Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent help needed.....

Options
  • 23-12-2008 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi, I'm due to drive home today for xmas and my car won't start..... The battery is new so it's not that.... Does anyone know if it's possible to get a mechanic to come to my house to have a look at it for me and if so can you recommend anyone....??? I'm in Clonskeagh...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Dublin14 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm due to drive home today for xmas and my car won't start..... The battery is new so it's not that.... Does anyone know if it's possible to get a mechanic to come to my house to have a look at it for me and if so can you recommend anyone....??? I'm in Clonskeagh...

Is the car trying to start, ie turning over?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

can you get someone to give you a push?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

did you try the phone book, maybe there is mobile mechanic listed there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Dublin14

techie wrote: »
    Is the car trying to start, ie turning over?

Yeah it sounds like it's turning over...... I've also tried pushing it and it sounds like it's trying to start but nothing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Op check the terminals at the battery, if the battery has been changed recently, maybe they are not tight. Note, you CANNOT get an electrical shock from the battery, it is not possible,* so feel free to check the terminals that attach onto the battery to make sure they are tight.

Will the dash lights work or any lights in the car??? Is the engine turning over when you try to start the car??? Also, give us the make model, year & fuel type...

*MODEDIT

While I know what darragh is trying to say here, in the interest of safety it should be pointed out that you can actually electrocute yourself on a car battery if you're doing it wrong. So unless you KNOW what to do and how (not to) do it, leave fiddling with the battery to someone who does

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Op check the terminals at the battery, if the battery has been changed recently, maybe they are not tight. Note, you CANNOT get an electrical shock from the battery, it is not possible, so feel free to check the terminals that attach onto the battery to make sure they are tight.

Will the dash lights work or any lights in the car??? Is the engine turning over when you try to start the car??? Also, give us the make model, year & fuel type...

Battery seems to be ok.. Lights, radio etc are all working... I rang a mechanic and he seems to think it could be the sensor (had this done along with the starter a couple of months ago) he thinks it could be a faulty sensor.....!! It wouldn't start Sunday at all but started yesterday.. It's a 02 Megane Coupé.. Mechanic seems to think i'll have difficulty getting parts this side of xmas...

Dublin14 wrote: »
    Battery seems to be ok.. Lights, radio etc are all working... I rang a mechanic and he seems to think it could be the sensor (had this done along with the starter a couple of months ago) he thinks it could be a faulty sensor.....!! It wouldn't start Sunday at all but started yesterday.. It's a 02 Megane Coupé.. Mechanic seems to think i'll have difficulty getting parts this side of xmas...

If you know where the crankshaft speed sensor is, it's just at the top of the gearbox bell housing and is held in with two small 10MM bolts. This is a common enough isssue on this car, you can take it out and clean it with a rub of a cloth and this is usually enough to get it going. You can be fairly sure this is what the issue is, either this or an ignition coil but if it was a coil, it would probably just be one out of four that have failed and at least you would be able to start the car.

Are you at all handy with tools??? If you are, you should be able to take out the crank position sensor and clean it, it is not too difficult to get to and I know for sure that with the Megane, cleaning it will usually resolve the issue. The head of the sensor is magnatised and picks up metallic dust that interferes with its operation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Note, you CANNOT get an electrical shock from the battery, it is not possible, so feel free to check the terminals that attach onto the battery to make sure they are tight.

Try touching both terminals if you really believe that. :eek:

OP, he's still right about the new battery, check the terminal attachments for tightness. Apart from that, you might have just flooded the engine. Leave it for 20 mins before you try again.

Hmmmm not at all handy with tools......... Should I chance paying Axa Rescue the €80 to come out to me.... Mechanic seemed to think this would be a waste of money... Thanks for all your help...

House wrote: »
    Try touching both terminals if you really believe that. :eek:

OP, he's still right about the new battery, check the terminal attachments for tightness. Apart from that, you might have just flooded the engine. Leave it for 20 mins before you try again.

It's not possible to get an electric shock from a 12VDC battery, this is a fact. Nobody suggested the OP cross the terminals, I suggested he check that the terminals are tight.

• Advertisement

If you know where the crankshaft speed sensor is

Made it home...:) Axa rescue guy came out and fiddled around with the crankshaft sensor and hey presto the car started...... Luckily it didn't cut out on my drive home and I'll take it to the garage in the morning to get it sorted... Thanks for all advice, Darragh29 you win boards mechanic of the year..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

good to be home for xmas :) nice one

Great news, glad to be able to help OP.

Advertisement