Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggest a game for the guy that has seen it all!

Options
  • 23-12-2008 1:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, I have been playing games for 20 years and at this stage, I'm beginning to see alot of ideas being rehashed over the last few years. I know there are many gamers in my situation...to those people, I ask the question...is there anything on the shelves that is truely refreshing (on Wii, 360 or PS3).

I want to get a game over Christmas :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Valkyria Chronicles maybe? It's a strategy RPG but it's like no other strategy RPG. Aiming and movement are carried out in realtime.It's hard to explain because there is nothing else quite like it but it shares some similarities with advance wars with it's rock, paper, scissors type unit strengths and weaknesses. Couple that with gorgeous visuals, excellent soundtrack and a surprisingly great storyline dealing with some very mature issues.

There's also No More Heroes on the Wii. It's flawed but it kind of knows it is and even makes fun of itself but makes up for it by being an absolute blast to play. Wonderful OTT writing as well and Travis Touchdown is one of the best characters in a videogame, one part infinitely cool, one part clumsy guilible idiot.

You could also try Braid on live arcade. It's areal art house game but the puzzles and platforming are second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Valkyria Chronicles is €30 in Smyths also Dead Space is great and Fallout 3 if you have some free time. Sam and Max for the Wii is also great if you can find it in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Little big planet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Little big planet.

I have it, it freezes after 5 minutes (and I have returned it twice). PS3 support have scratched their head without success. :( Excellent game otherwise.

I found out I'm getting Fallout 3 :) Still, other suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Audiosurf !! :)

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I found out I'm getting Fallout 3 :) Still, other suggestions welcome!

I friend or 2 have pumped over 70 hours into fallout, one of them hasn't uncovered the left half of the map yet.

Unless you get bored (unlikely) you won't need anything else.

PROTIP: Stop the story missions when you get the Tesla Armor.

You will be near the end, and it's one of the best in the game, go exploring then and do the thousands of side quests.
    Also Max level is 20 so you can't get all the bonus abilitys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

go exploring then and do the thousands of side quests.
    Also Max level is 20 so you can't get all the bonus abilitys.
    I really didnt find many sidequests in the game. Maybe 20-30 i'd say. I mustn't have been paying much attention. Also, if your playing on the pc, theres already a mod to remove the level caps and attribute caps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

you should try getting really really good at multiplayer at one game u like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jazzy wrote: »
    you should try getting really really good at multiplayer at one game u like

Couldn't think of anything more boring. There's far too many games out there to just dedicate myself to one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lets Tap on the Wii, import it, it's wonderful!

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I really didnt find many sidequests in the game. Maybe 20-30 i'd say. I mustn't have been paying much attention. Also, if your playing on the pc, theres already a mod to remove the level caps and attribute caps.

Would that conflict with the new packs coming out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Couldn't think of anything more boring. There's far too many games out there to just dedicate myself to one.

well it depends. its more a mates based thing imo. if u find nice ppl and are all playing the game together and there is competition involved it can be great craic. some of my best gaming memories are from LANs where there was brilliant competitions being had. if you like the game enough and get really stuck into the technicalities of it then you realise there is far more depth then you ever thought possible. that sorta depth is something you'd never find in say Mass Effect or Final Fantasy, there the game can only take you so far but if there is a decent scene and lots of people playing then the possibilities are almost limitless. Quake 3 and Starcraft are 2 brilliant examples of the sort of things that can be achieved by pushing games to their limits and they are limits that you simply cant find in single player games, no matter how many of them there are

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'd agree with Jazzy. Single player games are great and you do get fantastic stories every now and then but there is nothing like the sense of achievement of beating really skilled opponents. I mean A.I is a million miles away from human beings. The satisfaction of outplaying or outhinking an opponent is unmatchable in a single player game.

My proudest achievement of video gaming was probably beating the online ranked 3rd American player in Company of Heroes a player named Mexico (he became ranked no 1 a day later) a month or two after COH's release. COH had then around a player base of 4 to 5 thousand players split between the 2 factions so it was a reasonable achievement. The game has a high standard but never has or will have a pro scene, so its not quite as high as games with dedicated humans but still it was the best I ever managed.

Anyway the story goes that it was on a map that slightly favours my preferred COH faction Axis (now Wehrmacht) which was and stil is the weaker of the 2 factions. We both used the in fashion doctrines and strategys for that time but I played above my normal abilities in that game and one with one stroke of good fortune, (a stray shot of mine detonated one of his own mines destroying a vehicle that was critical at that stage of the game). A few minutes later it dawned on me that I was about to win and I could literally feel my hearting pounding away and my hands shaking. But I held my nerve and went on to win. Nothing in any single player game gives you such a buzz.

But it requires a huge effort to get any where near the top in competitive games and you really need the right attitude. Its weird as well, you start seeing the games in a different light when you reallt start to understand the mechanics. Like seeing the code for the matrix instead of seeing the matrix itself :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Okami

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PS2 or Wii?
    Both good, but I prefer the PS2 edition of Okami.

No more Heroes is outstanding on the Wii also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    PS2 or Wii?
    Both good, but I prefer the PS2 edition of Okami.

No more Heroes is outstanding on the Wii also.

well he said wii, 360 or ps3, so the wii edition is implied :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Psychonauts: Not your average Third Person Platformer

Mirrors Edge: I dunno, I liked it and found it quite refreshing. I actually liked grappling a weapon off a guy and just throwing it away and moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Pokemon Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i am myself 15 years gamer. So to get something that would make me jumping like crazy is hard. Thought i have played a few really good games, i coulsd share the knowladge.

I wount suggest any old stuff, becouse you should have been playing it as veteran gamer, heres a few titles in recent years thar really got me emo :D

1. Bioshock ( really really nice game will hook you up for sure)
    2. Mass effect ( havent seen good quality game like this for ages, yo will force yourself to play longer, just to find out whats next)
    3. Dead space ( Horror survivor in its best skin, thats whats used to be real Resident evel, before re4 came out)
    4. Left4dead ( zombies, more zombies, and yeah, a few more just for matter of having them, add a few more to be on safe side. just pure fun m8)

thats from personal experience. Now i heard alot of good about . Little big planet and fallout 3. Thought i am a huge fan of fallout2, so i am abit afraid of trying out fallout3 :). i dont whana get dissapointed :D. but i will get it anyway sooner or later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

If you haven't played it, Portal (it's short but there's lots of levels if you have a PC)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Left 4 Dead

Advertisement