Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv Deals in Christmas Sales

• 24-12-2008 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

Firstly, i thought instead of boardsies going out tomorrow morning buying the papers in order to find out about these, it would be better if we had one thread in which we could list the deals in all the bricks n mortar shops

Anyway, Power City have already published their deals for St Stephens Day.Have a look here. Some of the offers are pretty tempting

I'd be grateful if people could post the offers for DID, Currys and Harvey Normans. Its just that i'm down in Cork and i have no Power City near me. Thanks...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

power city site is down at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Will keep an eye out for you. Not in the market for electricals but if I hear anything-will keep you poste. Perhaps we should have a Cork Sales Bargains thread for all of us corkonians(cause we are brill)

Will be heading into the sales v. early on Saturday and will report back then! Waterstones always has good bargains on the first day, ditto eason(last year anyways) and zavvi isn't too bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

copacetic wrote: »
    power city site is down at the moment?

Odd, that link is working perfectly for me:confused::confused:

weird alright I'm getting their logo and

include ('contactus.php');

for every page I try.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Link works fine for me too.

• Advertisement

stop showing off and dish the info on some of the best deals so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Could people post model numbers if they find them out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

copacetic wrote: »
    stop showing off and dish the info on some of the best deals so!
    Good laptop fo €480. 2Ghz core 2 duo, 4GBs ram and a 250GB hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

For the OP here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69072&d=1230080288

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Which tele is the one to get, is it LCD's or Plasma's which burn the image into the screen after awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That'd be Plasma TVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

RasTa wrote: »
    Which tele is the one to get, is it LCD's or Plasma's which burn the image into the screen after awhile.

Partly depends on size - under 40in = LCD, over 40in = Plasma.

For normal tv watching, minimal games etcetera then in my opinion plasma offers far better value for money and a much better picture.

A good 50in plasma can be had for less than €700 - think back two years to the price of a 42in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

but could it be better?

It is amazing that 'out of date' tv sets continue to be sold here in Ireland because retailers seem to think (or want their customers to think) that UK tv sets are standard here. This is ok if one is a satellite (Sky) or UPC (cable) customer. But if the service breaks down now it is possible to pick up the four Irish services. When digital terrestrial tv (DTH) launches in mid 2009 and analogue is withdrawn then the set becomes a mere monitor......For those with aerials receiving the UK stations then the same applies in a short few years.

This new service (replacing analogue through the air) will be provided in
    MPEG4 (NOT MPEG2 that most sets are here on sale in Ireland showing the HD ready/enabled logo))

In France all tv sets since 1 December 08 have to show the HDtv logo if the
    tv set is capable of receiving HD tv via terrestrial means and in order to
    do this the tv set MUST be DVB-T MPEG4. It is interesting to note that 90% of tv sets in the main stores (observed by me last week) are in this category thus the other sets are effectively obsolete even though they adequately pick up the ordinary 18 dth FREE channels. Likewise in the U.K.

In our case the service will be be in MPEG4 from the launch so why would
    anyone in Ireland (republic) buy an MPEG2 set .....yes there is great room
    for (further) negotiation if a salesperson tries to foist an MPEG2 on any of you.......

That'd be Plasma TVs
    Not so much of a problem these days methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

stay at home, spend time with the kids, your family.

Watch a movie about a<insert animal> risking all to save his <insert something>

Drink wine & relax.

These sales will not end in January or even 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Was in Currys in Carrickmines today, some manner of sale had started and select TV's had up to €60 off, wow. A 37" that is €630 up North was going for over €800. I know where I'll be heading in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i myself am looking at the samsung 32" hd telly. Gorgous telly, is 450 of komplett and looked the best price, with most irish stores charging 500.

Heard up north its 300 euro...thats where im heading next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Currys UK website has their St. Stephen's Day stuff. Is this TV worth going up north for? Why is it referred to as 'HD Ready'? I thought 1080p was full hd? :confused:

Shamrok wrote: »
    Currys website has their St. Stephen's Day stuff. Is this TV worth going up north for? Why is it referred to as 'HD Ready'? I thought 1080p was full hd? :confused:
    HD ready 1080p is an actual standard. Full HD is just a buzz word for a tv that can do 1080p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

i myself am looking at the samsung 32" hd telly. Gorgous telly, is 450 of komplett and looked the best price, with most irish stores charging 500.

Heard up north its 300 euro...thats where im heading next week

Where exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

currys

its the samsung 32", it sonly 720p but im not really that bothered, its jsut i want something flawless for watching tv and xbox

Anybody body know if Currys in Newry is open tomorrow and if so what time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

I Know a Guy Who Works For Currys. 32" Samsung is down to €399. Great price for them. Def going to pick one up for my new xbox .

Opened at 9!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Have you tried the Currys website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Was thinking the same, they usually open on "Boxing Day".

https://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/editorial/peak%20opening%20hours

Excellent, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

how bout enniskillen is there a chain electrical store there??? need a large plasma screen!! i still think the bargains up north will justify the trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

futura123 wrote: »
    how bout enniskillen is there a chain electrical store there??? need a large plasma screen!! i still think the bargains up north will justify the trip
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/storeLocatorPortal.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0144576616.1230206876@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladefmhdiffecflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&storeCode=&service_name=Currys

Yes enniskillen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

whats the harvey norman sale like? think i saw an add for a 42" for 499e? not sure was it an lcd or plasma, or 1080p or 720p... anyone know? why the hell dont they give the model number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

for those thionking of buying up the north, check out this thread regarding the different tuners built into the TV's.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055443048
    big_moe wrote: »
    it doesnt have any class of DVB tuners. Panasonic take out the UK tuner and put an irish tuner in. so the only thing the tuner can receive is UHF/VHF analogue signals

anyway, when the government officially launch DVB over here they are going to use MPEG4 so no UK spec tuner will work as they are all MPEG2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

a bientot wrote: »
    but could it be better?

It is amazing that 'out of date' tv sets continue to be sold here in Ireland because retailers seem to think (or want their customers to think) that UK tv sets are standard here. This is ok if one is a satellite (Sky) or UPC (cable) customer. But if the service breaks down now it is possible to pick up the four Irish services. When digital terrestrial tv (DTH) launches in mid 2009 and analogue is withdrawn then the set becomes a mere monitor......For those with aerials receiving the UK stations then the same applies in a short few years.

MPEG4 (NOT MPEG2 that most sets are here on sale in Ireland showing the HD ready/enabled logo))

do this the tv set MUST be DVB-T MPEG4. It is interesting to note that 90% of tv sets in the main stores (observed by me last week) are in this category thus the other sets are effectively obsolete even though they adequately pick up the ordinary 18 dth FREE channels. Likewise in the U.K.

for (further) negotiation if a salesperson tries to foist an MPEG2 on any of you.......

so, do you simply ask them if the TV is MPEG4 capable? are these TV's more expensive, and what happens to all the people with only MPEG2 capable tvs? is there a decoder box required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Worst thing is that you will have to get an external tunner, maybe about 100 euro. And at the speed at which RTE it will be a while yet before they cut off analogue Just think all the pensioners need new tv's. They all would be making a trip to Dublin if RTE try this anytime soon.

This is similar to they you must have 1080p or 1.3a or b or whatever HDMI. This is buzz worlds for most people.

Sky go on about the HD picture is 6 times better and the sound is amazing. They don't say that the sound is the same on SD box and that the sky box doesn't give out 5.1 over HDMI but only stereo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

rom wrote: »
    Worst thing is that you will have to get an external tunner, maybe about 100 euro. And at the speed at which RTE it will be a while yet before they cut off analogue Just think all the pensioners need new tv's. They all would be making a trip to Dublin if RTE try this anytime soon.

This is similar to they you must have 1080p or 1.3a or b or whatever HDMI. This is buzz worlds for most people.

Sky go on about the HD picture is 6 times better and the sound is amazing. They don't say that the sound is the same on SD box and that the sky box doesn't give out 5.1 over HDMI but only stereo.

Fairly off topic,
    but I have surround sound hooked up to my Sky HD box and i'm using HDMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 greenberet

Hi,

To date, I have seen 3 x 32" LCD offers for €399.

Powercity have both a Samsung & LG 32" LCD for €399
    interestingly it appears to be purchase the tv's online via add to cart & collect in store.

DID have an LG 32" LCD for €399
    Curry's have a TV Add, selling a Samsung 32" LCD for €399 & say "no nearly to queue early - the price is available all day long".

I plan on using a Siemens HD1 DTT/Satellite Combo box with hdmi output.

Any recommendations on whats best ?

Many thanks.

Wishing all Boardies a Very Happy Christmas & Many Happy Bargains for the New Year!

GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

but could it be better?

Seeing as the vast majority of tv's have no decoding then the same issue applies. We'll all get boxes to plug in. As long as the tv's support the resolutions the mpeg4 vs mpeg2 debate doesn't matter

mayordenis wrote: »
    Fairly off topic,
    but I have surround sound hooked up to my Sky HD box and i'm using HDMI.
    Sky HD box does not output DD5.1 over HDMI (only stereo). Use an optical cable for the DD5.1 sound.

Most BD players will send Dts MA, Dolby True HD, PCM uncompressed and DD 5.1 over hdmi.

Just returned from Newry with a 37" and Sony Blueray. Was up there early and joined the queue, it was a bit crazy at first but everyone was being looked after, big sets were flying out the door, quite a few Irish regs outside.

I'd say I saved nearly €300 all in and had fun doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

What did you pay for the tv as a matter of interest?

Seeing as the vast majority of tv's have no decoding then the same issue applies. We'll all get boxes to plug in. As long as the tv's support the resolutions the mpeg4 vs mpeg2 debate doesn't matter

Yes, this debate/discussion on obsolete MPEG2 tv sets does not apply if one is 100% sure of cable and/or satellite tv service AND those who buy a new tv every year or two......
    In the U.K. and in France there are tv viewers who simply plug the aerial-in cable into the back of their tv sets and watch multi-channel tv just as in the twentieth century their parents used the same system to receive four or five analogue tv stations.

Believe it or not there are up to 400,000 households in Ireland who have never had boxes under or over their tv sets and are not prepared to have one in the future.
    You buy your tv set and you expect the set to work......

The real discussion here should be the fact that retailers here have been advised/warned by the Department of Communications/Comreg that their for-the-U.K.-market tv sets are NOT geared for Ireland's own DTH service.
    Thus it is the buyers' bonanza.....

• Advertisement

What did you pay for the tv as a matter of interest?

£570.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

The real discussion here should be the fact that retailers here have been advised/warned by the Department of Communications/Comreg that their for-the-U.K.-market tv sets are NOT geared for Ireland's own DTH service.
    Thus it is the buyers' bonanza.....

I thought the discussion here was about the deals in stores regarding prices of TV in post Christmas sales.

If you want to have a rant about quality/suitability of TV sold here would could open a thread in terrestrial, broadcasting or HE forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

No do discuss the quality of the TV's.

Thanks

so, do you (1) simply ask them if the TV is MPEG4 capable? (2) are these TV's more expensive, and (3) what happens to all the people with only MPEG2 capable tvs? is there a decoder box required?

(1) Yes ....ask the salesperson and or check the boxed tv sets you see around these stores. Also you may spot HDtv on the set or on the box. This informs you that the same tv is on sale in France and is an MPEG4. There are extensive lists of MPEG4 (HDtv) on French websites.

(2) Yes and No......they can be or they may be the same price...
    The people who own MPEG2 tuners (otherwise called HD ready) have useless tuners.
    (3) Yes, there are special upgraders available but it maybe simpler and as cheap to buy an MPEG4 decoder that incorporates MPEG2 also eventhough the MPEG2 side will never be relevant here.

All this is the reason that potential tv set buyers should really negotiate if they are being sold an MPEG2 with all the waffle about HDready etc.
    Do note that this does NOT apply to those who are permanent forever cable or satellite subsribers.
    All really new tv sets coming into shope here will be MPEG4....
    For more info go to subsection icdg - terrestrial of boards.ie

ongarite wrote: »
    I thought the discussion here was about the deals in stores regarding prices of TV in post Christmas sales.

If you want to have a rant about quality/suitability of TV sold here would could open a thread in terrestrial, broadcasting or HE forums.

Point taken and I will say no more in this thread or any thread regarding bargain tv sets.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cuniffes in Galway have a 37" Eleonex HD LCD for 499. Seemed a decent price, even a for a cheaper brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

DID have a Panasonic 42" for €599.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

What's the best 32" to get, are the likes of Currys, Powercity, etc. selling identical models, or are some better than others?

Any suggestions on a 32" 720p for around €400, and reasons why? I'll be using it for a PS3 mostly. Thanks in advance, I'm a little confused as to what to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

The Samsung LE456 or the Sony V4000 are the 2 best HD Ready 32" TVs on the market IMO. Worth looking out for the best prices on these in the sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Sony V4500 (with MPEG4) tuner available in Powercity for 620.

Sony V4000 available for 480.

Both 32" tellys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement