Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shops closing in mahon

Options
  • 23-12-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I heard that some of the majour chain stores are closing down in mahon point in cork! has anybody heard any of the names of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Cork Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Barratts shoes is not closing in Mahon point anyway. Its their flagship store and making good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I heard a rumour recently that Debenhams there is closing:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=288750

Oh hang on...that one is a few years old..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Ludo wrote: »
    I heard a rumour recently that Debenhams there is closing:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=288750

Oh hang on...that one is a few years old..

That thread has been around as long as mahon point....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

AND is still as valid, they are struggling to make the margins cover the costs of the location, tbh Mahon Point is a waste, it has such little diversity in shops it cannot be regarded as a one stop location for shopping, it lacks any major electrical or hardware, Mens fashions are mostly ignored and access is a disaster.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

In terms of hardware it has B&Q...how much bigger in terms of hardware can you get in Cork?:confused:

The shop I work in MP is up by over 20% on last year (not including a good December which will push it up a bit more) so will be staying put, haven't heard anything to the contrary for any of the shops and I do get to hear a lot of the gossip :D

taram wrote: »
    In terms of hardware it has B&Q...how much bigger in terms of hardware can you get in Cork?:confused:

The shop I work in MP is up by over 20% on last year (not including a good December which will push it up a bit more) so will be staying put, haven't heard anything to the contrary for any of the shops and I do get to hear a lot of the gossip :D

Mahon Point isn't the same as Mahon retail park, I know its only across the road but still the centre agents did a very bad job on tenants. My info comes form the upstairs backroom offices in Mahon Point and not one shop.

MC

Mahon Point isn't the same as Mahon retail park, I know its only across the road but still the centre agents did a very bad job on tenants. My info comes form the upstairs backroom offices in Mahon Point and not one shop.

MC
    I just figured they directly lifted it off the English model of having a retail park with tenants that need low value per metre floor space such as B&Q next to a shopping center, can't think of a single English example where the hardware shop was actually in or directly adjoining the cente.

Prob right, just don't like the setup either myself but its problems aside I hope it survives.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

They should improve the traffic there. A bus lane would be good idea and a green light for turning into the shopping centre from Mahon when the cars are coming out. A pedestrian bridge somewhere too might make it a bit more user friendly. The bus service is very good out there, if they could make that quicker by using a bus lane it might ease traffic a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

A bus lane would be good idea and a green light for turning into the shopping centre from Mahon when the cars are coming out.

While a lot of people may use the bus atm, I doubt a better bus service would make a big impact on an out-of-town shopping centre.

Changing the timing on the lights could help a bit though. Why isn't there a left filter for going into the shopping centre?

Why isn't there an exit directly onto the N25... Oh yeah the porblem was a certain city manager.... IIRC

Here for example:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=51.886256,-8.392525&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=51.88669,-8.395529&sspn=0.009231,0.027895&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

+1 for the left filter.

Also the road coming from Project Management to MP should be wider and let cars filter into the three lanes sooner - that would have a big impact.

Obeying the junction box at Jacobs Island would also help - one lane going over that bridge is regularly held up by folks blocking the junction box.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Why isn't there an exit directly onto the N25... Oh yeah the porblem was a certain city manager.... IIRC

Here for example:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=51.886256,-8.392525&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=51.88669,-8.395529&sspn=0.009231,0.027895&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Well apart from the cost of doing it for just the traffic going out of mahon point and through the tunnel, if they wanted it go go both ways there would of had to been a bridge built as well. Would have been ridiculous cost wise.

Exit only obviously and the developer will have to bear the cost, not the city.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

So does anybody actually have any info on shops closing down in MP?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

I heard rumours that the jean scene were going but that was around the time that sasha closed, haven't heard anymore about it.....everyone seems to think that barratts is closing down for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I dunno why Meteor dont move from Wilton and go to Mahon... The jean scene will not go, i worked in there at one stage and it was always busy, Bershka,The Jean Scene and Gasoline are the best clothing retailers in mahon point imo. have a look in mahon point on a sunday and you go 20secs without seeing one of those bags in someones hands!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I heard rumours that the jean scene were going but that was around the time that sasha closed, haven't heard anymore about it.....everyone seems to think that barratts is closing down for some reason

Maybe that's because Barratts are closing down in Wilton - they were having a closing down sale when i went there on Christmas Eve - couldn't believe it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Berty wrote: »
    Barratts shoes is not closing in Mahon point anyway. Its their flagship store and making good money.

They have a closing down sale on at the mo:confused:

jobucks wrote: »
    They have a closing down sale on at the mo:confused:

Read the thread, IN WILTON..

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ah jeez i never seen such a long ****ing queue of cars to get into a freaking shopping centre of all places. i only been there once and there was no queue. tried to go today and only a few cars going in at a time. probably taking spaces of people who just left?

towel401 wrote: »
    ah jeez i never seen such a long ****ing queue of cars to get into a freaking shopping centre of all places. i only been there once and there was no queue. tried to go today and only a few cars going in at a time. probably taking spaces of people who just left?
    Hehe should have seen it Saturday! Took my friend 15 mins to get from the frotn entrance to the road in her car :P

Adams is going, the parent company went into liquidation today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I heard zavvi and harvey norman are closing down.any truth to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Iharvey norman are closing down

i hope to God they are. no more of those annoying ads on the radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I heard zavvi and harvey norman are closing down.any truth to this?

None

Zavvi Maybe - up to the administrators

the Harvy thing is Bull - that came one of the from a statement that they regret coming to Ireland

From that some idiot found the words - "We're closing down" and its always from an industry source :P

source

BTW If you believe Harvys are pulling out, you deserve exploding diarrhoea

Butt... in hindsight wouldn't be surprised to see Carpet right (outdated) Pc World ( way too expensive ) or Tile World (always empty- but cool phil lynott mosaic) pulling out

........Purple monkey diswasher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Another thing aswell

Was anyone else in the retail park yesterday??

Every and I mean every parking space was taken at around 3pm

I can't even remember it being that busy back around summer 2007

If your bit of a car anorak like myself you really see some impressive cars out there too - its the only place you can park and have a reasonable distance to the next car so you see a lot of rare/expensive cars

I was parked next to an M3 yesterday - passed a 08' Boxter RS Spyder on the way out and saw a late 60's red Porsche 911 last tuesday

seen a few Mustangs around too old and new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think Barratts Shoes are pulling out of Ireland or reducing their presence as their Grafton Street and Ilac Centre stores in Dublin are also having closing down sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

thought Barretts are having "warehouse closing down sale" as opposed to their shop! Never like Mahon, retail park is too far away from the shopping centre, focused mainly on womens fashion and place is always roasting. Cinema is nice but hard to get out of quickly at night and also packed even for old films.

Advertisement