Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring jim carey back as the riddler in the new batman movie

Options
  • 24-12-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Says it all really,we should bring back seeing as he was fantastic in batman forever,completly took the movie as his own,who else agree>>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I heard Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.
    Now that sounds like a good idea imo!

oh and nay to Jim Carey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

There is no room for a camp Jim Carey type Riddler in Chris Nolan's version of Gotham.

I'd like to see Casey Affleck take that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Def not Carey, his Riddler was too out there and happy crazy, not dark crazy.

Nolan's Gotham has complex characters, not fluffy costumed characters

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Much as I enjoyed Carrey's Riddler antics I don't really see him fitting in to the Nolan-batman universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

sexmag wrote: »
    Says it all really,we should bring back seeing as he was fantastic in batman forever,completly took the movie as his own,who else agree>>>

Reeeeeeeeeeeeee-heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-heeeeeeeeeeeee-heeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaly?

:D

+1 for the nays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

I read a while back that johnny depp was being considered i think that could work what about you guys

Depp would find it too easy to fall in to his usualy kooky role.

I like the Casey Affleck idea. The Riddler doesn't need to be jumpy and funny like previous incarnations. Affleck could pull it off.

If they do decide to use the Riddler I'd rather him not be kooky/zany, but rather more laid back and calculating in a Machiavellian kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I thought he was an awesome Riddler, tbh

He suited that Gotham. Not this one.

Same way as Michael Keaton couldn't reprise his role as Batman, he worked well in Burton's take on Batman, Nolan has a different take on characters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

if they brought back Carey as the Riddler I would buy a cinema ticket just so I could tear it up. I didn't like him as The Riddler, he was too camp. The Riddler needs to be insane, but not zany for Nolan's film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I think that Jim Carrey is a terrific actor, and I'd certainly say that he'd be more than capable of turning in a radically different performance as The Riddler. Honestly, there's nothing to say he'd play it exactly the same as he did in Batman Forever, and to suggest that's what would happen is really selling him short as an actor.

That said, I don't think he would be cast, and I haven't a bad word to say about Casey Affleck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pick a good actor who can play a part.

Don't pick an actor who you think is like the character. That's just stunt casting and it's not what Nolan has been about with his films.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Raekwon wrote: »
    There is no room for a camp Jim Carey type Riddler in Chris Nolan's version of Gotham.
    Personally i would not mind Carey returning at all, because no matter who is cast it wouldent be the same camp (as you put it) Riddler as like you say that wouldent be in keeping with the Gotham created by Nolan.

Jim is a good actor and could do the riddler whatever way Nolan asks him to imo not that i expect him to revise the role though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Rabies wrote: »
    Same way as Michael Keaton couldn't reprise his role as Batman, he worked well in Burton's take on Batman, Nolan has a different take on characters

Surely George Clooney would be able to stand in if Christian Bale ever pulls out though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Surely George Clooney would be able to stand in if Christian Bale ever pulls out though? :pac:

Im sure Paddy Power would give you sweet odd's on that happening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Venom wrote: »
    Im sure Paddy Power would give you sweet odd's on that happening :)

If Im in the bookies anytime soon I willl enquire...

I know a man who tried to bet that Obama would win the election then be assasinated and Biden complete the term-they wouldnt take his bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Him being my fave actor i really liked his role as The Riddler, and i'm quite sure he could easily pull off another type of role, the darker and more disturbing one needed for this generation of films. If he wasnt chosen for it, i'd like to see Casey Affleck or possibly Depp in the role yeah but i'm sure there are other young-ish actors that could pull it off really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No. Definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

the thing about jim is,he can delve deep into the psychi of any character,sure look a the number 23 and the whole set up to topsy crets,he pulled that off great so if your looking for a dark charcter to fit chris nolans new gothem and if chris needed him too,i would have no doubt that carey could pull it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Personally, I don't think Nolan will use The Riddler. A Nolan-universe Riddler would be too close in theme to Nolan Joker.

Bane FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Bring jim carey back as the riddler in the new batman movie
    mikemac wrote: »
    oh and nay to Jim Carey
    Raekwon wrote: »
    Rabies wrote: »
    Def not Carey, his Riddler was too out there and happy crazy, not dark crazy.
    The Bollox wrote: »
    if they brought back Carey as the Riddler I would buy a cinema ticket just so I could tear it up.
    Personally i would not mind Carey returning at all
    i would have no doubt that carey could pull it off

Who is this Jim 'Carey' I keep reading about? Good man? Solid actor? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I agree. A new version of Bane could be fantastic. Obviously they would need to change his look massively, but if they were to keep the fundamental essence of the character (that being someone who is able to compete at Batman's level both physically and mentally, and who is totally bent on destroying Batman), the viewer would be in for a treat.

For me, the essential essence of The Riddler is that he is a criminal genius who is more interested in committing crimes for the sheer joy of getting away with it (even when he leaves clues!) rather than any spending any spoils that he might pick up from the actual crime. Not bad, but not nearly as cool as Bane, in my book.

In neither Batman Begins or The Dark Knight did the villians really want Batman dead. They had other goals, and Batman was attempting to stop them. For Bane, Batman's death or defeat is the goal. It could be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

I'm sure that given his range, he'd be more than capable of portraying the Riddler in whatever manner the director required.

But IF they decide to use the Riddler in the next movie, I'm sure they'll go with a new actor instead. Why would Nolan pick an actor whos going to instantly remind people of the older Batman movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

New director, new format of film so it should be new actor playing the Riddler.

I hope it's not Eddie Murphy though! :eek: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/12/eddie-murphy-as.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just finished the Heart of Hush storyline in the comics.... The way Hush was handled there could work pretty well in the current films, would also be a good way to bring in Catwoman too.

Drop all the stuff with the plastic surgery though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pick a good actor who can play a part.

Don't pick an actor who you think is like the character. That's just stunt casting and it's not what Nolan has been about with his films.

Yep. I remember being shocked when I discovered that Heath Ledger had been cast as the Joker, at the time I actually believed that the creepy guy from Charlies Angels would have made a better Joker just because he already looks the part:p
    Nolan knows what he's doing, I have the utmost faith that he'll find someone to fit the role perfectly.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Who is this Jim 'Carey' I keep reading about? Good man? Solid actor? :confused:

Poor mans Jim Carrey.

Advertisement