Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Impreza delayed...

Options
  • 23-12-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Yet more fallout from the global financial crisis...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/236736/

This can't auger well for diesel versions of other Subaru models like the Legacy and Forester.

And what about other brands from Japan? Honda have pulled out of F1, Toyota will make a loss for the first time in 60 years, various projects have been cancelled (NSX, Toyota/Subaru coupe...)

The seriousness of the current crisis is really starting to bite.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Good they need to get rid of the current imprezza design its horrid before they bring out a Diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hold on, the article is about
    diesel Subaru Impreza UK launch has been delayed indefinitely due to the yen exchange rate

That wouldn't impact on the Irish market, surely? Subaru petrol engined car sales in Ireland will be very low into the future, the diesels will sell reasonably well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

More than likely they done market research and discovered that people in the UK and Ireland are waking up to the crap that is being shoveled in here from Asia, Who in their right mind would buy a Subaru not a mind a Diesel hatchback like that hideous thing.

Asian cars are built lightly with poor quality construction in sweatshop factories wheras European brands are designed and mostly built in Europe, VW, Mercedes and BMW produce the best enigneered and designed cars in the world and the most effecient with VW turbo charged direct injection Diesels second to none.

These high quality cars support European industry and European jobs (which are not out of control like the Americans AWU $80/hour either) VW Technicians in Germany make around €1600 or €1700 a month but this is good wages as everything isn't a rip off like here.

People are abondoning the Asian cars due to their light touch and Ford are the No.1 seller in Ireland now and Toyota are making a loss due to their rip-off prices for Irish VRT Specials like a 1.6 avensis with airbags stripped out and the thing looks like it was drawn by a three year old.

Reitred men in their 60's here used once drive Subarus and Honda Civics but lately these two brands have been hijacked by scobes working in the "bildings" and wrecked both brands, Subaru have little place in the Irish market except the boyracer with alot of money and not too much brains, which gladly thanks to the credit crunch has sorted the men from the boys in terms of Financial stablility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

mumhaabu wrote: »
    More than likely they done market research and discovered that people in the UK and Ireland are waking up to the crap that is being shoveled in here from Asia, Who in their right mind would buy a Subaru not a mind a Diesel hatchback like that hideous thing.

Asian cars are built lightly with poor quality construction in sweatshop factories wheras European brands are designed and mostly built in Europe, VW, Mercedes and BMW produce the best enigneered and designed cars in the world and the most effecient with VW turbo charged direct injection Diesels second to none.

These high quality cars support European industry and European jobs (which are not out of control like the Americans AWU $80/hour either) VW Technicians in Germany make around €1600 or €1700 a month but this is good wages as everything isn't a rip off like here.

People are abondoning the Asian cars due to their light touch and Ford are the No.1 seller in Ireland now and Toyota are making a loss due to their rip-off prices for Irish VRT Specials like a 1.6 avensis with airbags stripped out and the thing looks like it was drawn by a three year old.

Reitred men in their 60's here used once drive Subarus and Honda Civics but lately these two brands have been hijacked by scobes working in the "bildings" and wrecked both brands, Subaru have little place in the Irish market except the boyracer with alot of money and not too much brains, which gladly thanks to the credit crunch has sorted the men from the boys in terms of Financial stablility.

More and more skangers are driving Passat's, A4's, 316's now.

If anything its the other way round :D

You dont see many scobes driving 08 Civic's/Legacy's these days.

I would like to see figures on the europeans reliability against the Japs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What complete & utter horsesh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Toyota employees in Burnaston, Nissan employees in Sunderland and Honda employees in Swindon would be insulted by your assertion that they make shoddy goods. That's just the UK in terms of car assembly of what you term 'Asian' cars.

The NCAP would be most distressed that you don't believe the results of their safety tests.

You appear to lack a global vision and have a somewhat insular view of the world. Car manufacturers can't be pigeonholed by their country of origin any more. How many car assembly plants do Toyota alone have in the USA?

Finally, do you know ANYTHING about cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Which makes frequently come top of the jd power survey?? Lexus, subaru and skoda! Last time I checked the first two came from asia and the other came from europe.

European giants like mercedes, their reliability has fallen sharply in the last ten fifteen years - take the aul merc 190, built like a tank and VERY reliable. Build quality of the new c class is rubbish compared to the 190. Europe needs to get its act together (apart from skoda - feckin brilliant cars) in order to survive..... People will soon realise that toyotas marketin slogan ' the best built cars in the world ' is true

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where did you read this crap from? Subaru make some very interesting cars, any half decent car enthusiast while maybe not having a particular fondness for the brand would still acknowledge so.

More rubbish talk. A fair share of Asian cars are designed and built right here in Europe so that theory is out the window. Also MB made some right poor products over the last decade due to their marriage with Chrysler and VAG's quality is industry average, sorry but silicone dampened grab handles and some high quality interior plastics are not the bench mark of what makes a quality product. Also Toyota reported a loss for the first time in something like 70 years. I don't know about you but in business terms that is not bad, everyone is feeling the effects of the Global Economic downturn. You don't become the biggest car maker in the world by producing crap.

I will acknowlege that VAG did really bring the diesel engine out of the dark ages with their TDi back in the early 1990s and the Asians are only jumping on the bandwagen now but others have now surpased VAG's TDi engine with newer common rail technology which VAG are only now introducing across their range.

Again not true, Avensis had 9 air bags as standard here since 2003 which other cars in it's class didn't have (some still don't have). It also had a 5 star Euro NCAP which was ahead of the Mondeo or Vectra at the time. Ford and Opel also offer 1.6 Irish specials of their euro boxes so that point is irrelevent. Ford and Toyota overall have been kneck and kneck here in Ireland for years from a sales point of view. The Focus being the top selling car closly followed by the Corolla but Toyota closes the gap by selling more Avensis than Ford do Mondeos here.

Sorry but where are reading this stuff from? Have you looked out your window lately? Boyracers generally drive anything that is easy to modify. Some have moved on from Civics, Imprezzas to 3 Series, A4s etc these days. What has any of this got to do with how good or bad these cars are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wow, the amount of trolling here is hillarious.

Truth is that the Japs and the Europeans make some very good and some very bad cars.

I wouldn't buy a Merc in a month of Sundays, then again I wouldn't be seen dead in most Nissans.

Toyotas are not "the Best Built Cars in the World" either, or even close to it, their reliability has been slipping in recent times and the Auris is not going down very well either, but then again their CEO is obsessed with cutting costs and the quality is taking a downturn, just like Merc did back in the 90s.

The Auris is one of the very few cars I've driven that I could find absolutely nothing at all to like about it. It is a really hateful car.

Its predecessor, the Corolla was a much nicer car.

Then again the latest 5 series is not as good as its precedessor either, but I have to admit after 6 months of having an E60 the latest one has really grown on me but I still prefer the E39 by the slimmest of margins.

On the other hand cars like the Nissan GTR amaze me, most BMWs are fantastic, I've really started taking a liking to Mazda and the Honda FCX could well be the most important car of the 21st century, along with the BMW Hydrogen 7 of course.

Opel and Ford are on a bit of a roll in recent times, the Insignia and new Fiesta I'm sure will turn out to be fantastic cars.

Car makers go through good periods and bad periods in terms of making good cars.

I would say that Ford, Opel, Honda and Mazda are on a roll at the moment, while Merc, BMW and Toyota are going downhill.

Toyota were making some very good cars about 4-5 years ago, but they're not anymore. Merc haven't made good cars since the W140 S class, the last Merc that was built like a tank.

BMW's bread and butter, the 3 and 5 series are still excellent, the trouble is they go and make yokes like the X6 and forthcoming X1 and ruin all their good work. Worse still is the fact that the X6 and X5 are going to gain an M version soon. What's really annoying is that they throw out good designs like the new 7 series which is much more BMW like in almost every respect compared to the old model and then they terrify you by making the Z4 just as ugly as the old model, though thankfully the interior is much, much nicer and more BMW like.

Does M stand for motor sport or marketing these days?

Even the reliability things that have been thrown around here amaze me.

Not everything that has Japanese parenting is super duper reliability wise.

Mitsubishi GDI engines are notorious for their lack of reliability(they're also sh!t in every other measure bar economy too).

Mazda's in house diesel(the 2.0) is well known for going wrong too, just ask galwaytt.

Toyota's Auris is giving plenty of trouble, and apparently their 2.2 D-4D engine goes wrong a fair bit as well.

Similarly you might be surprised to hear that FIATs in the past few years have gotten a lot more reliable, and their common rail diesels are up with the best of them for durability.

PSA(Peugeot-Citroen) have a very reliable HDi diesel engine too, while Skodas would apppear to be much more reliable than their Volkswagen Group sisters.

You simply can't make sweeping generalisations about Euro versus Jap.

There is everything from the fantastic to the downright awful and bulletproof to the horifficly unreliable from both continents.

Shame about toyota, they did make some great cars, reliability wise just look at the top gear hilux and I know a taxi driver that has 385k miles on his avensis and still strong. Such a shame to see toyotas reliability image going down the swanny.

Complete opposite with skoda though - there was a time when it was easy to pull a joke on lada as it was skoda. However there now more reliable then the rest of the VAG group. The last laugh is on them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Drove the subaru legacy diesel recently and what a car, The impreza would deffo be a good seller if sold in diesel and with all the STI toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Well i've been driving a Passat for 3 yrs and would not consider myself a "skanger" whatever the f**k that is. And as for your "best built cars in the world, I had an Avensis once (never will stray from Germany again) which needed a power steering rack at 8500miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Your average "skanger" is not a beer swilling Scumbag who we seem to mistake them to be and muddle the lines. They are car enthusiasts often "dress up" their cars with spoilers etc. which I dislike but each to their own, they may not have great styling but their platforms are a solid choice before the spoliers, exhaust and playboy seats.

Alot of these car nuts don't drink and these cars become their hobby and passion and most of them are complete nuts about cars and know their lemons from their oranges. Alot of them know what are the good ones and the bad ones so it is natural to see Passats, Audis and 3 series being driven by them as they are very good cars, pity the way the soup them up, a scratch or dent is the equivelent of their worst nightmare also and they usually mind their cars much better than the average joe soap.

Plus thoses cars that you mentioned can be picked up cheap and in good condition without being loaded with insurance monsters like that of an Impreza or Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Ye have me all wrong :D

Im not saying people that drive said cars are scumbags, my dad has an A4 lol.Im saying scumbags drive all sorts of cars, european, jap, american, and everyother.Mumhaabu said only knackers drive japs like Civic's, so I pointed out that, alot of them drive europeans too ( which he said they didnt ).

When I say Skangers, I mean scumbags aka travelers ( they love passats/X5's it seems ), not car enthusiasts/ boy racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had an Avensis once (never will stray from Germany again) which needed a power steering rack at 8500miles

My uncle had a 07 Passat that spent more time in the garage having software upgrades to the ECU as the car kept reporting problems for no reason. I had a 03 Avensis which now has 170k miles on it that spent less time in the garage than that Passat. All it proves is that my uncle had a lemon and so did you.

Every car company can and does produce them, these myths that because it's German means it's superior or that because it is Japanese it's bombproof, is nothing more than nonsense marketing aimed at brainwashing customers into brand loyalty. All car makers are guilty of this.

Anyway this has gone way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Your average "skanger" is not a beer swilling Scumbag who we seem to mistake them to be and muddle the lines. They are car enthusiasts often "dress up" their cars with spoilers etc. which I dislike but each to their own, they may not have great styling but their platforms are a solid choice before the spoliers, exhaust and playboy seats.

Alot of these car nuts don't drink and these cars become their hobby and passion and most of them are complete nuts about cars and know their lemons from their oranges. Alot of them know what are the good ones and the bad ones so it is natural to see Passats, Audis and 3 series being driven by them as they are very good cars, pity the way the soup them up, a scratch or dent is the equivelent of their worst nightmare also and they usually mind their cars much better than the average joe soap.

Plus thoses cars that you mentioned can be picked up cheap and in good condition without being loaded with insurance monsters like that of an Impreza or Civic.

WTF are you smoking and where are you getting all these half-baked, hare-brained, ill-informed theories from?
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Every car company can and does produce them, these myths that because it's German means it's superior or that because it is Japanese it's bombproof, is nothing more than nonsense marketing aimed at brainwashing customers into brand loyalty. All car makers are guilty of this.

Anyway this has gone way off topic.

A voice of sanity...

Back to the topic - i have no idea if this effects Ireland or if the Yen/Euro exchange rate would make a difference. AFAIK IM Automotive import to both Ireland and UK tho...

When I say Skangers, I mean scumbags aka travelers ( they love passats/X5's it seems ), not car enthusiasts/ boy racers.

Watch yourself that could be taken the wrong way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LOL - classic troll.

Anyhoo, + to E92 on my awful 2.0 Mazda diesel, and coincidentally also +1 on the Fiat 150bhp diesel - which replaced it. Albeit in a Saab. No comparison. I'd go around the world in the Fiat/Saab, I wouldn't cross the road in the Mazda.

That said, I'd go to the moon in my 90 MX-5. God knows what Mazda did with those engineers, but they sure ain't working in the car factory anymore.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

pburns wrote: »
    Back to the topic - i have no idea if this effects Ireland or if the Yen/Euro exchange rate would make a difference. AFAIK IM Automotive import to both Ireland and UK tho...

I reckon you're right - the Irish spec cars are closely although not 100% related to the UK cars - I suspect that you're right in that there'll be very little incentive to move RHD cars half way across the world just to supply the Irish market. Subaru sales in Ireland aren't huge and seeing as we're experiencing a slump that may be greater in impact than the rest of Europe, it'd be a brave pencil-pusher that'd argue for a special case for Ireland. It's a shame though - the Impreza diesel would broaden Suabur's appeal here in a big way. In broader terms we already know that diesel sales in Japan aren't huge so unless Australia and other RHD markets can demonstrate a big demand for the Impreza diesel then it's most likely sunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/01/01/337098.html

I wonder is this true - haven't seen it anywhere else yet - price looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm not surprised Subaru is going ahead over here. €21k seems a great price though!

Great news - should be a big seller for them

Diesel Impreza has appeared on the Subaru Ireland website. Pricing looks good, especially when compared with the Corolla/Focus diesel models.

Advertisement