Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graham Poll opens his mouth

• 23-12-2008 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

And out comes rubbish.
    whats poll on saying that he'd take into account that john terry is england captain before sending him off. i didnt see what he said so if im wrong im sorry, but that is such a stupid thing to say. you could argue he is just being honest, but surely he should be asking himself why he would consider who a player is before judging a foul. im losing faith in refs and the FA, theyre ruining the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He is a media whore and says these things to stay in the limelight spotlight !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's a fu€king disgrace alright!
    Former high-profile referee and current pundit Graham Poll made some interesting remarks regarding John Terry's sending-off against Everton.

He seemed to hint that referees' decisions can be altered depending on the status of the offending player.

As far as the Premier League is concerned, they don't come much more heavyweight than Chelsea and England skipper Terry.

Reflecting on the straight red, dished out for a rash, high tackle on Toffees star Leon Osman by Phil Dowd after he consulted his assistants, Poll said: "You have to remember you are sending off the England captain."

He continued in his Daily Mail newspaper column: "I know very well that, although all players should be treated equally, there is great pressure on an official when dealing with the England captain."

Moron!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

that's an absolute disgrace I know it went on in the past but I though we were getting over this kinda ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

What an absolute jackass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness, it's exactly why Terry's been getting away with this kind of thing for years. He's a very dirty player, who loves to lead with his elbow but never gets called up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What, exactly, is wrong with Poll coming out and saying what everyone knows is true, and has known it for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Des wrote: »
    What, exactly, is wrong with Poll coming out and saying what everyone knows is true, and has known it for years.

because refs are supposed to be fair and uphold the rules of the game, and if one of the top refs in england says theyre not fair, i think its a disgrace. just because it happens doesnt make it right

bigstar wrote: »
    because refs are supposed to be fair and uphold the rules of the game, and if one of the top refs in england says theyre not fair, i think its a disgrace. just because it happens doesnt make it right

Poll doesn't ref any more.

He's a pundit.

And I'm not saying that the behaviour is correct, no player should be protected, but for people to be on their high horse about Poll coming out and saying it happens is really...weird or something? A blind man could see it's been going on for years.

Why the fact that Poll has finally admitted to it is relevent I don't know.

I'll say this though. John Terry has been sent from the field on two occasions this season by referees.

Who else has been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Poll doesn't ref any more.

He's a pundit.

And I'm not saying that the behaviour is correct, no player should be protected, but for people to be on their high horse about Poll coming out and saying it happens is really...weird or something? A blind man could see it's been going on for years.

Why the fact that Poll has finally admitted to it is relevent I don't know.

I'll say this though. John Terry has been sent from the field on two occasions this season by referees.

Who else has been?

And look at the fuss it has created on both occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

And out comes rubbish.
    whats poll on saying that he'd take into account that john terry is england captain before sending him off. i didnt see what he said so if im wrong im sorry, but that is such a stupid thing to say. you could argue he is just being honest, but surely he should be asking himself why he would consider who a player is before judging a foul. im losing faith in refs and the FA, theyre ruining the game.

He didn't say HE would take it into account, he said that officials in general feel under pressure when they feel the need to send a player off. He's not a ref anymore so how does a comment from an ex ref diminish your faith in current refs. There's plenty of other things that will do that.

Why Poll felt he needed to come out and state the bloody obvious is beyond me but even worse is that anyone is talking about it at all. It's like someone saying some cops are crooked and everyone getting their knickers in a twist over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

well if nobody gives a ****, it will stay the same. yes we all know certain sides and players can sway a refs decision but a ref (or former ref) has never admitted it happens. but seeing as we mostly dont care, next time it happens i hope nobody complains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Poll said that after he had sent off some high profile player before (think it was Terry), the FA were basically up his hole investigating him for 3 weeks, it's a disgrace. We all know it happens, I don't see what was wrong with Poll saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Me neither, he's just saying what everyone is thinking, Terry has gotten away with a lot imo cos he's ingerland captain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

in fairness, Poll is spot on. Terry has continually been given preferential treatment by referee's and the FA because of his captain status. it's about time someone other than the members of boards.ie spoke up on the issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

He just confirmed what we already knew, John Terry gets away with rediculous ****. Normally 6 or 7 amazing saves with his arms per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what he has said on this occassion, but in general I loathe the ****. Such a fcukin media whore, and one of the refs responsible for this culture of refs being famous for being refs.

Single handily, he has reduced the quality of Football Matters on Setanta, a program which, up until his appearances, was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He is only speaking the truth look at what Shearer got away with when he was playing and Captin of England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

And out comes rubbish.
    whats poll on saying that he'd take into account that john terry is england captain before sending him off. i didnt see what he said so if im wrong im sorry, but that is such a stupid thing to say. you could argue he is just being honest,

It's true though, remember the Arsenal game?

Terry nearly breaks Fabregas in half with a ridiculous challenge and the pundits don't see a thing wrong with it.
    Then Eboue goes in on Terry with an fairly similair challenge and the pundits are up in arms, I actually remember the actual words used as me and my mates (Arsenal, United and Pool fans) have a good laugh about it.
    "That's the kind of tackle that has to be cut out of the game. You can't tackle the England captain like that"

It's ridiculous, they think the sun shines through the arse of 'Captain Lionheart JT captain of Engerland football team'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

sofireland wrote: »
    Me neither, he's just saying what everyone is thinking, Terry has gotten away with a lot imo cos he's ingerland captain

It's not just the England captain...

Carragher should be giving away a penalty a week but has gotten away with murder over the years (may be exaggerated for effect)

Ferdinand gets away with a hell of a lot more than he should

Rooney can pretty much abuse refs at will with no consequences, Lampard the same for the most part.

Shearer was another prime example of an England player that got away with a hell of a lot more than he should have.

In fairness to Poll the last time he sent terry off he was hauled up and ultimately it was rescinded, terry was sent off earlier this season and that was rescinded as well.

It's rife across all the English players, they can't be seen to be bringing the game into disrepute or showing a lack of discipline so they need to keep the number of cards and penalties down for the squad members. I've doubt the referees are under pressure to try and use their "best judgement" when faced with a decision facing a member of the English national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

This thread is the perfect example of what happens when there is too much analysis on one topic (i.e. - football). The slightest of mishap by a person gets blown-up into a huge debate that will stay around for a few days. I'm sure that Poll said what he said as a mishap, and that he regretted it afterwards. How many times have you guys said something to only regret it afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

eZe^ wrote: »
    What an absolute jackass.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Brilliant. the sky is blue we all know and accept that its blue but as soon as someone comes out and says its blue there is uproar!

We know English players are over protected and over hyped, thats a given so whats all the fuss about?

I also love the way every time a ball hits a defenders hand these days its a penalty and he has gotten away with it. Have people forgot about ball to hand? I've watched a lot of JT this year and while I would say there are certainly 2 occasions he got away with a handball the rest were ball to hand while he is going in sliding. Hardly his fault?

Terry has continually been given preferential treatment by referee's
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    John Terry gets away with rediculous ****.

Once again.

John Terry has been red-carded twice this season by referees in the Premier League.

Which other player(s) have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Once again.

John Terry has been red-carded twice this season by referees in the Premier League.

Which other player(s) have?

The first one was rescinded and the referee was demoted to League 1 the following weekend because he wouldn't rescind until ordered too. So technically 26 others have been sent off as many times.

I think the question that should be asked is how many times should an English squad member have been booked/red carded this season in comparison to how many times they were?

This isn't a witch hunt on JT from my by the way, I think Rooney is a lot worse in this regard. At least Terry is trying to play football and stop the opposition scoring, Rooney is just being abusive and petulant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what he has said on this occassion, but in general I loathe the ****. Such a fcukin media whore, and one of the refs responsible for this culture of refs being famous for being refs.

Single handily, he has reduced the quality of Football Matters on Setanta, a program which, up until his appearances, was excellent.

I dunno.

I know Poll's a smug asshole, but he's not an idiot. At least he's smarter than many of the footballers they have on. (The Rodney Marsh one was cringe-worthy...)

He knows his subject very well.

Advertisement