Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

after how many miles do break pads in a toyota corrolla verso need to be changed?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

After how many miles do break pads on a toyota corolla verso need to be changed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's not something that can be accurately predicted. It depends on many factors - driving style, condition of discs, quality of pads, etc.

Generally front pads will not last as long as rear ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Depends how it's driven but I'd say as a guide roughly 30-40k miles would need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depends entirely on how it's driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭wordcount

Tipsy mac nice thats great thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have seen pads last as much as 70,000 miles and as little as 15,000 miles, 40,000 would be a good ball park figure.

• Advertisement

Also bear in mind that automatics eat pads compared to manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Anan1 wrote: »
    Also bear in mind that automatics eat pads compared to manuals.
    Why is that?:confused:

The brakes get used a lot more on autos, as they don't generally have much in the way of engine braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Wen you hear the brakes squealing you know they need replacing soon! But normally they would last up to 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Squealing brakes are not necessarily an indication of wear - more likely an indication of usage: usually lots of city driving with low-speed non-aggressive braking, which is why squealing is more common in buses and taxis.

OP, there is no given mileage for changing brake pads, just check them regularly by observation through the wheel rims and change them when there is about 2-5 mm of friction material left on the brake shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Type 17 wrote: »
    Squealing brakes are not necessarily an indication of wear

Toyotas have a built-in device that squeals when the pad is low..........

crosstownk wrote: »

OK, on vehicles other than certain Toyotas, squealing brakes are not necessarily an indication of wear.

crosstownk wrote: »

Thats what i was talking about!! I'm not a total gobsh!te, i have a decent understanding in mechanics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

landyman wrote: »
    Thats what i was talking about!! I'm not a total gobsh!te, i worked in a mechanics for the last three summers and my da was a mechanic for years

My Da was a mainline engineer. Doesn't mean I know anything about 10KV substations.

I worked for a Publican for several summers when I was a pimple faced yoof. Doesn't mean I know anything about the trade in reality.

Volvo's also have 'squeelers' built in to their pads. My last rears needed doing at just under 20k, fronts have 30k on 'em now and started to squeel a couple of days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

why not take off the wheels and check how much is left on them instead of asking interweb randomers?

landyman wrote: »
    Thats what i was talking about!! I'm not a total gobsh!te, i have a decent understanding in mechanics

Well, you didn't specify that some manufacturers' pads have devices built into them, and some brakes just squeal, due to other factors...

Reading back on this thread, it's discussions/threads like this that discourage me from using the motors section of boards.ie - loads of posters seem to be more interested in being right/proving others wrong than they are in being sociable and helpful to others...

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    My Da was a mainline engineer. Doesn't mean I know anything about 10KV substations.

I worked for a Publican for several summers when I was a pimple faced yoof. Doesn't mean I know anything about the trade in reality.

Volvo's also have 'squeelers' built in to their pads. My last rears needed doing at just under 20k, fronts have 30k on 'em now and started to squeel a couple of days ago.

My granda was a mailine esb engineer too but i wouldnt know what a 10kv substation is..... I dont claim to know things that i dont know

Now cars are a different, iv been round land rovers, discos, mercs, corrolas, patrols, bluebirds (and yes it still works), plenty of things..... I had a mechanic tryin to tell me my engine was knackered cos the oil pressure light came on at idle, but i knew that it was no cause for concern on extra high milers......

In other words, i claim to have a more than a general laypersons knowledge on mechanics and cars. However i'm not in it 40 or 50 years, so if im not sure about advice i'm givin; a: i wont post it or b: or ill go along the lines 'i think its xyz but ask someone else' :-)

EDIT: Sorry, should hav specified; generally brakes squeek or whine when: a. The lining on the brake pad is worn down to the backing or to the warnin surface. B. When a stone or lump of grit gets caught between the disc and the sheild

Advertisement