Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help with my wireless disconnecting at random?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm connected to Eircom broadband . I've a netopia router box and then I connect to that via a small USB wireless card*. It intermittingly disconnects from the box. I've tried all the troubleshooters and I can't find anything. When I go into "view all available wireless networks" our Eircom one is there but it won't connect to it.

My brother uses his laptop too but it doesn't seem to matter wether he's connected or not as the problem happens at both occurances. Any suggestions ?
    There's another Desktop computer that is wired up into the Netopia box and the net works fine on that. This problem's been happening long before that other computer was wired up. So essentially, there's been absolutely no changes at all that I can think that has made this problem arise.

It's working now like but in a few hours it might go or it might stay working and then tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow evening it'll be gone. It's really sporadic, there doesn't seem to be any method to it turning off like.

*this:
    TERGUSB-N1_sm.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi, I'm connected to Eircom broadband . I've a netopia router box and then I connect to that via a small USB wireless card*. It intermittingly disconnects from the box. I've tried all the troubleshooters and I can't find anything. When I go into "view all available wireless networks" our Eircom one is there but it won't connect to it.

My brother uses his laptop too but it doesn't seem to matter wether he's connected or not as the problem happens at both occurances. Any suggestions ?
    There's another Desktop computer that is wired up into the Netopia box and the net works fine on that. This problem's been happening long before that other computer was wired up. So essentially, there's been absolutely no changes at all that I can think that has made this problem arise.

It's working now like but in a few hours it might go or it might stay working and then tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow evening it'll be gone. It's really sporadic, there doesn't seem to be any method to it turning off like.

*this:
    TERGUSB-N1_sm.jpg

If it's an Eircom provided router then it's on the default channel of 7, change this down to 1 or 12 to see if that avoids interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Thanks for the help. PLease don't flame but er, how do I change the channel ? I didn't know there was one :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks for the help. PLease don't flame but er, how do I change the channel ? I didn't know there was one :confused:

Log into the router at the default of 192.168.1.254. There'll be an option in it's wireless settings to choose a channel. The channels overlap slightly hence the need to avoid one far from the others to minimise interference. This doesn't mean the other channels are unoccupied though, so some experimentation may be needed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also are there any other wireless devices in the vicinity? Given that you mention that your Eircom one shows up - sort of suggest that there might also be other wireless networks arount too which might be clashing so definitely worth trying a channel change.

There is of course the possibility that your wireless card is not the greatest. You say that your brother connects too does he get cut off when you do also?

There is one other wireless device that shows up constantly with 2bars of green stuff . I'm assuming it's a neighbours.

Brother 1 connects to the Netopia box via his Laptop's wireless and Brother 2 is wired up with a cable to it.I'm inclined to think it's this little USB thing. It's a "3D Reach" thing from Netopia, I've a feeling it's that because usually when it goes there isn't even a green light on it and there is when it's connected. But, I still see my Eircom connection in the "Wireless Networks Available" window...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is one other wireless device that shows up constantly with 2bars of green stuff . I'm assuming it's a neighbours.

Brother 1 connects to the Netopia box via his Laptop's wireless and Brother 2 is wired up with a cable to it.I'm inclined to think it's this little USB thing. It's a "3D Reach" thing from Netopia, I've a feeling it's that because usually when it goes there isn't even a green light on it and there is when it's connected. But, I still see my Eircom connection in the "Wireless Networks Available" window...

You didn't say if the laptop loses the wireless connection at the same time as yourself? If it did it would suggest a broader problem such as the router or something in the area - if it is only yourself that disconnects that would suggest a problem with the wireless card you are using.

Have you checked to siee if there are any updated drivers for it?

No the laptop doesn't loose it's wireless when the desktop does...

I've not checked to update it. I'll try now actually

Advertisement