Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you splurge on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Sneaker's, cloths, music games, books......

Like just ordinary dish cloths? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've often said, if I ever win the lottery I'll just turn over my share to the following:

- Canon (Cameras)
    - Le Creuset (Kitchen ware)
    - Benefit Cosmetics
    - The North Face
    - DVDs and boxsets
    - Plane Tickets

However, until I get a job again I'm not really splurging. (Books don't count, I buy most of my books at the used book store anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Clothes for the child. Shoes for the child. Activities for the child. Childcare for the child. Petrol to cart the child around, etc etc.

You people are so lucky :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

embee wrote: »
    Clothes for the child. Shoes for the child. Activities for the child. Childcare for the child. Petrol to cart the child around, etc etc.

Yeah, but on the other hand she's a cute kid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I splurge on shoes

I know a guy like that.

He's a foot-fetishist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Sounds to me like your child is so lucky! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

flights :rolleyes:

usually cds, i do download some stuff, but usually prefer to get the proper cd, and curl up and listen to it and read the booklet and stuff :)

also gigs. and boozamohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Holidays at the moment. I also love designer clothes/accessories.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

FruitLover wrote: »
    I know a guy like that.

He's a foot-fetishist.

FruitLover infracted. I let the first one go earlier, but I can't ignore a second comment like that. We've put a lot of work into eliminating sleazy comments like that around here, so if you can't behave yourself the next time you'll be taking a little time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Xiney wrote: »

Want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

elizabeth arden 8 hour cream, shoes blanik, uggs handbags, total chanel and louis vuitton slave
    the kids.. 14 year old has a juicy couture handbag for xmas, as well as a lot more.. (start them young)

get a lot of things on ebay, (not the shoes and handbags dont do fakes)
    or in london, totally refuse too pay irish prices even more so now the euro is nearly the same value as the pound, the savings on clothes !!
    plus living in galway i dont find the choice fantastic.
    but splurge must happen within everyones budget, you cant spend a life saving, the graves are full of regrets!!

oh and holidays.. 2009 cuba or milan, not sure yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Xiney wrote: »
    I've often said, if I ever win the lottery I'll just turn over my share to the following:

In all the colours, I'd line the kitchen walls with shelves and display them. Then, depending on what mood i'm in ("today i'm feeling...orange") I'd pick which set to use.

*happy daydreaming*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Zaph wrote: »
    Yeah, but on the other hand she's a cute kid. :)

She sure is. She has me driven demented asking about Santy. That isn't cute when you're asked the same question 100 times in a day :(
    PillyPen wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your child is so lucky! :pac:

lol, she's not really... she doesn't get spoiled, her clothes are cheapo stuff from Penneys and Dunnes, activities are just trips to open farms, indoor kids playcentres etc. Childcare is mad money anywhere in the country.

I was just trying to illustrate that I'm extremely poor :(

Not to worry though - I <3 Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

She doesn't get spoiled, her clothes are cheapo stuff from Penneys and Dunnes, a

Nothing wrong with that now.

I'm a grown up with a real job (:pac:)and I still get all my clothes from Pennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Books! I have spent over €2500 here. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

elizabeth arden 8 hour cream, shoes blanik, uggs handbags, total chanel and louis vuitton slave
    the kids.. 14 year old has a juicy couture handbag for xmas, as well as a lot more.. (start them young)

get a lot of things on ebay, (not the shoes and handbags dont do fakes)
    or in london, totally refuse too pay irish prices even more so now the euro is nearly the same value as the pound, the savings on clothes !!
    plus living in galway i dont find the choice fantastic.
    but splurge must happen within everyones budget, you cant spend a life saving, the graves are full of regrets!!

oh and holidays.. 2009 cuba or milan, not sure yet

what do you mean by 'start them young'. Start an obsession with designer labels?

My biggest splurge is probably bags, i am partial to the odd fendi/mark jacobs/louis vuitton.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

computer bits and bob's hunting is my passtime i like the best it can be costly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

surviving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I used to spend 100's on makeup. Mainly benefit stuff etc but I've cut that down lately.

Lush is one of those places where I can't walk by without going in and getting something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

orla wrote: »
    I used to spend 100's on makeup. Mainly benefit stuff etc but I've cut that down lately.

Lush is one of those places where I can't walk by without going in and getting something.

just make shore you get rid of the cabagey smell:P:D

dont you just hate that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone have any thoughts on the new electronic books where you download the titles onto a little computer thingy?

I use one in work, that we have a pile of manuals/tech docs on and it's amazing, I cannot bear reading manuals and stuff on a pc/laptop but the ereader that we have has different lighting and it "feels" like you are reading a book once you get used to it.

Am considering buying one for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

just make shore you get rid of the cabagey smell:P:D

dont you just hate that :eek:

eh what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

Badges! I gave myself a sausage dog badge for christmas:D

Oh and for all the book people-bookmooch.com is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭trout

Ah yes ... I splurge on books ... lots and lots of books ... dry technical books for work, and old skool comics, science fiction, fantasy, physics, popular science and economics (don't ask) for home.

This is followed closely by an irrational desire to own modern gadgets and many examples of retro computers and consoes.
    Who needs 6 Dreamcasts ? I do ... apparently.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

YSL mascara at 30 a pop. :o screw it, i love it.

oh and books. and yankee fricking candle smelly things.

and tshirts from topshop. if i like them i buy them in all available colours. :rolleyes:

maple wrote: »
    YSL mascara at 30 a pop. :o screw it, i love it.

oh and books. and yankee fricking candle smelly things.

and tshirts from topshop. if i like them i buy them in all available colours. :rolleyes:

I splurge on makeup, too. And while we're on that: Never, every buy Dior Show Blackout. Worst mascara I've ever tried and the most expensive. Grrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Gadgets and computer stuff

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

PillyPen wrote: »
    I splurge on makeup, too. And while we're on that: Never, every buy Dior Show Blackout. Worst mascara I've ever tried and the most expensive. Grrrrr.

really? duly noted. cheers for the tip!

oh i also use Clarins products like moisturiser and toner. but i don't think of it as a splurge tho, more a necessity. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

usually eating out which i'm desperately trying to cut down on as its such a waste of money. Its not that i'm too lazy to cook i actually like cooking its just i get sick of eating the same stuff and restaurants /take aways offer something different that i'd never be able to reproduce. Also when i'm away in college i'd never have all the ingredients you need to follow all these celebrity chef's recipe's. Does anyone else have this problem?

I also spend on clothes but not every week and i only buy reasonably priced clothes even then unless its a special occasion and i see something i really really love! For instance i often go into River Island to have a look around but have yet to buy anything in there as its ridiculously overpriced and the clothes are not good quality. 65 yoyo's for a t-shirt top with no sleeves that shrinks or the glitter falls off after one wash is not worth it.

I also go to the cinema/rent or buy dvd's quite often but i rationalise that its better than spending 5 times as much in a pub where the beer is imported piss and the price seems to get higher the more often you go to the bar /the more pissed you get

• Advertisement

maple wrote: »
    really? duly noted. cheers for the tip!

oh i also use Clarins products like moisturiser and toner. but i don't think of it as a splurge tho, more a necessity. :confused:

Anything to do with skincare is a necessity, imo. As long as it works.

Advertisement