Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1TB external USB drive 87 euro

• 23-12-2008 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Buffalo 1TB DriveStation Turbo USB2 3.5" available on dabs.ie for 87 euro...

[Copy of a post I made on the Tech->Computers->Building & Upgrading forum; mods please remove if inappropriate/infringing]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That seems like a very good price. I recently got a 1tb Iomega eGo for €125 (€119 now).
    I did picked it up so did not pay for shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Ibood is doing Western Digital Elements 1TB External Harddrive for €82.99, dont know if thats any better. http://www.ibood.com/ie/en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

il have some of that, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

feck thats well cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

+ 12.66 delivery
    so 100 euro delivered. nice one.
    Ive had the segate 1TB external open on my screen for the past few days trying to convince myself to buy it ! :)

Thanks OP ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

€100.00 is my X-mass bonus - this is no brainer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

hmmm, thinkin of gettin a new drive. my 320gb is filling up fast. Which one of these would be better? the buffallo or WD elements on ibood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Just bought two of the Western Digitals.. that's my christmas present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

How are dabs with stuff like this in delivery ?
    Do they box it or use the original packing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I just ordered the 500GB Seagate HD for €56 on dabs.ie. They use UPS and they ship it from England. Ordered it on Sunday and according to UPS it's shipped from England today. Hopefully get it in the next few days. Great price, €70 including shipping...

• Advertisement

M450 wrote: »
    I just ordered the 500GB Seagate HD for €56 on dabs.ie. They use UPS and they ship it from England. Ordered it on Sunday and according to UPS it's shipped from England today. Hopefully get it in the next few days. Great price, €70 including shipping...

would u not have spent 30 or 40 quid more for twice the space... or is it one o fthose times your kicking yourself you didnt wait the extra day or two :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Was just thinking today I'd need to order a new HD, and along came your post - great price! Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Great bargain OP i will have to get meself one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

samhail wrote: »
    would u not have spent 30 or 40 quid more for twice the space... or is it one o fthose times your kicking yourself you didnt wait the extra day or two :)
    Personally i prefer a 500gb drive. Tb drives are just too thick and i wouldn't want to take the risk of 1 drive failing and taking all my data with it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

^^ same thickness if its the one drive. Old 1tb ones were just two 500gb drives in a big case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

What a great deal :)

It's €74.75 now! Seems to be a single 1TB drive, but I do not know what
    model the drive is, or how big the cache.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=58MM&CategorySelectedId=11157&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11157,50620000

or £66.75 (about €70.70) if you are in Northern Ireland or the UK.
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=58MM&CategorySelectedId=11157&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11157,50620000

Link to this drive on Buffalo's website:
    http://www.buffalotech.com/products/external-drives/drivestation/drivestation-combo-hd-ceiu2/

And some decent Amazon.co.uk reviews here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Drivestation-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B001ER6CIW

faoile@n wrote: »
    Personally i prefer a 500gb drive. Tb drives are just too thick and i wouldn't want to take the risk of 1 drive failing and taking all my data with it ;)

but 1 drive failing with half your data on it is OK ;)

Has anyone had any techinical issues with this kinda thing ?
    ive had a cheap 500gb from archos for quite a while now and it didnt mis behave once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

pauly3 wrote: »
    What a great deal :)

It's €74.75 now! Seems to be a single 1TB drive, but I do not know what
    model the drive is, or how big the cache.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=58MM&CategorySelectedId=11157&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11157,50620000

I tried this link, and sure enough it said 74.75 euro inc. vat.
    Great!
    Logged in, and now the price is back up to 86.28!
    Can't get the lower price again..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

popey21 wrote: »
    Ibood is doing Western Digital Elements 1TB External Harddrive for €82.99, dont know if thats any better. http://www.ibood.com/ie/en
    heard too many horror stories from ibood recently, they've completely gone to pot over the last while.

there was a rake of bad posts in the WD 1tb ibood from yesterday, they actually re-released it to hide the posts. i logged in about 2am and there ws a heap of them, then at 9am when i looked again there were no posts at all.

oddly enough they just re-released it and you can still see the bad posts in the forum, here: http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_list_comments.php?product=9209

mrmac wrote: »
    I tried this link, and sure enough it said 74.75 euro inc. vat.
    Great!
    Logged in, and now the price is back up to 86.28!
    Can't get the lower price again..... :(

heh nice one !
    I actually added it to my cart there for some reason.
    looked at my cart top right corner, with a big message saying my cart has changed.

i bet they read boards too and saw it was incorrectly priced :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is funny that the ibood shill posts are still there amongst the bad posts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

faoile@n wrote: »
    What do you mean? It a 1TB 3.5" hard drive inside. The same as a 500GB 3.5" hard drive. Dont understand what you mean about losing all your data from a 1TB and its ok to lose it all from a 500GB. Why? If you are using this drive as a backup you will still have the original.

Have an old terrastaion 1TB with 4 250GB drives in raid 1 mode. Holds abot 700GB. If one fails, plonk in a new one and it takes info from remaining 3.

Boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

The 500GB drive arrived today. Brilliant considering I ordered it on Sunday and it being christmas and all... Delivered bu UPS, the original box was put in a massive box about 3 or 4 times the size neccessary. But it wasn't full of bubble wrap or anything, just empty! It was kind of secured by a plastic sheet holding it down, but pretty much loose inside the big box. I don't see the point really.
    samhail wrote:
    would u not have spent 30 or 40 quid more for twice the space... or is it one o fthose times your kicking yourself you didnt wait the extra day or two

I don't have the need for a terabyte of storage if my laptop is 160GB and it's only filling up now... I'd say it'll be a while before I fill up the 500GB, and by then I'd probably get a cheap media player hard drive or something, one that you can connect directly to the TV and play all the avi movie files and all that.

M450 wrote: »
    The 500GB drive arrived today. Brilliant considering I ordered it on Sunday and it being christmas and all... Delivered bu UPS, the original box was put in a massive box about 3 or 4 times the size neccessary. But it wasn't full of bubble wrap or anything, just empty! It was kind of secured by a plastic sheet holding it down, but pretty much loose inside the big box. I don't see the point really.
    i got a netbook from dabs and the same thing happened.

came in a giant box bigger than a bank box with the netbook box sliding round freely inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bearded1

Ordered an Elements 1TB from pixmania t'other day, 103 with express delivery, aboot 96 with normal delivery. Went for the black model which looks lovely next to my silver elements 500GB. Alas it has disappeared from the site now, base price for 1TB was 85, the 500GB is now 89! So much for apres xmas sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

bearded1 wrote: »
    Ordered an Elements 1TB from pixmania t'other day, 103 with express delivery, aboot 96 with normal delivery. Went for the black model which looks lovely next to my silver elements 500GB.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Ardent wrote: »
    Link?

Read the bearded1 post AGAIN. Honestly......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

I'm looking for an External Hard Drive, ideally 750gb to 1TB with media player ability (to connect directly to my tv). HD capability would be great too..

mymemory.co.uk have what seems to be a good deal of a 1TB SoSpeaky for £145 incl. delivery (just not HD).
    Any recommendations out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How fast are these external drives in general ?
    Would they be fast enough to burn DVD's off at 8x or would there be buffer underun issues ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

why not pay an extra 14 euro and get the maxtor for 98?

its got a 5yr warranty and most drives will die in the first 5 years especially if u run them 24/7 like i do

Ranleth wrote: »
    I'm looking for an External Hard Drive, ideally 750gb to 1TB with media player ability (to connect directly to my tv). HD capability would be great too..

mymemory.co.uk have what seems to be a good deal of a 1TB SoSpeaky for £145 incl. delivery (just not HD).
    Any recommendations out there?

ebay is oyur best bet. searches for things like 'media tank' and such will get you a rake of hits for the sort of gadget you're looking for. most will come without a drive though, so make sure you know what you're buying first.
    madmik wrote: »
    why not pay an extra 14 euro and get the maxtor for 98?

its got a 5yr warranty and most drives will die in the first 5 years especially if u run them 24/7 like i do

because maxtor are sh1te?

I've had dozens of drives since I started building ym own PC's and the only 2 drives I ever had fail on me were maxtors.

thought it might just be me until i got a job somewhere with 1200 PC's. ll the PC's were more or less identical except for some motherboard revisions and that the drives in them were either WD's Maxtor or samsung depending on what btch they were from. in the 5 years I've been here out of all the failed disks we've had in those desktop PC's about 90% of them are maxtors.

personally I wouldn't take a maxtor drive if it was free. my data is worth more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 no.1

awesome thanks

I had always WD and I don't know what is HDD problem. Just my one Cent.

all drives can and will fail sooner or later like any other mecanical device

its just a matter of when

doesnt seagate own maxtor anyway ?

I have read more than once that maxtors are rebadged seagate drives

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/222059-14-dare-maxtor-seagate-owns-them

obviously if your data is valuable then you will need more than 1copy,dont put your faith in any drive regardless of brand

madmik wrote: »
    all drives can and will fail sooner or later like any other mechanical device
    yes, but like all mechanical devices, not all drives are created equally. when you've dealt with 100's of different drives and you have a stack of failed ones in a workshop it's pretty clear to see what's what when one in particular has high rate of failure.

maybe they're better now, but much like symantec with their norton antivirus they're suffering because they bring a bad reputation with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Mine got delivered yesterday. The back up software is only a trial version. There is back up software available on www.download.com for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes, but like all mechanical devices, not all drives are created equally. when you've dealt with 100's of different drives and you have a stack of failed ones in a workshop it's pretty clear to see what's what when one in particular has high rate of failure.

I have a mate who worked in a large multinational. They replaced ALL maxtor drives with western digital because they were having so much trouble with maxtors failing. He advised me to steer well clear of maxtor..

GG66 wrote: »
    I have a mate who worked in a large multinational. They replaced ALL maxtor drives with western digital because they were having so much trouble with maxtors failing. He advised me to steer well clear of maxtor..
    there you go then, more proof that they're crap. :)

also another vote for WD's they've generally performed very well in my experience.

maxtor drives will still have a longer effective life with the 5 year warranty

I have two copys of my data anyway so a drive failing is no problem,

hands down a maxtor is better value than another drive with a 1 or 2 year warranty

if you are only keeping 1 copy of everything you are risking all your data irrespective of brand

• Advertisement

so you'd prefer a car that's unreliable but with an AA membership than a car that's a lot less likely to break down in the first place?

no thanks.

Mine was shipped today, so I could get it on Monday. Eeehaaa! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

Got this today, thanks OP :)

I have found it home today. And only with Euro plug. Well, it was cheap at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

When i worked with Gateway it was always Quantum drives that broke down. Quantum then was bought by Maxtor and then Maxtors were always breaking down.
    Also since Gateway, any time i see a computer with a hard drive banging away and not working it tends to be a maxtor. Others can break down too, but to a lesser degree. I had to tell my boss in one job to stop buying maxtors to replace hard drives as we always had the machine back or had to send someone out a few months later.
    As a result, i would not buy a maxtor.
    A 5 year warranty is no good if you have to use it at any point during the 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Blanchguy

It's business 101 - if you have quality problems and or a bad reputation, the cheapest solution is often to offer an improved warranty. Hence always be wary of products offering a better warranty than their competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Mine arrived today. It was out of stock when I ordered but I was able to place order anyway. Came back into stock a few days later.

Comes with both UK and Euro plug - I don't know if poster above was talking about a different model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Bought two of the 1TB Western Digital Elements.. just plugged it in now, surprised to see that they're formatted at FAT32... 931GB capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Does it switch off when idling?

ThOnda wrote: »
    ...only with Euro plug...
    I have got an email today that they are sending me the imperial plug today.
    I like them again!
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement