Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fry-up in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Has to be Sheries for me

Almost opposite the abbey street luas stop but a little more towards o connell street.

mmmmmm

(I think I need a fry now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

zico77 wrote: »
    "matt the rashers":D:D its in kimmage across the road from superuinn

-1, monto beside the stoneboat is better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry, not in city centre (or city for that matter) but if you're ever passing through dunshaughlin, don't pass fidelma's on the main street without going in and helping yourself to a large breakfast. without a doubt the bestist, biggest, cheapest breakfast you'll ever have and the staff are always very friendly too.

(not open sundays unfortunately :()

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gerry's. Tis on the street that links Harcourt and Wexford St.

Montague Lane.;) Always looked packed, might have a pop down one of these days heard great things about Gerry's and Cafe Sofia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

Montague Lane.;) Always looked packed, might have a pop down one of these days heard great things about Gerry's and Cafe Sofia.

That's the one. Defo pop in. They do great lunchtime specials as well for like €6. had a delish bowl of Spag Bol there last week.

• Advertisement

That's the one. Defo pop in. They do great lunchtime specials as well for like €6. had a delish bowl of Spag Bol there last week.

Ye lunch sounds more like the time of day for me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Yesterday, we had to put up with a guy who was the double of 'Big Ron', the late-extra from Eastenders, who insisted on taking out a battery powered radio,

OT but nice to see Big Ron get a mention. He used to be a regular in the bar I worked in, in Edgware Middlesex back in the eighties. Diamond geezer he wuz too mate..

Back on topic "The Woodstock" at Doyles corner in Phibsboro does a good fry . Good frys are not that hard to find in Dublin tbh. Ye don't have to be Gordon Ramsay to cook rashers and sausages now do you..? :)

Good frys are not that hard to find in Dublin tbh. Ye don't have to be Gordon Ramsay to cook rashers and sausages now do you..? :)

Depends what way you like your fry, some heated crap from under a light or some nicely freshly cooked food.;)

Depends what way you like your fry, some heated crap from under a light or some nicely freshly cooked food.;)

In that case I'd definitely recommend The Woodstock Phibsboro, conveniently located in the shadow of Dalymount, home of the best football team in Dublin:D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

OT but nice to see Big Ron get a mention. He used to be a regular in the bar I worked in, in Edgware Middlesex back in the eighties. Diamond geezer he wuz too mate..

Back on topic "The Woodstock" at Doyles corner in Phibsboro does a good fry . Good frys are not that hard to find in Dublin tbh. Ye don't have to be Gordon Ramsay to cook rashers and sausages now do you..? :)

Speaking of Ron's, pity He's gone from the corner of Hollybrook rd and the Clontarf rd.. Legendary Fry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Seconded.

Thought it opened at 5am. Maybe it used to back in the day - dunno.

Many a Friday/Saturday night ended there. Sometimes continued afterwards in Slattery's...
    Yes, you're probably right (as the market opens at 5am). It's usually after 6 before I manage to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Work in the area myself, and am partial to some Woodstock grub! Having said that though, its generally best if you get in early in the mornings.

Their downfall is that their food is all pre-cooked and left sitting in big metal trays on a buffet-style 'hot counter'. I much prefer ordering food and then having it cooked. Don't mind waiting 10 minutes if its gonna be that bit fresher & nicer!

There's a place called 'Brew' in Glasnevin (Across the road from the MET Office) and they do nice food. I have only been there once or twice and unfortunatly they don't seem to open on weekends anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sorry to go completely off topic, but did people come up to him and do his classic line as Mr.Knuckles from Five Go Mad in Dorset? - "blah...blah...blah...secret plans...blah...blah...blah...nuclear weapons"

Sorry to go completely off topic, but did people come up to him and do his classic line as Mr.Knuckles from Five Go Mad in Dorset? - "blah...blah...blah...secret plans...blah...blah...blah...nuclear weapons"

I'm talking about 1986 here..Eastenders was only on our TVs about a year so Ron was relatively unknown..he probably hadn't played Mr Knuckes at that stage. The pub was The White Lion on Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgware ...anyone know it ??
    There's a place called 'Brew' in Glasnevin (Across the road from the MET Office) and they do nice food. I have only been there once or twice and unfortunatly they don't seem to open on weekends anymore!

Don't open anytime Stevie, it closed down about a month ago..best in that neck of the woods is the restauraunnt in the Bots, bit pricey at €10 but it's an oasis of tranquility in the hustle and bustle of the city. (look at me gettin all poetic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moscow 08

Brams - Marino Mart is top notch if i do say so myself!! Great the morning after the night before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Theres a place in Malahide, real haven from the boutique shops and the starbucks! Cant remember the name of it but its in one of the units underneath the supervalue- really tasty hearty brekkie...hmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Cafe sofia on Camden street
    That place is terrible. Their student brekfast costs €6 and you get an tiny egg, about 4 chips, toast, two cocktail sausages, two rashers and maybe some beans.

It's not worth the money at all.

You're better off going to the canteen in DIT on Kevin St. The breakfast in there is delish, and it's not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm talking about 1986 here..Eastenders was only on our TVs about a year so Ron was relatively unknown..he probably hadn't played Mr Knuckes at that stage.
    He played Mr.Knickles in 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Plenty of food for thought here:)

(As the person who started this, I am very grateful for the suggestions, and I can't wait for my February fry-up in Dublin. But please don't let my gratitude get in the way of a continued discussion of the best locations for this fix.:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Gerry's. Tis on the street that links Harcourt and Wexford St.
    Is that the one that is a couple of doors down from the corner of Wexford Street and is kitted out like some ol' dears living room? If it is the place I am thinking off the tucker there is business.

Theres another place around the corner (not sure its still there) but used to be at the intersection of Wexford Street and Kevin Street. It was next door to a motorbike store as far as I can remember. They did a man sized fry up for a couple of quid back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

northside = applewood cafe swords

city centre = the loving spoon north fredrick street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Have to include the big breakfast in JFK industrial. About €9 for sausages,egg,white pudding,rashers,beans,and delish chunks of fried spuds (before twelve,after 12, chips) tea and toast.All freshly made. I've even brought me ma there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

dSTAR wrote: »
    Theres another place around the corner (not sure its still there) but used to be at the intersection of Wexford Street and Kevin Street. It was next door to a motorbike store as far as I can remember. They did a man sized fry up for a couple of quid back in the day.

Thats Cafe Sofia and its still there. I had the student breakfast there yesterday and it was huge :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

sillymoo wrote: »
    Thats Cafe Sofia and its still there. I had the student breakfast there yesterday and it was huge :eek:

It's horrendous, terrible food. I doubt if it's even KVI it's so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

the village cafe in rathmines, great fry
    closed on sundays though the one day its needed the most

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dragon123

The Lovin Spoon on North Frederick St. has an amazing fry up :D
    A lot of us bikers used to meet there for brekkie before a long run....keeps you going for hours!

jdivision wrote: »
    Is that the best answer you have to offer? Are you 14 or something? It doesn't really answer the original question. Where in your opinion is the best fry up in Dublin or do you prefer to go to McDonald's for breakfast?

I know it years since I was there but back then they used to get all their meat from the local butchers. I know this for sure because I used to live above one of the Butchers on Wexford Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jdivision wrote: »
    Is that the best answer you have to offer? Are you 14 or something?
    Steady on dSTAR. People are welcome to voice their opinion whether you agree with it or not. There's no need to be insulting. If you have a problem with a post, report it.

Steady on dSTAR. People are welcome to voice their opinion whether you agree with it or not. There's no need to be insulting. If you have a problem with a post, report it.
    Fair enough. I just thought it was an unhelpful (bordering on baiting) post but hardly worthy of reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Fair enough. I just thought it was an unhelpful (bordering on baiting) post but hardly worthy of reporting.

I thought that was very unhelpful post also. I like the food in Cafe Sofia, but each to their own I suppose :)

Advertisement