Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance ????

Options
  • 23-12-2008 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Sorry for another boring old question but I have just spent the last few hours looking at different health insurance companies and plans and I am none the wiser. I am currently with Quinn on Essential plan for a family of 4. It is however being increase so I just want to shop around but it is a bit of a mine field. Can any one advise as to which is the better value. We are generally healthy and can't remember even using our insurance bar maternity cover so it is really beginning to feel I should explore the option of dropping ti all together. Due to the current state of the health service does it really make a difference being insured or not?

This has ended up being more than one question I know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

There are over 200 health insurance plans in the Irish market, most of which Joe Public would not be aware of so no wonder it is confusing. To narrow down one’s search; by answering a couple of questions, this can be quite easy.

Overview: VHI and Hibernian Aviva Health (Vivas Health) have more similar plans.

Majority of population are on Plans A-E, with vast majority on Plan B and these level A-E equate to Hibernian Aviva’s level 1-5, Hibernian are cheaper and tend to have extra benefits. Hibernian on their 1-5 strip out the money back for visiting doctors, physios etc from their plans and have them as extra benefits which you pay extra for, the key though there is no excess on these type of policies. The excesses on Plan B & Plan B options as an example are €380 & €500 for families before one gets any money back for visiting their gp and after you have reached this excess you only get €13 or € 20 after that. If one goes to the doctor etc a lot, they should look at adding day-to day from Hibernian Aviva or Health stages from VHI as they won’t be hit with the same excesses.

Quinn on the other hand have their BUPA plans and then the plans that they introduced themselves. They offer one of the most basic plans which is also one of the cheapest. Other policies that they have include the Essential Range and the Health manager range. Quinn tend to have policies with and without excesses, if there is an excess the premium is cheaper but like motor insurance if you need healthcare, the cost will be a lot higher than a policy that doesn’t have excesses. To complicate matters further, some benefits on Quinn policies are not subject to an excess, eg colon cancer screening whereas Quinn and Hibernian Aviva do.
    Do look at the overall summary of which plan suits best.

What level of hospital cover do you want? Essential with Quinn is the same as Hibernian Health’s level 1 or VHI’s Plan A – this provides semi private room in a public hospital and full cover as a day case patient in a public hospital. Everything else you will have to pay for, ie any access to private hospital or Mater, Beacon or Blackrock Private you will have to pay balance of the bill which will be from 40-75% of the bill – even day case procedures? Where do you live? What is your attitude towards private hospitals ? Only you can decide that one… Personally I think one should have Plan B, Level 2 or Essential Plus as a minimum. Otherwise the plan that you are on will probably do the trick as there is only one plan that is cheaper than that – Essential Starter.

Do you go to the gp, dentist, physio or alternative practitioners a lot? – If so take out separate policy which will give cash back, without excess.

If you are happy with Quinn, contact them and have them change the renewal date of your policy to December 30th or 31st to lock in for the old rate of €31.75 per month for adult for a year (less for child)

Look at switching to Hibernian Aviva Health on December 30th where their rate for Level 1 is €30.76 per month for adult (less for child and less again for 2nd child) or Level 2 for €44.17 per month.

Does one need health insurance ? If you are very sick, once you get a bed, the public system will probably work for you however don't under estimate the value of private hospitals and especially day case procedures. As regards the kids, they would probably end up going to Temple Street, Tallaght or Crumlin anyhow.

Good luck with your choice & Happy Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I to have been looking at insurance lately. Im so lost what to get. There seems to be a million plans to choose from. And which insurance company?

Same as above.

- Choose level of hospital cover ?

- Do you want to add on cash back ?

Then you have it narrowed down to a handful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I have been thinking about going with hibernian the me plan level 2 with day-to-day cover (where they cover u for 3 visits per year to a gp). I never get sick much and there is also a free doctor in work once a week anyway, so i think its the best plan for me anyway.

But, what's the difference between the me plan and the i plan. Is there much of a difference? The only difference i see is the price.

lisajane wrote: »
    I have been thinking about going with hibernian the me plan level 2 with day-to-day cover (where they cover u for 3 visits per year to a gp). I never get sick much and there is also a free doctor in work once a week anyway, so i think its the best plan for me anyway.

But, what's the difference between the me plan and the i plan. Is there much of a difference? The only difference i see is the price.

The "Me Plan" from Hibernian health is a first time buyer type of health insurance which offers cover at level 1 or level 2 - level 2 provides greater hospital accomodation. It has a minimum maternity benefit and in patient benefits would be at a minimum level also.

The "I Plan" (for individuals), the "We Plan" (for more than 1 in a family) offers hospital accomodation at levels 1-5 and matches VHI's Plan A-E. It provides comprehensive cover for in patient, maternity and pre/post natal cover.

I would pay the little extra for the I Plan and work out whether you will get value from the day to day benefit. Make sure you ask Hibernian for a start date of December 30th to avail of 10% discount and no addition of health levy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have to say the whole thing still confuses me, I have been and still am with VHI on their top plan E, I'm wondering do I really need the top plan, I'm in my mid 30's, to downgrading my plan, what do I lose? is it just a case that I lose a private room in a priavate hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

Hi, I am with VHI (Plan B Options) but I plan to switch on the 30th to Hibernian. I also have travel insurance with VHI but Hibernian dont offer a travel insurance product, any suggestions as to what the best alternative is.
    123.ie seem to have a good range of travel insurance options but there might be better?? Thanks in anticipation :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Have to say the whole thing still confuses me, I have been and still am with VHI on their top plan E, I'm wondering do I really need the top plan, I'm in my mid 30's, to downgrading my plan, what do I lose? is it just a case that I lose a private room in a priavate hospital.

Plan E with VHI will give you private room in all hospitals in the country including Blackrock Private, Mater Private and Beacon Hospital as an in patient. Plan D will give you semi private in these hospitals. Plan C/C Options will give you private room in all hospitals except the above 3, only partial cover. Plan B/ Plan B Options will give you semi private room in all hospitals (except the above 3, only partial cover) but option to pay extra for the private room in all but 3, the cost of this way dearer with VHI than Hibernian and Quinn.

Do you need Plan E? VHI are increasing premium from €169 per month to €220 per month from Jan 1st and they are saying that that is only due to health inflation and NOT the levy.

Quinn's Health Manager Gold will give you same access to Plan E and will be €175 per month from Jan 1st up from 157 per month.

Hibernian Aviva Health Level 5 on their I/We Plan is €145 per month if taken out on December 30th. That is a saving of €900 per year certainly for this year or if you drop down to Plan B with VHI you will save €1812 per year and a whopping €2,112 saving for at least one year if you transfer to Hibernian's I Plan Level 2.

Look at www.hia.ie for some comparisons.

Anon47 wrote: »
    Hi, I am with VHI (Plan B Options) but I plan to switch on the 30th to Hibernian. I also have travel insurance with VHI but Hibernian dont offer a travel insurance product, any suggestions as to what the best alternative is.
    123.ie seem to have a good range of travel insurance options but there might be better?? Thanks in anticipation :)

Hibernian do sell travel insurance but I did hear that they are significantly reducing their prices for travel insurance in the first week of January for those with and without travel insurance.

One thing with travel insurance, it may be better to take out separate policy that doesn't require you to have travel insurance albeit premium may be a little cheaper but the cover might not be as good.

broker2008 wrote: »
    Plan E with VHI will give you private room in all hospitals in the country including Blackrock Private, Mater Private and Beacon Hospital as an in patient. Plan D will give you semi private in these hospitals. Plan C/C Options will give you private room in all hospitals except the above 3, only partial cover. Plan B/ Plan B Options will give you semi private room in all hospitals (except the above 3, only partial cover) but option to pay extra for the private room in all but 3, the cost of this way dearer with VHI than Hibernian and Quinn.

Do you need Plan E? VHI are increasing premium from €169 per month to €220 per month from Jan 1st and they are saying that that is only due to health inflation and NOT the levy.

Quinn's Health Manager Gold will give you same access to Plan E and will be €175 per month from Jan 1st up from 157 per month.

Hibernian Aviva Health Level 5 on their I/We Plan is €145 per month if taken out on December 30th. That is a saving of €900 per year certainly for this year or if you drop down to Plan B with VHI you will save €1812 per year and a whopping €2,112 saving for at least one year if you transfer to Hibernian's I Plan Level 2.

Look at www.hia.ie for some comparisons.

Tks very much for the above just to clarify, if I want to stay on vhi plan E I will pay 220 per month. Quinn Health Managers Gold is 175 Euro per month and Hibernian Leval 5 is 145 per month. Are their any differences at all in any of the above plans, on first looking it appears not. Tks

• Advertisement

Tks very much for the above just to clarify, if I want to stay on vhi plan E I will pay 220 per month. Quinn Health Managers Gold is 175 Euro per month and Hibernian Leval 5 is 145 per month. Are their any differences at all in any of the above plans, on first looking it appears not. Tks

Well you could always try and change your renewal date to December 31st with VHI - don't know if they will let you or not. I hear they are not even trying to argue with cancellations on the phones because of the huge numbers switching.

Quinn charge extra if you pay monthly.

level 5 v plan e: there are no comparisons on VHI's site to Hibernian, in fact they only acknowledge Quinn on their site so I can only take it that Hibernian's info is correct.

See this http://tinyurl.com/9dycfe to do comparison yourself.

In summary: Hibernian offer more hospitals and treatment centres than VHI, better maternity benefits, more convalescence homes, more mri and ct scan centres and they have direct settlement too - no paying up front. Surgery offered abroad. Lower outpatient excess, have a whole load of benefits that offer cashback including teeth whitening, laser eye surgery, Allen Carr stop smoking programme, contributions towards health screens.

I would be interested to see if VHI offer different comparisons but I doubt it.

Quinn's policy includes money back towards doctor visits etc so you would have to add on Health Stages with Vhi and day to day cover with Hibernian so not direct comparison.

Again Hibernian offer more hospitals and treatment centres, better maternity benefit, same nursing care, Hibernian have more scan facilities, hibernian better a&e abroad, Quinn have lower outpatient excess than Hibernian, Hibernian have extra lifestyle benefits compared to Quinn, neither day to day/health stages/ money back portions have excesses on the policies or only €1.

So Quinn or Hibernian I guess but reduce your cover you don't need it. Put the savings into a pension !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

broker2008, thankyou for all the advice. I think I am clearer now. Am I correct in saying that if I change from Qiunn Essential plan to Hibernian equalivant plan I would be getting better value? I don't think VHI are in the running at all as it seems dearer for less.

We are a healthy family with only 1-2 doctor visits per year and possibly 1 consultants fee and touch wood no hoispital visits. I have no opinion regarding hospitals as I do not know much about them so I have no preferance. I would not imagine the need for private care in a hospital and would be happy with semi private. Regarding your question about how I feel about private hospitals....great if it means no waiting list but surely if you are really ill you get immediate attention through the public system??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

If you're on Quinn's Essential plan, then these are similar schemes you can look at:

CompanyHealth and Essential Starter from Quinn Healthcare
    Level 1 from Hibernian (Me Plan, I Plan, We Plan and Total Life Plan)
    Plan A and Plan A Options from VHI

I used to work for BUPA, and my brothers and sisters still get me to look at their health insurance every year. My eldest brother and his family (wife and 3 kids), were all on Essential and asked me to look around. At the time (September), Essential Starter was the best price and fairly similar but not identical to what he had. The best part for him was he was done in one phone call to make the change.

Just to be clear, I picked Essential Starter for him because it was the best suited, not out of loyalty or such like. My own health insurance is with Hibernian, so if someone else was better for him I'd have told him to move.

That was my experience so I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the answers which are very helpful, as I am only 34, I think I am going to downgrade my policy from VHI plan E, all of the above has been very helpful, I did call VHI today to go through the various plans, was told that maybe in some health issues I could still end up being sent somewhere like the Blackrock clinic and as such under Plan B would not be covered which while not a worry now maybe in years to come it might. However told that I can upgrade later though for the first two years if ugraded would not be covered by the higher plan.

okgirl wrote: »
    broker2008, thankyou for all the advice. I think I am clearer now. Am I correct in saying that if I change from Qiunn Essential plan to Hibernian equalivant plan I would be getting better value? I don't think VHI are in the running at all as it seems dearer for less.

We are a healthy family with only 1-2 doctor visits per year and possibly 1 consultants fee and touch wood no hoispital visits. I have no opinion regarding hospitals as I do not know much about them so I have no preferance. I would not imagine the need for private care in a hospital and would be happy with semi private. Regarding your question about how I feel about private hospitals....great if it means no waiting list but surely if you are really ill you get immediate attention through the public system??

Don't think there is a huge difference in price between Quinn and Hibernian. Personally I'm a semi private in a private hospital fan.

Thanks for all the answers which are very helpful, as I am only 34, I think I am going to downgrade my policy from VHI plan E, all of the above has been very helpful, I did call VHI today to go through the various plans, was told that maybe in some health issues I could still end up being sent somewhere like the Blackrock clinic and as such under Plan B would not be covered which while not a worry now maybe in years to come it might. However told that I can upgrade later though for the first two years if ugraded would not be covered by the higher plan.

Plan B/Level 2 does cover Blackrock for day case procedures and provides cover for most (listed anyhow) cardiac procedures. I still want to have access to the so called high tech hospitals in some form or another and that is the drawback of many of VHIs new plans where they deny a lot of access. For stuff like gallstones removal etc, Vincents Private, Bon Secours, Hermitage,Mount Carmel are fine for me. Depends where you live as well.

broker2008 wrote: »
    Plan B/Level 2 does cover Blackrock for day case procedures and provides cover for most (listed anyhow) cardiac procedures. I still want to have access to the so called high tech hospitals in some form or another and that is the drawback of many of VHIs new plans where they deny a lot of access. For stuff like gallstones removal etc, Vincents Private, Bon Secours, Hermitage,Mount Carmel are fine for me. Depends where you live as well.

Am in Dublin, think the girl said that on VHI Plan B as you mentioned day cover is availabe at the High Tech hospitals and that they will cover 90% of the costs in these hospitals for most Cardiac treatments. Am going to call Hibernian based on your post that further saving available if I take plan B equiv out by the 30th.

Advertisement