Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fields of The Nephilim

• 23-12-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I first heard this great and very unique band back in 2004, and I have been obsessed with them ever since I first listened to 'The Nephilim' album from 1988. I have since heard their entire back catalogue (including 'Burning The Fields EP) which never ceases to impress and inspire me.

The long awaited 'Mourning Sun' album from 2005 was an excellent return to from, even if it was only Carl from the original lineup. It has some really great elements from Dawnrazor, a lot of parts that hark back to 'The Nephilim', and at least a few songs that remind me of the incredible 'Elizium' album. I hope to hear a new album next year hopefully.

So what do you think of this band and what is your favourite album?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Jaysus man....you're bringing me back to places I don't want to go!

Back in the dark ages (1993 - we're talking pre-mobile phones or even the friggin' internets) a roommate of mine was really into this band. We'd bring a cd into Fibbers during the week and get them to play Preacher Man, Laura, For Her Light, Moonchild and a few others. Can't remember any specific albums.....back in those days if you got the lend of a cd the first thing you'd do would be to make a tape of it....and not bother with writing up inlay cards or any of that bollox. You've made me root through my old stuff. Fibbers was some joint back then. Preacher Man is a proper choon....sounds great even now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Love these guys! Mourning Sun was indeed an awesome comeback. The Nephilim and Elizium are probably my two most played Nephilim albums. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Absolutely love them. I used to be into the whole Goth thing, and while there are some bands I would've listened to that I think are pretty dire now, Fields of the Nephilim endured my evolving tastes like no other band. Other bands I might listen to out of nostalgia of those days, but Nephilim still are a constant. There's nobody that sounds like them, they really hit on a unique sound, and there's never been a singer to ever come close to what Carl McCoy did, he's got an exceptional voice.

As far as favourite albums, I'd be very much torn between The Nephilim and Elizium. The latter was just a monolithic album, they always had a very progressive influence, but it really came through on Elizium, and songs like At The Gates Of Silent Misery were just epic. I love The Nephilim simply because it's got their most iconic songs I guess, Moonchild, The Watchman, and so on, just one amazing song after another.

Anyone else have the 2-Disc DVD they released a few years back? Basically a compilation of all the material they had on video, and I'd seriously recommend it.

Anyone else have the 2-Disc DVD they released a few years back? Basically a compilation of all the material they had on video, and I'd seriously recommend it.

Was only one disc i believe, if you once went under the name of Angelwhore, then you recommended it to me around 2003, and i've gotten it since.

Provided we're talking about Revelaions-Forever Remains-Visionary Heads.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Was only one disc i believe, if you once went under the name of Angelwhore, then you recommended it to me around 2003, and i've gotten it since.

Provided we're talking about Revelaions-Forever Remains-Visionary Heads.

Oh, was it one disk? I could've sworn it was two. Yeah, that's the one we're talking about alright.

• Advertisement

Oh, was it one disk? I could've sworn it was two. Yeah, that's the one we're talking about alright.

Yeah, sure it came in the plastiglass box. I got it for a steal in HMV at the time for €20. Bloody bargain! :D

Unless you got some deluxe version i'm unaware of ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Absolutely love them. I used to be into the whole Goth thing, and while there are some bands I would've listened to that I think are pretty dire now, Fields of the Nephilim endured my evolving tastes like no other band. Other bands I might listen to out of nostalgia of those days, but Nephilim still are a constant. There's nobody that sounds like them, they really hit on a unique sound, and there's never been a singer to ever come close to what Carl McCoy did, he's got an exceptional voice.

As far as favourite albums, I'd be very much torn between The Nephilim and Elizium. The latter was just a monolithic album, they always had a very progressive influence, but it really came through on Elizium, and songs like At The Gates Of Silent Misery were just epic. I love The Nephilim simply because it's got their most iconic songs I guess, Moonchild, The Watchman, and so on, just one amazing song after another.

Very true there is nobody that sounds like Carl. I think you mean 'At The Gates Of Silent Memory'. For me its an incredible song, and again nobody has ever come close to making such a stunning song, and nevermind the rest of the album which is also full of stunning songs. The dvd is awesome and it has two great concerts, and all those excellent and very imaginative music videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

the 2 disc cd was the album that was released before mourning sun, it wasnt actually meant to be released at all, it was something that the label made them put out.

i saw them twice this year in london, one night of old stuff and one night of new. still blew me away and i got to shake hands with the man himself afterwards.thats another story. i only wish i had seen the original line up and not FOTN Mk 2.

still, theyre easily one of my favourite bands. i havent got a favourite album but i love Zoon and Dawnrazor.ive even got a tattoo of one of the sigils. and the "Penetration" promo poster from 1996. yep. nerd.

I've had Zoon for about 2 years and haven't touched it, i'm half scared to. Worth the listen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

I've had Zoon for about 2 years and haven't touched it, i'm half scared to. Worth the listen?

ahh what a waste!!

of course it is! its completely different from the trad Neph stuff, alot more metally, industrially, heavier.funny enough, Behemoth did a cover of one of the tracks. Shine is probly my fave track on it along with pazuzu but i cant pick a fave. go for it!

and turn it up to 11.

• Advertisement

Its not bad (as in not that great), but for me it does have at least four excellent songs, Melt (The Catching Of The Butterfly), Shine, Zoon (Parts 1 & 2) (Saturation) & Zoon (Part 3) (Wake World). I much prefer 'Mourning Sun' over Zoon, but thats me.

Zoon is incredible. It's not Fields of the Nephilim, so don't expect anything like that, it's a completely different beast altogether. It's very Death Metal, and hugely influenced a lot of bands like Behemoth, Akercocke and so forth, so if you like those bands then it's definitely worth a listen.

Zoon is incredible. It's not Fields of the Nephilim, so don't expect anything like that, it's a completely different beast altogether. It's very Death Metal, and hugely influenced a lot of bands like Behemoth, Akercocke and so forth, so if you like those bands then it's definitely worth a listen.

It's definitely no Elizium, but it's a pretty decent album. I gave it a spin earlier. It's a slow starter to listen to from start to finish, but once it kicks in, it's pretty awesome.

Keep meaning to check out Akercocke, but that's another topic for another thread. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I thought I was the only one!

Loved them since I was barely a teenager, still have a hape of 12"s that I used to save up for in a box somewhere. Got a present of the entire back catalogue on CD last year and been re-living the amazingness since.

I'm over twice the age I was when I first heard them and I honestly think they get better with every listen.

Carl is a god.

Also a ride.

And as the above shows, I turn into a teenager again when I talk about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭violetdream

Zoon is amazing.....personally prefer it to fields stuff earlier....it just kicks ass....and no bags of flour!

If I was to pick about 15 songs that I absolutely love this would be it:

The Watchman
    And There Will Your Heart Be Also
    Reanimator
    At The Gates of Silent Memory
    Love Under Will
    The Sequel
    Endemonadia
    Sumerland
    Laura II
    For Her Light
    Paradise Regained
    Slowkill
    Last Exit For The Lost
    Wail of Sumer
    Vet For The Insane

and no bags of flour!

Hey, no knocking the cowboy style. It's hardly any more ridiculous than any other Goth Rock bands dressing up in victorian garb or such. Gotta appreciate it, even just for the fact that it's unique.

Hey, no knocking the cowboy style. It's hardly any more ridiculous than any other Goth Rock bands dressing up in victorian garb or such. Gotta appreciate it, even just for the fact that it's unique.

It is very unique, and Carl and the new band members still dress up in that 1870s western style.

I'd thought I'd suggust a few albums by bands that have a Nephilim sound, are very guitar driven, have great song structures, great vocals & stunning riffs.

Elusive - The Great Silence
    NFD - Dead Pool Rising
    Ahráyeph - Marooned on Samsara
    Opened Paradise - Occult
    Sons of Neverland - Soulkeeper (a bit of an imitator, but very enjoyable)
    Voices of Masada - Four Corners
    Adoration - Sleepwalking
    Nosferatu - Rise
    NFD - Deeprer Visions Mini Album
    Love Like Blood - An Irony of Fate

I'd tend to agree here, however there were some really terrible mullets in Nephilim that made Bono's one in 1985 look respectable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yeah I love the cowboy thing. Right down to the white tops and braces Carl would wear on stage, it was like off-duty-about-the-house-cowboy-in-the-evening look.

Nod's mullet was attrocious though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Count Orlok

Ha! Ha! The mulletts! I remember in Sounds or Melody Maker they used to have a pisstake every week called the Nod Corner where Nod would write a diary about life on the road with the Nephs, hillarious!!!

If ya like the Nephilim check out German Irish collaberation Garden of Delight (aka Lutherion) , the singer Artaud Seth is into all his Alister Crowley, Lovecraft, Summeria all that Nephilimesque stuff and they can sure whack out a goth and roll masterpiece. Check out the song Shared Creation, High Empress, The White Goddess...you get the picture. They did a song on the movie Saw 2 too but after more than 10 albums broke up on Halloween 2008....but well worth a listen for Nephilim fans!!!!

Advertisement