Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Football v Grosvenor Lane: The Rematch of the Rematch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

if you try and out-football us, you'll lose! :p
    if you hoof it long, we'll win the ball, you'll lose! :p

them be fightin' words!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Great plan steve, ignore totally what happened in the last game

I wasnt there. Also, the team we have this time is a better footballing team imo.

The fact that they are sloppy at the back is not a reason to hoof the ball up to an isolated ricky and hope our midfiled catch up in time before he is tackled/dispossesed.

Best way to expose sloppiness is to put it under constant pressure, not have one man up there on his own with balls coming to him in the air all the time. Thats the easiest thing in the world to defend against.

ditpoker wrote: »
    if you try and out-football us, you'll lose! :p
    if you hoof it long, we'll win the ball, you'll lose! :p

them be fightin' words!

I think we have a very good chance of beating you guys this time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

A lot will also depend on what formation they are going for this time? will it be the retarded 4-6-0 one again Jeff?

the majority of their goals came from distance last time and our chances were from quick breaks were people had gotten in behind their defense. We didnt really have the midfield to capitalise on this as donal depsite being an excellent footballer has natural defensive tendancies and when playing with luke it was very difficult for us to get ball up front quickly, when sammy went back to left back we also lost a bit of attackng flair which resulted in us lumping long balls up to the front men which didnt work. if we can counter attack properly then we will have a chance agaisnt them as they pushed up givnig us lots of space in behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Im not talking about our defenders hoofing the ball up to Ricky who is being marked tightly. In the last game there were often times when there wasn't a single defender within 20 yards of me when we had the ball in our half. As the ball gets closer they mark tighter. The only real chance I got (and should of scored) was when Roundtower played a ball up to me quickly. I turned and ran, there was no one between me and the goal. Similarly for the penalty, someone played the ball up to me early and I only had to beat one person. Again, its not about a defender hoofing a ball hopefully, but a midfielder or defender playing an early good ball to the strikers.

Its really hard for us to play against a well organised team that plays every week. We need to learn the lessons from the last game. Ignoring our biggest flaws and strength from it would be pretty stupid.

• Advertisement

sloppy at the back!?!?!

we should have our regular centre back available for this and one of our midfielders too. my guess is we'll do 460 for half and 442 for half.

sloppy at the back!?!?!

we should have our regular centre back available for this and one of our midfielders too. my guess is we'll do 460 for half and 442 for half.

Only at times!

Are you doing the 460 as a favour to us, or as a tactic?

Im not talking about our defenders hoofing the ball up to Ricky who is being marked tightly. In the last game there were often times when there wasn't a single defender within 20 yards of me when we had the ball in our half. As the ball gets closer they mark tighter. The only real chance I got (and should of scored) was when Roundtower played a ball up to me quickly. I turned and ran, there was no one between me and the goal. Similarly for the penalty, someone played the ball up to me early and I only had to beat one person. Again, its not about a defender hoofing a ball hopefully, but a midfielder or defender playing an early good ball to the strikers.

Its really hard for us to play against a well organised team that plays every week. We need to learn the lessons from the last game. Ignoring our biggest flaws and strength from it would be pretty stupid.

There not our flaws. 6 of the players starting here didnt play the last day. Thats the WHOLE back 4. Defensive mid and an attacking midfielder.

Its essentially a whole new team. So Im not ignoring any flaws or strength because as far as Im concerned we dont have the same ones as a different team. What I am doing is focusing on their, or at least trying to.

We have Sam and Al in midfield, Sam who we know can play, and is very good on the ball and Al who Ive only heard good things about. Keith while not technically the best player, is a very clever player and a hard worker. Im also new too. Champs has played sports before and I imagine he is quite decent. Thats 5 out of the spinal 5 that are different than the last day, how can you possibly tell me we have the same flaws as the last team?

So instead of focusing on weaknesses/strengths we may not have, how about we focus on weaknesses strengths we know they have, as its quite unlikely Al will change their starting team given it was probably somewhere near full strength.

Only at times!

Are you doing the 460 as a favour to us, or as a tactic?

by all accounts its the mentality that most UEFA coaches are being pushed toward. The logic behind it is, if you are playing 460 against 442, as like in the first 3rd last week, it effectively takes your back 4 out of the game as they are marking no one, and have to try and play through 6 players. the 6 have a numerical advantage and should dominate a midfield. Obviously the 6 midfield players ideally would be 6 highly technical players (which we aren't). And need to be fit enough to move forward as a unit.

The model it is based on (again this is uefa coaching stuff) the AC Milan team that went unbeated in Seria A for the best part of 2 years. Against a conventional 442, they had 6 of the most gifted technical players who attacked and defended as a unit. The 6 more times than not outplayed the 4 in the middle of the park, and if they got the ball forward it'd be 2 against the likes of maldini baresi etc. In todays football, if you take the current barcelona team, they have their back 4 of VERY solid players, then they have 6 that include a defensive minded player (yaya toure) and an attacking minded player (eto'o) both who play as part of a midfield interchangeably with others. then add iniesta, xavi, messi, gudjohnson henry etc etc, so you have 6, no one is the designated left mid, no one is the designated right mid, you'll see messi popping up both sides, henry and etoo changing, gudjohnson xavi and iniesta moving around, swapping positions. They are a NIGHTMARE to play against. They dont play 442, they play with more of a back line and a middle line.

Also, look at united. They dont play a STRICT 442, rooney drops deep, ronaldo moves from wing to wing, etc. Its becoming more common basically and is regarded as the way things are going. i.e. 1960's teams played 253, which moves to 80's and 90's team playing 442, in 00's teams started doing the whole wing backs and 451 thing, and its expected by 2015-2020 that the majority of successful teams will be play 4-6-0

... thats the theory behind it. we're experimenting with it, makes more sense to experiment in a half in a friendly than in a league match. we play 442 as normal, if we end up being 3-0 or 3-0 in a league game we may as well experiment, and in friendlies it makes sense to try new things...

Well its interesting, but I my personal opinion is that it has no chance of success. There isn't much point in trying to emulate what Barca and Ac do, for that to work your players need to be a similar standard relative to the rest of the league. One of the reasons all the teams you mention can play such strange and free-form tactics is that the teams are comprised of some of the best players in the world who can supersede conventional tactics - and are experts at creating space. Id be happy to be proved wrong though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Yeah putting me at left back is very stupid. Not a chance I'm playing there. I'll play left mid at a stretch but would rather not. My favoured positions are up front/attacking mid but I'm happy to play right mid if needs be or centre mid. This may sound selfish but I want to enjoy the game and I don't enjoy football when I play crap.

Yeah putting me at left back is very stupid. Not a chance I'm playing there. I'll play left mid at a stretch but would rather not. My favoured positions are up front/attacking mid but I'm happy to play right mid if needs be or centre mid. This may sound selfish but I want to enjoy the game and I don't enjoy football when I play crap.

Literally Zero people skills.

Yake one for the team you stroppy príck.

lol its meant to be a friendly game I want to win but I also want to enjoy myself ffs

Well its interesting, but I my personal opinion is that it has no chance of success. There isn't much point in trying to emulate what Barca and Ac do, for that to work your players need to be a similar standard relative to the rest of the league. One of the reasons all the teams you mention can play such strange and free-form tactics is that the teams are comprised of some of the best players in the world who can supersede conventional tactics - and are experts at creating space. Id be happy to be proved wrong though!

its for these reasons that i myself am sceptical about it. but am open to experimentation.

lol its meant to be a friendly game I want to win but I also want to enjoy myself ffs

I was sticking you where you could do the least damage to be honest:p

Like I said lads, I don't know your positions that well so it's a provisional formation to help us straighten things out before the day.

Just in from the pub so I am off to bed now but if anyone one else wants to tell me my selection policy is stupid I'll check in sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,324 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kobraki

pitch confirmed.

st raphaela's again, saturday at 4pm. someone is on the pitch in the morning so couldnt get it earlier.

Saturday 28th, 4pm kick off.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING BEFORE YOU GO THERE!!!
    Dont ring on the day looking for directions (if you can avoid it)
    I will post the map again if necessary.

Is this game Saturday 27th or Sunday 28th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think playing a defensive central midfielder is a v good idea as they ran through us a good bit. One thing i noticed is their full backs play deep so we should look to get ball out to the wingers who in turn will try run/pass the ball to the forwards at the earliest opportunity.

I thought we played deep in central in the 2nd half at the match and at some stages in the match found both Darragh and Ricky getting sucked into a deeper role which lost some good attacking opportunities.

BTW I can lob the ball into the box fairly handy from throw in so we should try get a few more numbers in the box when we are deep enough in their half.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Mmm...

- much as getting rid of the ball quickly and playing it long and simple is 'unenjoyable'; ****ing around with it at the back and getting spanked by five silly goals is also fairly 'unenjoyable';

- their best player wasn't playing last game (Ste C), and our best player isn't playing this time (Donal). Talk of us beating them is extremely premature imo;

- let's play the game earlier rather than later. I think most of us (well I will at least) will have plans for that evening;

I am not sure if you are saying that the defensive midfield player is a good idea or not Lloyd. Care to share your thoughts?

I have no intention of just firing balls up at Ricky, I do intend to get the ball wide and push Al and Sam up as often as possible

Selection poicy is not stupid, you weren't to know I can't defend! I can barely play football lol! Well occasionally I can pull off the odd bit of skill or a nice shot/pass but thats about it(not being modest its the complete truth)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Jeff's message says Saturday the 28th...so....

I would imagine the date is right and the day wrong but as soon as I know I'll post it here. Since everyone has been going on about the 28th I'd imagine that's the date.

Selection poicy is not stupid, you weren't to know I can't defend! I can barely play football lol! Well occasionally I can pull off the odd bit of skill or a nice shot/pass but thats about it(not being modest its the complete truth)!

Well I might stick Roundtower in at FB to start so, switch Kev to left hand side and you might have to start from the bench and come on in one of your preferred spots. Just the midfield starting is pretty settled so it's in the backs I am still messing with positions really

Im really looking forward to this, cheers for organising it Kayroo and DIT

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

if theresalwaysone was happy to play in a defensive role, i'd prefer to play where he is in defensive midfield, but if not then no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Ye cheers lads and some thanks should go to theresa as it was he that took the bull by the horns originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

good luck with this guys!!!!

jeff thers no point talking of such tactics with certain limabilities - you'd tried that formation against us and it obviously dint work, but neways - a good coach doesnt make a good manager! (but honestly do hope it works for your team)

playin about with the ball in defense when there is such a + EV sitiuation up front is silly (to talk poker) get it up to them ASAP without having to hooof it and theres every chance of winning it

Also Roundtower full back - ftw. GL!!! (may be able to get a game in dundalks pitch, oriel park for early jan!)

yeah thanks Kayroo/DIT

Btw if I've been taken up wrong, I will be giving 100% every minute I'm on the pitch, I would just be doing the team a disservice at left back. I have no left foot really and I can't tackle and I'm not the strongest. I love football, especially when I feel I am contributing something to the team. Anyway I'm looking forward to it.

PS: Steve you fish

thechamp87 wrote: »
    if theresalwaysone was happy to play in a defensive role, i'd prefer to play where he is in defensive midfield, but if not then no big deal.

I have seen Theresa's range of passing and his positional awareness, I know he can play that role and it's gonna be vital. Plus, and this is a big factor, he plays regularly with Hectorjelly, Jbravado and The Chopper so there is some form of familiarity there.

Overall I'd prefer ya to stick in the backs but we'll be rotating you into the midfield when we need to give one of the lads a break and we can sub someone on into FB/CB to fill your spot.

• Advertisement

yeah thanks Kayroo/DIT

Btw if I've been taken up wrong, I will be giving 100% every minute I'm on the pitch, I would just be doing the team a disservice at left back. I have no left foot really and I can't tackle and I'm not the strongest. I love football, especially when I feel I am contributing something to the team. Anyway I'm looking forward to it.

PS: Steve you fish

No hassles Reggie. Given the amount of running I'm expecting from Fran you'll get plenty of chances to come on and run yourself into the ground too.

Advertisement