Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Performance Car suggestions

Options
  • 23-12-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi I am looking to buy a performance car however it has to be insurance friendly which limits me.It cant be an import if japansese has to be available in an irish version not really intrested in anything french really has to be under 2.0 litre can be turbo or supercharged and looking at aound 5000 euros any off the wall suggestions will be appreciated i have an intrest in cars so the more rare the better.I know its a bit of a challenge as i have been researching and within these limits all i am geting is underpowerd large saloons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Would a 01 Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT interest to you?

Rare over here in fact I've had more than one SEAT garage not believe me that it exists. Think there was only a handful sold in Ireland.

Insurance wise its been fine for me and would not get a "not gonna touch that with a 10 foot barge pole" reaction from any insurers. If you could insure a 1.8T Golf GTI or the like then this will be the same if not a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

180sx
    200sx
    civic vti
    306 gti-6 , its french but a hell of a car that can be picked up for peanuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

dont mean to pimp my for sale ad or anything, mods feel free to remove my post, but what about a corolla fx gt twincam 20 valve?

155bhp as standard, individual throttle bodies (one per cylinder), comfortable interior, handy enough to ensure, 30+mpg, big car inside, will do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds, sounds great over 4k revs, electric windows, electric mirrors, electric sun roof, air conditioning and most of all a very rare car.

i have one for sale on adverts if these interest you..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

If you're interested in cars, maybe going for something thats either completely sleeper or something that is a little special with no run of the mill version available

The Cupra or corrola are nice suggestions for that sleeper feel, ITB's may be a little too load for the sleeper stance though. How about unmodded examples of the traditional suggestions 200sx, silvias, 180sx, etc?

If you want something crazy cool (it has been shipped of to belgium I think) but I almost bought an autozam Mazda Speed AZ-1 1015! :eek: and almost bought a Ferrari Dino kitcar based on a beetle chassis with alfa 1.8!

There a few "beams" mr2's in Ireland and from what has been said to me I probably own the only 1999 oyster example in the country and with 41k miles to boot!

Oh: Actually considering the money to spend, does that include or exclude insurance?

Will dig up some ideas and get back to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Forget about the extra 1000e on the insurance and think about the car! Insurance companies have all the bases covered as it is, no point getting a 1.5 bangered up Civic trying to dodge them.Get whatever takes your fancy!

If you want speed for buck in a modern car, then go Corolla T-Sport.You pick up a 05 one with low enough milage in UK for 7500e inc vrt, some motor for that.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Any/3_Dr_Hatch/details-404597-Toyota-Any-3_Dr_Hatch.asp

• Advertisement

looking at aound 5000 euros
    Tony Broke wrote: »
    You pick up a 05 one with low enough milage in UK for 7500e inc vrt

you'd not get one for around 5k though, 7.5k would be rock bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

draffodx wrote: »
    you'd not get one for around 5k though, 7.5k would be rock bottom

Did you see the link above?

I was suprised too, but you can find loads of them on autotrader etc which look in good condition for sub €5000.Vrt on them is around 3000-3500 I think.

Its a bit out of OP's budget though

You'd pick up a 02-04 Astra 1.8 3 Dr for nothing in the UK.Easily get one a decent for under €5000 inc vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

ever tink of a toyota levin?? something different to a honda

TGi666 wrote: »
    ever tink of a toyota levin?? something different to a honda

a levin is an import though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i dont understand why you dont want an import ? Ive had 8 importants and the only problem is i crashed one .... oh and the yaw on my evo creeked liek and old ladys hip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i dont understand why you dont want an import ? Ive had 8 importants and the only problem is i crashed one .... oh and the yaw on my evo creeked liek and old ladys hip...

that wold be a question from mine side. Did you owned any imported subarus? And whats the story with parts for them? can you get them here from main dealers? or you have to order from special spots? And are they more dare then non imported car parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Barry walsh

i have had imports mivec lancer, 180sx, civic all in the past 4 years usually change every year when renewal comes up had one off the road to sell it and insured the runaround a polo in september with a different insurance company big mistake now when i try to get quotes fot imports or the conditions above i cant get a reasonable quotes.hence the restricitions.

i have had imports mivec lancer, 180sx, civic all in the past 4 years usually change every year when renewal comes up had one off the road to sell it and insured the runaround a polo in september with a different insurance company big mistake now when i try to get quotes fot imports or the conditions above i cant get a reasonable quotes.hence the restricitions.

with imports they tend to make you jump a through a few additional hoops, keep harassing them and they will eventually give you a decent quote

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Anyone thought about TDI's...??

They're getting better all the time!! SHED LOADS OF TORQUE!!

Audi A3 TDI
    VW Golf TDI
    Seat Leon TDI

All got the same superb engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

celica t-sport??

has the speed to match the looks. has not been blacklisted by insurance companies like the 'teg so you'd be able to get a nice quote on one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

would really need to know your insurence history, how many years NCB's? age etc

i dont see the problem with insuring an import if you have a few years ncb

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Seanieke wrote: »

Audi A3 TDI
    VW Golf TDI
    Seat Leon TDI

All got the same superb engine!

You're right in a way!
    Skoda%20Superb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

gline wrote: »
    would really need to know your insurence history, how many years NCB's? age etc

i dont see the problem with insuring an import if you have a few years ncb

im 20 and have been driving since i was 17 with 1 years named driving and 2 years own name. with no accidents and full no claims bonus bestquote.ie came back with a quote of €2063 which i think isnt bad considering its a 190bhp car

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

106 Gti/Rallye
    Saxo VTS
    306 Gti-6
    Xsara VTS

Just some of the french things your missing out on :D

Seriously though would you consider a clio 172? You'd have one for around €5k now and they are a very very competent car.

Maybe a E36 328i sport, EDIT: forgot about the 2.0litre bit, maybe a 318is
    UK Integra Type R.
    Golf Gti/Leon/ibiza cupra, all similar enough engine wise (ish)
    Almera Gti or a primera GT, very very cheap and quite good.
    Bravo HGT, 2.0 20v engine from fiat coupe :D
    200sx?
    Fiat coupe 20v turbo/16v turbo, 220/195bhp but insurance might be a bit iffy.
    MX-5, if you don't think they're girly they're a fantastic car.

Just to be annoying can you be more specific about what you want?
    Straight line speed or handling?
    Hatchback/saloon/coupe?
    Does it have to be practical?

Or are you just open to anything, the list is endless like :D I could go on for hours :)

Advertisement