Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Butterfly C&C / Photoshop advice needed

• 24-12-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

3132116272_d28b1e28b4_b.jpg

This was shot with a 50mm 1.4, a full stack of extension tubes and off camera flash. I think there might be a decent photo in there waiting to get out, but I'm not sure how to process it. This is a rough crop & curves adjustment but I've attached the original file in case any of the photoshop gurus out there have any suggestions as to how to improve it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Firstly - Ergh! I knew I hated butterflies for a reason!

Secondly - Very nice shot! A level of detail you very rarely see. How close did you have to hold the camera? I wouldnt imagine a shot like that even if the thing was sitting on the lens itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Ill second that, butterflys are now manky to me but its a fab shot

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

How close was the camera? The tip of the lens was about 2cm or so from the head. I had to use f22 to get any useable depth of field, which also eliminated the ambient lighting. Effectively what you see is flash lighting alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I don't know if it really improves the image. Any way... this is what i did.

1) I ran it through a Noise Ware professional.
    2) Did a bit of spot removal
    3) Used the Plugin Focus Magic to sharpen it up slightly
    4) I added a bit of contrast using Guy Gowans methods
    5) Ran it through Fred Mirandas Velvia Vision to warm up the image and bring the colors up slightly.
    All done in PS3. Save to jpg then upload... :)

Dave OS

That's a distinct improvement Dave. Particularly in the area around the eyes you've brought out more detail with fewer sharpening artifacts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

It didn't really need any sharpening. I usually do post noise removal. My main goal was to remove the glare from the front of the little critter.

Dave OS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This is worth looking at from the point of view of the lens used. I like photographing insects up to a point. Once their large eyes and hairy ears appear I get a bit nervous.

Amazing photo and very impressive, if a bit overwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I know its a little off topic - but where did you get the butterfly ?

would love to know if theres a taxidermist around who could preserve the local insects that I (ahem...catch/find) ...... for photographic purposes, would then be able to do loads of photos of them....and use them as props

I found the butterfly dead on a window sill I'm afraid - I've no idea how you'd go about preserving one.

Dave - Incidentally I've just had a chance to look at your gallery. You've a superb selection of photos there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

TJM wrote: »
    I found the butterfly dead on a window sill I'm afraid - I've no idea how you'd go about preserving one.
    With that I can be very helpful.

You need a "relaxing" fluid. I used collect butterflies when they were very numerous and bought the equipment by post from Deyrolles in Paris. The fluid undoes the effects of rigueur mortis and you can then pin the butterfly into a specially made box, using little bits of paper in contact with the wings so as to not cause damage.

Somehow I became squeamish (adolescent girls are nerveless) and couldn't face the procedure today.

It was as great way to learn species and which plants they favoured for feeding and egg-laying.

Advertisement