Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conspiracy?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

dresden8 wrote: »
    As a mindset, it possibly relates to feeling powerless in your own life, and preferring to ascribe that to sinister outside forces
    Agreed Scofflaw.

These are probably the type of people who think that politicians bankers and developers have been stitching up the country for years and creaming a shed load of money off the top.

They also probably believe that the politicians are going to throw billions of taxpayers money at their banking and builder buddies.

Tinfoil hat wearing nut-jobs.

Well, the tinfoil is more on the people who believe that this is all that's been happening, that it represents a complete explanation for everything, and that it happens because mysterious and sinister forces have control of the levers of power.

It's a bit like when you realise the newly elected Town Council isn't going to do things your way, and tends to favour the interests of people who want to develop stuff (them) as opposed to those who want to preserve it (you) - you have two choices: recognise that other people elected a majority that you dislike, and continue to work for conservation under the new and more difficult conditions; or, decide that this is because the mass of local people have been brainwashed, and that you and the Council are now deadly enemies - you better watch your back, and any method of combating them is OK.

One of those responses is sane, one is not, but they are both based on recognition of the same facts. We all know FF love developers, and we all also know that the prevailing economic orthodoxy of the last couple of decades has favoured deregulation of the banking sector - the question is, do you see that as slightly grubby incompetence or sinister manipulativeness? The latter suggests tinfoil-protected reasoning...but far be it from me to point any fingers.

psychoanalytically,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Never trust anyone in power is a perfectly reasonable position to hold.

How so?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Seanies32 wrote: »
    How so?

Short answer before I go to work.

You can't trust people in power, full stop.

They get money from people to run their campaigns, so they owe them. If you believe that "no favours were asked for or given" line of crap then you're certifiably insane.

They're human. They see a chance for personal advancement, they'll take it.

They become bogged down in their own belief systems and fail to adjust to the world around them.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That's what elections are for, we're supposed to look at them critically, find out where their money is coming from, see how they're performing and who they're actually working for.

At the end of that process we're supposed to kick out the useless ones.

"He may be a crook, but at least he's our crook" is alive and well in Irish politics, to our eternal shame.

Short answer before I go to work.

You can't trust people in power, full stop.

They get money from people to run their campaigns, so they owe them. If you believe that "no favours were asked for or given" line of crap then you're certifiably insane.

They're human. They see a chance for personal advancement, they'll take it.

They become bogged down in their own belief systems and fail to adjust to the world around them.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That's what elections are for, we're supposed to look at them critically, find out where their money is coming from, see how they're performing and who they're actually working for.

At the end of that process we're supposed to kick out the useless ones.

"He may be a crook, but at least he's our crook" is alive and well in Irish politics, to our eternal shame.

I suppose you've a point to an extent.

I'd also apply that logic to Trade Unions, Management, Business etc.

Indeed, it would apply to Coir, Libertas and any of the organisations campaigning for a No vote. There's something in it for them.

But then I'm cynical of any power!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    I suppose you've a point to an extent.

I'd also apply that logic to Trade Unions, Management, Business etc.

Indeed, it would apply to Coir, Libertas and any of the organisations campaigning for a No vote. There's something in it for them.

But then I'm cynical of any power!

I don't think anyone on these forums would argue that you should unreservedly trust politicians! However, the unreserved suspicion indulged in at the other end of the spectrum is equally silly.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I don't think anyone on these forums would argue that you should unreservedly trust politicians! However, the unreserved suspicion indulged in at the other end of the spectrum is equally silly.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Indeed the cynicism should be applied all round.

Unhealthy cynicism gets us nowhere either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

EU has become a conspiracy. The proof to me is a second Lisbon.

It was all planned years ago. I'm all pro Europe. But's is becoming united dumbdown states of Europe. If we foolishly vote yes, after been disrespected by the people we put in power to respresent us, and not them, then you could well say its' proper order conspiracy right at this point.

It's about absaloute power. The powers of be, are not following the goals of the original plan for Europe. Europe was brought togehter, economically, socially and other such reasons to bring the continent together after the war. Now it's becoming like Europe is the beast. Europe is not in good hands.

Take what you like of what I said. Not many people have a thing called "logic" and "intution" and using both to come to the conclusion of the actual reality in front of you. It's clear to me, that Europe is going to become a stupid continent like America in 10 year's if we don't soon wake up.

mysterious wrote: »
    EU has become a conspiracy. The proof to me is a second Lisbon.

It was all planned years ago. I'm all pro Europe. But's is becoming united dumbdown states of Europe. If we foolishly vote yes, after been disrespected by the people we put in power to respresent us, and not them, then you could well say its' proper order conspiracy right at this point.

It's about absaloute power. The powers of be, are not following the goals of the original plan for Europe. Europe was brought togehter, economically, socially and other such reasons to bring the continent together after the war. Now it's becoming like Europe is the beast. Europe is not in good hands.

Take what you like of what I said. Not many people have a thing called "logic" and "intution" and using both to come to the conclusion of the actual reality in front of you. It's clear to me, that Europe is going to become a stupid continent like America in 10 year's if we don't soon wake up.

Perhaps 10 years is a little optimistic.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Perhaps 10 years is a little optimistic.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Well I woke up.

10 years for others.

The retarded wil not wake up, cus it will be too late. You will have signed so much laws, and so much treaties you will have no limb to depend on...once absaloute power happens. People better start becoming aware of the true nature of these events.

I posted on of the most facinating post on here, but it was removed i hit the back button., to much info to the real going on's in todays world. But ahwell leave it to another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

What 10 years? It's been the plan for a united states of Europe since 1954..
    The single currency was nothing more than a social experiment to get differing soverign populations feeling more european with a single currency, there was never a necessity for it :) .
    the only hurdle they have really come across is that they didn't allow enough time for people to "adjust", and seem to have rushed it, most prominetly by France. Add to this the economic downturn, and the enevitable nationalistic approaches that will be adopted by sovereign states as recession de-stabilises the ECB's one policy fit's all approach. Prior to all of this the only concern they had was how to get a yes vote through on a second referendum in Ireland.
    Debating this issue will pall to insignifigance considering the trouble ahead for Germany's plans for a superstate. No doubt it will be set back, but won't ever go off the table...

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thread closed. Whatever its original intentions, it's an inevitable magnet for the CT nutbars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement