Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guard dog not adequately restrained

Options
  • 23-12-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

A guard dog has appeared in the grounds of an office on my walking route in the past month or two.

He is a Mastiff of some type so is quite large and imposing.

He is behind a gate which is only 6 to 10 inches taller than he is and I reckon he could clear it no problem. Normally when I pass by with my dog he just walks along beside us and looks out with that inquisitive look that Mastiffs have and wags his tail.

Today though he was barking and snarling at us. I think if he took a mind to he would be over that gate and enjoying one of us for lunch in the blink of an eye. Also a child could easily reach over the gate and try to pet him.

Are there any standards set down for this type of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The Mastiffs I have had in rescue here (Bull, Neo, Old English and French) couldn't jump over a clothes hanger. They were not very agile dogs. Fence aggression can built up if the dog is not properly trained or has been teased over the fence. If you are conncerned then you need to speak with the owner of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Thanks for that EGAR. To be fair he doesnt look very agile but still......

He is a gorgeous dog in pristine condition and until now I thought he was more of a pet because he seemed so docile.

I do feel sorry for him though as he seems to be on his own a lot.

Maybe he is being teased through the fence. I'll keep an eye on the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

A quiet word to the guards wouldn't be out of the question. If he is in a position to bark at and frighten people in a public place he is in the wrong place.
    What happens if someone, nervous of dogs, darts out onto the road on encountering this beast?
    I have absolutely no time for people who employ unattended guard dogs to protect their property. Too much can go wrong and out of control too quickly without trained human control at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

doolox wrote: »
    A quiet word to the guards wouldn't be out of the question. If he is in a position to bark at and frighten people in a public place he is in the wrong place.
    What happens if someone, nervous of dogs, darts out onto the road on encountering this beast?
    I have absolutely no time for people who employ unattended guard dogs to protect their property. Too much can go wrong and out of control too quickly without trained human control at all times.

I'd be more worried about the dog tbh, And Egar is right-Mastiffs cant jump at all, apart from Rotty's which can jump very high and are a type of mastiff!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

cowzerp wrote: »
    apart from Rotty's which can jump very high and are a type of mastiff!

Ya learn something new everyday. I didn't know they were a type of mastiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

There believed to be descended from italian mastiffs! identical looking bar the tan colouring..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement