Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just do it

Options
  • 23-12-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm here to spread the good word.

Basically I'm a girl who's always known she's been attracted to women, but I only really admitted it to myself in recent years. I moved to the opposite end of the country to my hometown for college so I could live as my true self. As I came to terms with it myself I gradually told my friends up here (I adopted a "truth" promise to myself, where I said that if anyone asked me about it I'd tell them the truth)

I spent the last two years up here milling my sexuality around in my head and when I split up with my last boyfriend I went on the hunt for a woman. I'll admit it isn't easy finding someone, let alone someone you genuinely like in the small pool of lesbians out there, but when I stopped trying it seemed to come together for me. I started seeing an amazing girl and decided it was time to start coming out to the folks at home, which is still ongoing in the sense that I have yet to tell my dad.

Basically I just want to encourage everyone out there who's lurking the LGB boards, all the homo(or otherwise unusual)sexuals who just can't admit it to themselves to really be true to yourself, it's amazingly relieving to be out, even though some people may react badly, it's the first step on the road to being the real you. Once it's out there's no pressure to "seem" a certain way, no pressure to be something that deep down, you're not.

I hope you all find happiness in yourselves. (oh the cheese)
    Good luck :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Weidii wrote: »
    when I stopped trying it seemed to come together for me

Simple enough as it seems, that's often the case.

I agree with you on being out - huge relief and very soon yesterday's news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Tula

Good on ya girl I totally agree! I spent the guts of 6 years figuring out my true feelings, battling with boyfriends and making myself ill trying to figure out why my hetro relationships never worked! Finding BeLonG To and coming out to my parents and friends has been the making of me and I'm so happy I figured it out while I'm still so young.

Coming out saved my life (as cheese toastie as that is)

Wendy

http://www.belongto.org

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I agree 100%, I even considered posting something like this so I'm glad you did! Your feelings are unlikely to change dramatically and if you can just accept it you'll feel so much better. Also no matter who you are, or what your situation, you can find at least one person in the world to tell, even if they're a stranger. There are people in foreign countries who still get executed for it, what's the worst that can happen here?

Advertisement