Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any idea re trade in value?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for an idea of the trade-in value on my car - it's an 07 (old model) Mondeo, steel edition, diesel, with 60k kms (all open road - Cork/Dublin every weekend return journey)...........serviced by dealer when I bought it at 34k, by me at 52k............I've savage high mileage and have put 30k on it since end of March.............it's silver.........any other details, am happy to divulge, btw, it's a saloon...........

CJM.

alternatively if I keep it and just drive it until it dies, how much mileage would I expect to get out of it..............?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not trying to be smart here but check www.carzone.ie - you'll see a wide variation in prices. Pricing used vehicles at the moment is a bit like picking lottery numbers. A 2007 of any make/model is quite undesirable for any dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

If its a trade in i assume you would knock off a few thousand off what the dealers would be selling them at though, right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You can be assured, especially with a 07 old model Mondeo, it won't make economical sense to trade in. Keep it and get yours money's worth out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

was thinking that - even if I traded in, I'd probably be looking at putting 8-10k with it................my new question is, I know a toyota will go on for hundreds of thousands of miles, how far will a mondeo go???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

cjmcork wrote: »
    was thinking that - even if I traded in, I'd probably be looking at putting 8-10k with it................my new question is, I know a toyota will go on for hundreds of thousands of miles, how far will a mondeo go???

It's like everything, it depends on how you treat it. With plenty of service's and money put into it i can't see why you wouldn't get a 2-300,000 km's out of it.

And if your saying 8-10k to come up to a new Mondeo diesel i'd say it's wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

true true - I'd better learn to love it then...........that said, I SWORE I wouldn't waste money on cars anymore cos of the depreciation, etc, I just bore of them so quickly............oh God to have the lotto numbers (or date a car dealer!).

thanks for the responses all!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon it's worth around 12-14.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

cjmcork wrote: »

I don't think there is any great difference in how long a mondeo and Avensis will last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mondeos are well capable of high mileage.

60,000 km is only 37,000 miles and let's be honest 37k miles is SFA on a car that has been driven predominantly on Motorways.

If you keep doing that kind of driving you're doing at the moment it wouldn't be unreasoable to expect 200,000 miles(320,000 km) out of it, engines, gearboxes and clutches get practically no wear and tear when driven on motorways and it keeps the emissions down too.

In other words I'd say there is at least another 200,000 km and more likely another 260,000 km left in that engine.

The only thing that is known to go wrong on Mondeos is the injectors and they are expensive to fix(over a grand) but those engine would appear to be very reliable apart from that and besides at 60,000 km it is a long way away before you'll have to worry about it(around 150-160k km).

But you could just as easily get that with a Toyota as well - injectors are a noted weak spot on modern diesel engines. They seem to go on just about every make really.

The one difference between a Ford and a Toyota is the attitudes of the dealers when something goes wrong - Toyota's customer care is much better, then again neither is likely to go wrong and the Ford is far more satisfying to drive than the Toyota so it would be the Ford for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I know dealers are looking for up to 18k for similar cars, but they won't shift at that price.

I wouldn't pay anymore than €12k to a dealer for such a car in the current market. You'll note that is cheaper than anything on Carzone, but that's why those cars are still on Carzone as opposed to in someone's driveway.

Take a dealer's margin and you're looking at a trade in allowance of around 9k-10k. It would have been a lot more last year, but anyone giving 2008, never mind 2007 pre-order trade in values is looking for a hammering when their books are done for year end.

Keep it for the time being is what I'd do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I'd say you would get about €10K. On the plus side it's a recent year and a diesel; on the down side, the Mondeo has been updated since 2007 and the steel is a pretty basic model - there are many zetecs for sale. Mondeos are great cars and the depreciation is the only down side to them really (that and their ubiquity). It's best to buy a nearly new ex-fleet mondeo in sept/oct when the fleets change, rather than buying one new.

If you're looking to trade in, your best bet is to do so at a Ford dealership, some of which do other makes as well (finglas motors does saab as well) so you won't have to get another Ford if you don't want to.

Advertisement