Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fry-up in Dublin

Options
  • 24-12-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be spending a couple of weeks in Dublin at the beginning of February. Although I am a native Dubliner, I haven't spent much time in the city in recent years, so I'm a little out of touch with the best locations for a good fry-up.

I'd welcome the board's views.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 zico77

"matt the rashers":D:D its in kimmage across the road from superuinn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

zico77 wrote: »
    "matt the rashers":D:D its in kimmage across the road from superuinn

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Brahams in Marino Mart, D3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Hobart's - Ranelagh or There's also a small Diner across from the Matter that had nice food last time I was there!

Gerard's on the end of Lower Leeson street is phonomenal! Pretty pricey, but worth every penney! They butter the bread with pudding!! I'm starving thinking about them!

Rick's on the corner of George & Dame street apparently has amazing breakfast rolls, although I've never tried them..

For the Best ever home made fry up, go with either Superquinn, especially for sausages! Tesco's Finest is pretty tastey too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Here's a fantastic place for you, James St, there's a tiny little place called The Royal Kitchen... €8.50 gets you a fry falling off your plate - 2 sausages, 2 rashers, 2 eggs, pudding, toast, beans, mushrooms, chips, a big pot of tea and a glass of orange juice.

Well worth a checking out. Getting hungry now thinking about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Brendan's Coffee Shop on Mary Lane - small, medium and large breakfasts. Don't go for the large unless you're really hungry! I usually go for the 'medium' which is larger than the 'full Irish' you'll get in more salubrious surroundings. If you're up and about early, it's ideal as it opens at 6am.

(Mary's lane is off Capel Street beside the DCC Fruit and Vegetable Market).

MarysLaneBrendansCoffeeShop-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Cafe sofia on Camden street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

if you're out Swords way check out the Applewood cafe, best cafe I've been in in a long time, their breakfasts or breakfast baps are fantastic! Haven't been able to have one the last two months though, overdid it so on an enforced choestrol free diet for 12 weeks dammit! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

+1 yum yum :rolleyes:

http://www.ratemyarea.com/places/cafe-sofia-17478

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

Hi, The Court in Blessington has a savage fry up. The builder's breakfast is what you would expect, chips, lamb chop and then all the typical pig bits. Might be a bit of a trek from town though. We used to go there the odd saturday morning after training and glaze all our hard work from that morning!:o They also give you as much tea or coffee as you wish but i suppose you only will want one mug and leave half the second!. Actually not sure if they give you the lamb chop anymore? but i havent been there in two years.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Thank you all for your views. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I had a terrific fry up today in The Temple on Dorset Street.
    Also a nice cafe on Nrt Frederick St called lovinspoon does a nice fry up which includes fried egg sered on pancake (nyom nyom)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

Wez wrote: »
    Hobart's - Ranelagh
    I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

another for matt the rashers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Wez wrote: »
    Hobart's - Ranelagh

Yum. :pac:

I checked with them today - they will be open on New Years Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

+1

Also the barnefau house (can't remember how its spelt) in rathcoole is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

The Pantry on O'Connell St (or is it Talbot St) is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I like the "Big Breakfast" in the Cafe Kylemore in the St. Stephen's Green Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a small shop, with a yellow front on Townsend Street, to the North of Trinity College. Does a lovely breakfast roll. Cooked there and then, so ensure you have 5 or 10 minutes. Food is top notch. See picture for details.

• Advertisement

Gallaghers Boxty House in Temple Bar - YUM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

KC61 wrote: »
    I like the "Big Breakfast" in the Cafe Kylemore in the St. Stephen's Green Centre.
    Eh, no.

Was there yesterday with Mrs.DW as Cafe Sofia is still closed for the holidays.

I can't stand cafès that use a Bains-en-Marie and big lights to keep stuff 'hot', all it does is manage to dry items out and leave them at best, lukewarm.

Worse than that is the chance interfacing with the homeless and mentally-ill in the shared seating area of the food hall in the St.Stephen's Green Centre. Yesterday, we had to put up with a guy who was the double of 'Big Ron', the late-extra from Eastenders, who insisted on taking out a battery powered radio, putting it on his table and listening to loud music. Happy with this, he then proceeded to shout out random items of cutlery to the bemused Lithuanian who was bussing tables nearby....FORK! FORK! SPOON! KNIFE!...you get the picture.

If that wasn't bad enough, some random bag lady proceeded to sit next to us and take out and unfold and fold pieces of tissue paper from various bags she was carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I had a delicious big fry from Italian Connection on Talbot St yesterday, it's bout halfway between the rail bridge and the Spire. Mmmm delicious :)

Worse than that is the chance interfacing with the homeless and mentally-ill in the shared seating area of the food hall in the St.Stephen's Green Centre.

Jeeze, you should probably stay at home if you don't like seeing homeless people and mentally ill people trying to get some breakfast. Flippin Nora.....

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Brendan's Coffee Shop on Mary Lane - small, medium and large breakfasts. Don't go for the large unless you're really hungry! I usually go for the 'medium' which is larger than the 'full Irish' you'll get in more salubrious surroundings. If you're up and about early, it's ideal as it opens at 6am.

(Mary's lane is off Capel Street beside the DCC Fruit and Vegetable Market).

Seconded.

Thought it opened at 5am. Maybe it used to back in the day - dunno.

Many a Friday/Saturday night ended there. Sometimes continued afterwards in Slattery's...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

You have to go to new cafe in blackrock arcoss from the church on temple road! its amazing!!! "the morning after " breakfast is SO good and the staff are so nice and they make there own fresh Doorstep bread in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

KC61 wrote: »

Horrible place. Horrible food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

dancor wrote: »
    Also a nice cafe on Nrt Frederick St called lovinspoon does a nice fry up which includes fried egg sered on pancake (nyom nyom)

I regularly get coffee in her they do the best coffee in Dublin IMO.I have never had any grub in here but it always has a good crowed so it must be nice,I must make time and try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

Gerry's. Tis on the street that links Harcourt and Wexford St.

It's like being in a big country kitchen. No airs and graces, but a damn fine feed. I think for €8 you get 4 rashers, 4 sausages, 3 pudding, 2 eggs, beans, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, and all the tea and toast you can eat. Service is great, and they have it out to you in under 5 mins.

Om nyom nyom nyom!

• Advertisement

Gerry's. Tis on the street that links Harcourt and Wexford St.

It's like being in a big country kitchen. No airs and graces, but a damn fine feed. I think for €8 you get 4 rashers, 4 sausages, 3 pudding, 2 eggs, beans, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, and all the tea and toast you can eat. Service is great, and they have it out to you in under 5 mins.

Om nyom nyom nyom!

I worked in that area for a long time and would have passed that junction every day, never ever noticed that place, sounds great!

Advertisement