 287. I rang back expecting the same answers, and all I heard was "sorry, your line is unable to go faster than 1 Mbit". The phone line is EXACTLY THE SAME,

I would imagine they have changed the exchange you line is connected to. 201 numbers are usually connected to Newtownmountkennedy whereas 287 in Greystones. The lines to Greystones are very old and go the long way around to get there.

The industrial estate in Kilcoole receives broadband from Newtownmountkennedy - this has improved in the last 2 years. but AFAIK it only goes as far as Beachdale. The North of the village is not covered by that exchange for BB.

atlantean wrote: »
    I would imagine they have changed the exchange you line is connected to. 201 numbers are usually connected to Newtownmountkennedy whereas 287 in Greystones. The lines to Greystones are very old and go the long way around to get there.

The strange part is that I checked the line before, when it was a 201, and it was Greystones exchange as well, absolutely no difference! I wonder if there's a way to test it to see how it goes... The ideal would be something like a "few hours money back guarantee". :P

daigo75 wrote: »
    The strange part is that I checked the line before, when it was a 201, and it was Greystones exchange as well, absolutely no difference! I wonder if there's a way to test it to see how it goes... The ideal would be something like a "few hours money back guarantee". :P

Numbers arent tied to exchanges anymore you could get any number you want top of the village does have Broadband from Greystones exchange im using it now all my neighbours have it 1mb tops.

top of the village does have Broadband from Greystones exchange im using it now all my neighbours have it 1mb tops.

What ratio do you have? How stable is it?

Advertisement