Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche only open 2 days this week but still charging for full week

Options
  • 23-12-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our local creche was only for 2 days this week (with closing at 3pm today) but they still charge for a full week.
    Is this standard, fair?
    I think it's very greedy.

Cheers,
    pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

This seems to be a common complaint but every industry in the world does it. If your providing a service you calculate your costs based on cost per hour for an employee + benefits + overhead allocation + margin. This also includes the cost of paying an employee for time off. That number is then used to create a price sheet.

Creches which are essentially a subscription based service with a contract rate, even out the costs on a per week, per month etc basis. If they didn't and they charged a per use cost then the per use cost would be higher and at the end of the day you would still pay the same, more for the time you use and nothing for the time you don't.

I'm not saying some businesses don't price gouge, but the business model they use is not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Yep, and ill gonna be charged for the next 2 weeks that my one will not be in even though she wont be there,,,

bigger one isnt in school and the little one will refuse to go in,,,,, few hundred down the plug hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ouch ! sounds like a bit of cornering going on there !
    also sounds like a nice business opportunity :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Well the staff still have to get paid and you are paying to keep your place open.

its like rent you still have to pay it even though you are going on holidays for 2 weeks !!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

There are two other options:

1. Creche factors in these weeks into normal weekly bill,

2. Creche operates on a first-come , first-served basis each week:"OK folks, first 6 babies and 12 toddlers each day get in". Can only lead to chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jujubee

My opinion is that I get paid when I'm on holidays, so therefore so does my childcare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

My creche is not charging this year, but have a sign up saying it's the last year that they can do this and we'll be paying for the closed days next year.

Advertisement