Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line insallation alternative to Eircom -engineer refuses to do wiring

Options
  • 23-12-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I recently tried to get a phoneline installed in my 1st floor city centre (D2) apartment.

The eircom engineer found an existing phone outlet in the bedroom but there was no signal on it. He traced the line out of the aparment and into the corridor of the main building. It then passes through a panel where it is supposes to reach downwards to the eircom box in the basement.

However, somewhere between the panel and the basement, the line stops for no apparent reason. The engineer said that he will only deal with wiring on the box in the basement.

Is this standard practice or was he just being a lazy git?

Any idea what I can do now? Are there any other Broadband providers of the more flexible persuasion? I phoned Smart but they say they won't do anything until eircom have a line set-up.

Very Frustrating.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any other ASDSL providers in Ireland require a Eircom line to be installed first, if you want Broadband else where your looking at Cable or Wireless options

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

spectre wrote: »
    I recently tried to get a phoneline installed in my 1st floor city centre (D2) apartment.

The eircom engineer found an existing phone outlet in the bedroom but there was no signal on it. He traced the line out of the aparment and into the corridor of the main building. It then passes through a panel where it is supposes to reach downwards to the eircom box in the basement.

However, somewhere between the panel and the basement, the line stops for no apparent reason. The engineer said that he will only deal with wiring on the box in the basement.

Is this standard practice or was he just being a lazy git?

Any idea what I can do now? Are there any other Broadband providers of the more flexible persuasion? I phoned Smart but they say they won't do anything until eircom have a line set-up.

Very Frustrating.

Did you report his refusal to Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't know if its up to eircom or not but its sounds like there is a break in the cable for whatever reason. A new cable needs to be installed but the boken end at the box must be ID'ed and it can be replaced. Not really that big of a job if you ask me, two lads could get it done in a hour or two max depending on how accessable the run is. After than an engineer can punch done the points in a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think this would be considered an internal wiring issue and not Eircom's problem. I'd get onto whoever manages the apartment building or else you will end up having to hire someone to get it done out of your own pocket. Theres no point talking to any other isp because its Eircom who installs the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

dub45 wrote: »
    Did you report his refusal to Eircom?

No, just spoke to a helpful guy from Magnet, he also recommends reporting refusal to eircom. I'll do that asap

He also says it's possible that all phone wiring is eircoms property and it is their responsibility to render it to a fully functional state. He wasn't quite sure though.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Any other ASDSL providers in Ireland require a Eircom line to be installed first, if you want Broadband else where your looking at Cable or Wireless options

NTL not available. No line of sight available for any wireless operators either.

I don't know if its up to eircom or not but its sounds like there is a break in the cable for whatever reason. A new cable needs to be installed but the boken end at the box must be ID'ed and it can be replaced. Not really that big of a job if you ask me, two lads could get it done in a hour or two max depending on how accessable the run is. After than an engineer can punch done the points in a few mins.

Yeah, I don't think it's a big job, I'm sure I'd manage it myself but I don't think my landlord would allow me to meddle with the wiring.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

spectre wrote: »
    NTL not available. No line of sight available for any wireless operators either.

Unlucky,
    Lodge a complaint with eircom and go through there complaints procedure in respect of the issue, once thats exhausted then take it to comreg and see how it goes.

Eircom's complaints procedure is on there website and I believe I've seen it on eircomsucks.com in the past

Advertisement