Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you splurge on?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

I was reading a blog post today and the author was saying she had to buy this $50 lip gloss. That seemed insane to me, but I know we all have things we wouldn't mind spending ludicrous amounts of cash on. For me it's lingerie. Shoes, purses, pc games, music, DVDs, jewelry; what is it for you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Books usually but lush stuff is starting to come in a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Books.
    Really can't get enough of them.

And tattoos.

USed to be guitar stuff but no longer need any new equipment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

shoes ie vans, converse and the likes <3

me + schuh = a big dent in my purse! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

New gadgets and my husband, the odd bit of sexy lingerie which i never wear...oh and books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Wow, lots of books people! I love them, too. I avoid buying them though, not sure why. Probably because I move around a lot and they aren't efficient for packing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I usually splurge all over YORE M<snip>

Edit: Sorry, wrong forum...

PillyPen wrote: »
    Wow, lots of books people! I love them, too. I avoid buying them though, not sure why. Probably because I move around a lot and they aren't efficient for packing.

Time to see about getting yourself a library card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Thaedydal wrote: »

Or an e-book reader.

orla wrote: »
    Or an e-book reader.

I do a lot of reading research wise on the pc but it is just not the same as curling up in bed with a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anything I like.. I spent quite a large sum on sunglasses once.. quite a large sum indeed :cool:

• Advertisement

I have one, of course! I'm a lit major so it's sort of a requirement. But there's something really gratifying about building a personal library, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

jewellery for piercings :pac:

(im refraining from making an obvious joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

new gadgets, make-up and shoes :D

I have one, of course! I'm a lit major so it's sort of a requirement. But there's something really gratifying about building a personal library, I think.

Yes, I so need to double my shelf space atm, too many books in boxes and presses.

Will wrote: »
    jewellery for piercings :pac:

(im refraining from making an obvious joke)

I thought the obvious joke would involve the word "spluge"? Or does "splurge" have two meanings in Ireland? Being a foreigner is so rough sometimes! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I thought the obvious joke would involve the word "spluge"? Or does "splurge" have two meanings in Ireland? Being a foreigner is so rough sometimes! :pac:

Splurge, splodge, splatch, the Irish will appropriate any word for their own interpretation, its what makes them so endearing and witty to listen to.

I splurge on shoes, books I never get the chance to read, I love electronic gadgets and recently have taken a liking to various models and brands of mp3/4 players.

I also use Interflora as a way of communicating apologies without having to say the words. I've used them a lot this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Handbags :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Fresh flowers. Just love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

mobile phones is my downfall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I used to be mad for books, CDs and DVD but lately I'm all about the library and borrowing stuff off friends, and downloading off the iTunes store and the like. I've gone a bit mad for perfume though, and I'll spend any amount on foundation because not having a face like an orange mask is worth any amount of money as far as I'm concerned. Plus I never know what colour to get so I need the advice that you get when you go to some fancy counter in Brown Thomas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

tattoos and clothes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Makeup and perfume. Complete perfume whore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Food.
    Nice restaurants and grocery shopping. I always try to get organic or local produce. I also try to eat as tasty as I can at the same time as being healthy.

Beauty treatments.
    There is nothing nicer than having someone put yummy smelling gook onto your face to soothing music and a neck massage.

My apartment.
    I live on my own so pay a bit more in rent than average Josephine, but it's well worth it. I love my privacy and own space.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Holidays are probably the only thing I could say I splurge on. I like my holidays, so I do. I buy books, CDs and DVDs so often that I don't think of it as splurging any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Every few months i'll buy a present - from me to me. Prints/paintings, a nice piece of jewellery, a fancy kitchen gadget....basically, i buy something that i'd love to receive as a gift.

A guilty splurge would be library fines - I have no excuse whatsover as the books could have been renewed online :o. DVD boxsets would be another treat.

Going out for fancy dinners is defo a splurge considering I have a kitchen and can cook - it leaves nothing but memories, but they're happy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

yeah I keep getting told that but I just can't face it.
    I love all my books, even the obscure ones I got given by distant and mildly senile relatives.

I hate giving books back to the library,I like picking up books when I can't sleep, reading a random chapter/article etc and then moving onto another one.
    I just know the minute I give a book back , I'll want to be reading it again.
    Browsing second hand bookshops is great fun, Galways has a fantastic old rambling one.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new electronic books where you download the titles onto a little computer thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Mobile phones, and clothes mainly! Nut the odd time i might go mad on spending money on my car aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Make up and all the paraphernalia that goes along with it!! Couldn't put cheap gunk on my face at all!!

I will splash out on my clothes too sometimes, like on nice tops or dresses that look nice, original or unusual. I wouldn't splurge on a regular pair of blue jeans or a black pair of work trousers, for example.

I would splurge on food too, ie: free range/organic as opposed to store's own brands or the like.

I hate spending alot of money on books when you can pay a lot less on say, amazon.com for them if you don't mind waiting for them, which I don't. Or better yet, get them free from the library!!

I NEVER buy magazines, instead I read them in the starbucks in Borders in Blanchardstown, or in the gym/after my roomies are finished with them.

I don't smoke, and recently gave up the drink because I would never have splurged on anything, but would go out twice a week. I soon realised that was a gigantic waste of money and in the first two months of not drinking I had enough money left over to buy a GPS, a bike, a new DKNY purse and bag and two new outfits!! And I dont drink alot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Sneaker's, cloths, music games, books......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Clothes.

Advertisement