Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help! Another Heating problem!

Options
  • 23-12-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi All

We can't get our heating to come on:( We usually just use the +1hr button but the bolier just isn't firing up at all. Have searched on here and seen advice to turn black lever in the hot press to repressurise the system this brought it on for about 10 mins but then the whole thing switched itself off?

Its the Glow worm 18si model. Light is green as normal and reading 1.5

As you can imagine Christmas Eve is a nightmare to have no heating so if anyone out there has any ideas I would be really grateful!

Also if anyone knows of somebody mad enough to be interested in a nixer on Christmas eve!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Are you in the house less than a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

No we're here over 2 years.

Further update is that the control panel seems to be at fault? when it manages to come on within 2 mins there is a click from the control panel then the boiler stops... Aahh the frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

is the system holding pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

dubsgirl wrote: »
    No we're here over 2 years.

Further update is that the control panel seems to be at fault? when it manages to come on within 2 mins there is a click from the control panel then the boiler stops... Aahh the frustration!

This sounds like the same problem we had awhile back. I'm having trouble remembering all the details, but while it seemed like it was the boiler that was at fault, we learned from the gas man that what was causing it was a little switch on the back of a black box in the hot press. This little switch (I think it's called an actuator) controls the flow of hot water from the hot press to the radiators and it is possible that it can sometimes get "stuck". This causes the boiler, somehow, to fail to stay lit, as it were.

It's difficult because it's behind the box and you can't see it, but if you feel back there and fiddle with this switch, try to "unstick" it but leave it in its "natural" position. Sorry, but it's hard to describe in writing.

Then try the heating again.

EDIT: Just FYI - we also have the Glow worm 18si model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Sounds like a problem i had recently, the error meggage showed up and as the pressure reading was under 5 bar it meant i needed to re pressurise the system.

The solution was to have one person watch the pressure reading while the other opens the valve at the tank. You should be able to hear water flowing through. After a few seconds the readings on the boiler went up and you should then close the valve.The system was back to normal immediatly.

Glowworm 18si.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Thanks to you all we will be having a merry + warm Christmas!!:)

Really appreciate the replies more than you know. A mixture of doing all of the above worked!

Happy Christmas to you all...

Advertisement