Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian Crossings In Enniscorthy

Options
  • 23-12-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I've just recently moved to E'scorthy and I cannot believe the number of pedestrian crossing around the town.

Maybe this is just a pet hate for me but I hate non-signalled pedestrian crossings. You must give way to pedestrians at all times etc...

I really wish they had traffic light signalled crossings instead. I find that non-signalled crossing are so dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers.

Particularly, as you drive along and someone is walking up the footpath, you don't know if they are planning on crossing the road or not. Or people who stand and chat at the crossing. You look at them and they make no signs of crossing so drive on as normal then at the last minute they decide to walk out in front of you.

Then you have those people who just stroll out on the pedestrian crossing head down, never bother to look up or down and think that a car 2 foot from the crossing can or should just automatically come to a complete stop in a split second.

Its one of the things I would greatly like to see changed in Enniscorthy. And else where too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I think the same but traffic lights would be more expensive and more work, plus they slow down traffic alot as they stay on red alot longer.....

Not sure in 'scorthy, but in wexford there are a few of these that are dodgy enough! For example, bottom of 1798 street, 2 lanes, 1 way system, if there is a big vehicale on the inside, it is so so easy to miss a pedestrian waiting to cross or crossing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

To the OP, it almost seems like your issue is with the users of the pedestrian crossings, rather than the crossings themselves - getting rid of pedestrian crossings won't stop people doing foolish things!

I honestly don't see any issue with any of the pedestrian crossings in town. When I saw the thread's title, I assumed it'd be about the new crossings near the roundabout at the Post Office, which seem to be the ones causing the most fuss at the moment. To be perfectly honest, I think it's about time those crossings were introduced, as it is actually rather difficult for a pedestrian to get across to the Credit Union side at times, particularly in times of heavier traffic. I don't think that said crossings pose any problems to drivers at all, as they can be seen well in advance, and if you take your time going around the roundabout, you shouldn't have to worry about accidentally hitting someone.

In general, crossings only seem like a problem when you're not paying attention to the road. It's not as though pedestrians are an inconvenience while driving - they should be one of your main concerns. At all times, you should be noting pedestrians on footpaths - not just at crossings - as any one of them is liable to attempt to cross the road without looking, or trip and fall out onto the road. If you're used to keeping an eye on pedestrians, you won't have any problems keeping an eye on them at crossings as well. If you're not sure if someone is going to cross the road, assume they will and adjust your speed to allow yourself to enough time to stop should they choose to.

At some of the more pedestrian-heavy places in town, I'd much rather have three or four pedestrian crossings to navigate, than have a lot of pedestrians trying to rush across and then crossing when it's not safe. At least this way, no-one gets hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with the OP.
    Enniscorthy has a strange history of putting numerous Pedestrian crossings in town, unannounced. They seem to appear overnight!

Market Square - very high poles at crossing, so flashing lights are too high for drivers to see ( unless you are in a helicopter!) 3 crossings in a small square is a bit of an over-kill IMO.

Pedestrian crossings on round-abouts!!! - crazy idea and extremely dangerous. Watching traffic on your right, when someone steps out from the left - your Blind Spot!

Summer hill and Post Office. I do hope nobody is fatally injured at the one at the Post Office! Something will have to be done it make it safe.

Duffry - Drive up Weafer Street, thru cross roads, blindly into a pedestrian crossings! There was never a path or opening in the park wall there. It would be much more useful and safer at the Chemist. I watch out for pedestrians because I know the crossing is there but a stranger will get a shock - turn blind to your right onto a pedestrian crossing.

We all drive safely, keeping an eye out for pedestrians. Thats not the point. The truth is certain pedestrian crossings in Enniscorthy are dangerous, especially for pedestrians!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 monkey99

Yup i totally agree, I'm all for pedestrian crossings and one was definately needed in the post office/credit union area but like wtf lads???? The placing of them in town are so dangerous! And the one at the top of weafer street- its just like they want people fatally injured or something, especially when there's nearly always traffic queued back there so they can just step out from the right and you wouldn't know!

I had a friend down working in town for a week and she couldn't get over the town with all its hills and crossings she was stressed out driving in it!!:p:P

Advertisement