Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi with UTV Internet

Options
  • 24-12-2008 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm visiting Dublin from the States and trying to get a wireless router set up with my father's BT Voyager 210 ADSL Router. The ISP is ostensibly NewTel, but the real work seems to be done by UTV Internet.

I've tried setting up two different wireless routers. The D-Link DI-524 sort of works, but lots of things are unreliable: I can't maintain a consistent connection to Gmail, for example, and couldn't upload via FTP. The TP-Link TL-WR624G simply can't connect to the Internet at all. If I directly connect to the ADSL router, everything works fine.

Here's the summary page:

Internet (WAN) Configuration:
    VPI / VCI 8 / 35
    Connection Type PPPoE LLC/SNAP, Always On
    NAT Enabled
    WAN IP Address Automatically Assigned
    Default Gateway Automatically Assigned
    DNS Server Automatically Assigned

LAN Configuration:
    Primary LAN IP 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0
    Secondary LAN IP 0.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.255
    DHCP Server On 192.168.1.2 ~ 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Lease Time 1 days 0 hours 0 minutes

One of the pages in the Quick Setup wizard says
    Broadband User Name: cs123456@adsl.utvinternet.ie
    Password: ********

I suspect that I need to set the ADSL box to do some kind of bridging thing and configure the Wireless router to do the PPPoE, but I need the password in that case and my father has no clue what that is.

Does UTV/NewTel even "allow" you to attach a wireless router? Would I be wasting my time trying to reach their tech support during business hours on Christmas Eve?

Thoroughly fed up in Dartry...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

AS a good friend of mine reminds me...keep it simple stupid (KISS).. Why do you want a wireless router and an adsl router working tohether...What are you trying to do? If its just for wi fi..get your self an access point or adsl router with built in wi fi...
    or are you trying to extend range...?

Advertisement