Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter?

• 23-12-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Silly question, maybe, but if a recipe calls for butter, i can just lob in a dollop of Dairygold, right? The same measures apply, etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dear God no!! Those dairy spreads won't do at all, you need the likes of Kerrygold real butter.

For pastry you could substitute margarine though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, no, no! Like dizzyblonde said, you need real butter, not a spread. It should be in a block, not a tub. Spreadable butters have oils added to them that make them spreadable, which isn't appropriate for baking.

The biggest baking disaster I've ever come across was a friend making butter icing with Olivio spread. It was horrific!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Remember BlueBand! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The only thing you can use as a substitute for butter in baking is margarine. But even then it has to be something like Stork or Flora Original, nothing with added Omega 3 or whatnot. Usually it will say on the side of the pack whether you can use it for baking/cooking or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There is no substitute for butter.

You might use another solid fat (margarine, suet) but it is not the same. Plus, as the wise posters have said, using processed spreads is a complete no-no. They won't behave in the correct manner during cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The packets will often say if suitable for frying or baking. Even then I would stick with butter.

Many spreads are watered down, and have gelatine holding them together, so they are crap on toast, they just wet it, may as well put some butter on and run it under a tap! yet they still charge a lot for this watered down muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Planet X wrote: »

OMG had almost forgotten the stuff. Ugh, it was the most awful stuff on the planet!

Butter all the way OP. Anything less is sacrilege!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Oh blimey, good job I checked :) Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Butter is one of the greatest foodstuffs on the planet, and you want to use something else?:eek:;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A slice of bread, smothered with Blueband and covered with sugar. Yer only man! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A slice of bread, smothered with Blueband and covered with sugar. Yer only man! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Sweet jebus...I'm lost for words at the awfulness of it all!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

:eek::(

*faints with nausea.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What the hell is blue band?

'Twas minging margarine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Nothing beats real butter in baking! Just wondering though which is better for you in terms of fat content: butter or margarine?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i put whatever fake spready butter stuff we had in the fridge into yesterday's champ and it was delish

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

if I didn't have enough butter when baking,I might whack in a small bit of spread but certainly wouldn't replace butter with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

six of one, while butter contains proper saturated fats and cholesterol, marg has trans fatty acids which yer body's not a fan of. id roll with butter for toffee/caramel/shortbreads, and marg for stuff like cookies, cakes and pastry. just out of a price vs. how much of it you taste sorta thing.

Advertisement