Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche only open 2 days this week but still charging for full week

Options
  • 23-12-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our local creche was only for 2 days this week (with closing at 3pm today) but they still charge for a full week.
    Is this standard, fair?
    I think it's very greedy.

Cheers,
    pa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Standard practice in most creches as they state that they have to pay their staff each week regardless of whether your kids are there or not.

About 6 years ago, also at christmas, my mother in law died and as a result I took some time off work to look after our daughter as my wife was naturally upset and was spending quite some time with her own family. Anyways, when I returned my child to the creche after her being away from it for 3 weeks, they enquired if she had been ill. I told them that my mother in law had died and so I was off work minding her and my wife. They said they were sorry to hear that but in the next breath reminded me that we owed 3 week's payment for the time that our daughter had been out of the creche.

To them its a business and from time to time they will gently remind you that they usually have a waiting list of people who would be only to glad to have their child take your child's place in the creche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Yep, that is normal practice and has been since I had my eldest in a creche, 6 years ago now. Its no different to the way they charge you a full week if there is a Bank Holiday, you still pay them and they still pay their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Are there now 3 working days this week ?

If they fancy Wednesday off I can't see why you should pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Plus 10

Slightly off topic - whats your creche prices going up to next year - ours up to €1,085 (> 1 year) - very difficult to change!

Advertisement