Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite (Best) Off Licence for Ales . . .

• 23-12-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I have been struggling to find a really good 'offy' that stock a decent selection of bottled Ales, & its generally been 'hit & miss' & usually 'miss' for years - until now :D

Went looking for some festive Ales the other day & inadvertently walked into 'Hollands' (Main St Bray Co Wicklow) I was then like a kid in a sweet shop for the next ten mins or so, I couldnt believe my luck & I came out with a massive selection box of Ales including two bottles of each of the following > Bishops Finger > Hobgoblin > Hens Tooth > Spitfire > Abbott Ale > Bombardier > Bombardier 'Satanic Mills' > Bombardier 'Burning Gold' > Bah Humbug Festive Ale > Fiddlers Elbow . . .

After I had paid for & packed the lot into a box, I looked back at the fridge once again & discovered that the list goes on & on, including about five Scottish bottled Ale's that I hadnt seen > I will be back .............

Whats your Favourite (best) Off Licence for Ale near you?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Redmond's of Ranelagh, Deveney's of Rathmines and Drink Store on Manor Street are my usual Dublin haunts. Good beer off licences throughout the country are the green pins on this map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Redmond's for me to there its one of the best around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

The Mill Wine Cellar in Maynooth is pretty good. You get everything there , although i know its a bit outside the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

+1 for Redmonds of Ranelagh, prob the best!

The Midlands is fairly dire for decent beer!!:mad: Very hard to get anything out of the ordinary!

Best I've come across in the Midlands is the Old Stand in Mullingar.
    Tiny place but it has nice selection!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Dunno if you ever venture up North, OP, but if you do, Sainsbury's ought to quench your thirst for ales, or your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Camelot wrote: »
    I have been struggling to find a really good 'offy' that stock a decent selection of bottled Ales, & its generally been 'hit & miss' & usually 'miss' for years - until now :D

Went looking for some festive Ales the other day & inadvertently walked into 'Hollands' (Main St Bray Co Wicklow) I was then like a kid in a sweet shop for the next ten mins or so, I couldnt believe my luck & I came out with a massive selection box of Ales including two bottles of each of the following > Bishops Finger > Hobgoblin > Hens Tooth > Spitfire > Abbott Ale > Bombardier > Bombardier 'Satanic Mills' > Bombardier 'Burning Gold' > Bah Humbug Festive Ale > Fiddlers Elbow . . .

After I had paid for & packed the lot into a box, I looked back at the fridge once again & discovered that the list goes on & on, including about five Scottish bottled Ale's that I hadnt seen > I will be back .............

Whats your Favourite (best) Off Licence for Ale near you?
    good one on philipsberg ave cant thint of name but easy found (only one on road)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the bolt wrote: »
    good one on philipsberg ave cant thint of name but easy found (only one on road)
    Lilac Wines: yes it's excellent, and great staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Carvills on Camden St (next to Tesco Express) and O'Neills opposite Griffth College on SCR would be my two local ones, O'Neills being the regular one as it's 3 roads away from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

+1 for redmonds
    Sweeneys at Harts corner in Phibsboro do good value on the Belgium beers box sets. Redmonds are a rip off when it comes to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

London Pride = €4:50 a bottle :cool:

Hollands Off Licence, Bray Co Wicklow .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Devenys in Dundrum have a decent, varying selection of beer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

idk where you can get em but the ales from http://www.sinclairbreweries.co.uk/index.php

are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Harvest by Wolfe Tone Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Is Redmonds a rip off though? was in their before christmass and it was 3.50 for a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale like I understand the logic of the other prices being high but that seemed like they must have a minimum price for "ale" bottles so got me to thinking that maybe they push up the price of other bottles too.
    +1 Sainsburys (they sell Belfast ale and clockworthy dobbin these days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Everywhere seems to be expensive for the bottles for some reason. You can get the cans in Dunnes Stores for €1.40. Not as cool as the bottles, but the bottles can't be justified at those prices

Advertisement