Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs. Lynne Whittaker (RIP)

• 23-12-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I only learned today that Mrs. Whittaker passed away on December 11th after a long illness. :(

Anyone who studied Biology at NUIM up until the late 1990's would have known Mrs Whittaker. She was wife of Professor Peter Whittaker, who was head of Department until 2002.

She lectured in Plant Systematics and was known affectionately as 'Ma Whittaker' or when she was in a foul mood, less affectionately as 'that dragon!' :)

She was a truly wonderful woman who really cared about her students and despite her absolutely fierce reputation was a really genuine, nice and caring person.

I had the pleasure of knowing her as an undergraduate and then as a demonstrator when studying for my PhD.

RIP. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

Ah yeh I remember her. I only did Biology in my first year of Science, I dropped it after that but I do remember some of my friends who continued Biology talked fondly of her.

Advertisement