Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going silent...

Options
  • 23-12-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Currently fed-up with the noise of my self-build, so much so that I'm considering going to the dark-side and buying a mini-Mac for basic word processing and such.

Is there anyway I could build a fanless PC? I've come to the conclusion that I'd probably have to have a separate rig for gaming and I've yet to see any fanless high-end GPU.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could get something like a netbook and just hook it up to an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. Should be cheap and quiet yet still good for browsing, light usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

have you looked into water cooling atall ? ill never forget the look on a mates face when he put in water cooling into his machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Good cases remove the noise, check out the Antec P180/P182 or the Sonata III. They're pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Currently fed-up with the noise of my self-build, so much so that I'm considering going to the dark-side and buying a mini-Mac for basic word processing and such.

Is there anyway I could build a fanless PC? I've come to the conclusion that I'd probably have to have a separate rig for gaming and I've yet to see any fanless high-end GPU.

What case, power supply, cpu cooler, gfx card are you using? Are you using software or a hardware fan controler to control and throttle the speed of your fans?

My gaming rig is a q6600 (B3 stepping which runs very hot) with a radeon 4870 in an Antec P180, seasonic power supply,thermalright ultra extreme cpu cooler and all case fans replaced with scythe flex 120mm case fans.

At idle the PC makes about as much noise as a standard Dell office pc and I can use a hardware fan controler to crank up the fans for games, where you are not going to hear them over the noise coming out of my speakers/headset.

If you pick the right parts, noise is not much of an issue.

Advertisement