Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv Deals in Christmas Sales

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

iknorr wrote: »
    For anyone interested, i had a look around Harvey norman today and expert electrical.
    In Hn The prices are all after being marked up. eg... an 8404 is 929 with the Special discount, last week it was 899.

Is this actually legal? I thought there was something about shops doing this breaking some law or other?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Found the same thing going on in DID. Philips 42" 8404 with dvd player and stand is €1149,after a €200 discount. It was exactly the same price a week before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I got myself a Sony bravia 32" (kdl 32s5650) and a sony blu ray player for €499 in expert electrical, which i am happy enough with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Did anybody spotted Panasonic TX-P50G10 with decent discount ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Spotted a Samsung Series 5 - 32" Full HD (1080p) for €430 in Powecity.

Good price I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

What's the cheapest 50 inch tv out there in the sales? Would love to add on to the sitting room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

costacurta wrote: »
    What's the cheapest 50 inch tv out there in the sales? Would love to add on to the sitting room

I've been looking for a 1080p 50" Samsung plamsa. DID and Powercity have the same one ps50b551 for about €950. However, if you are able to go up north Dixons and Currys have the PS50B530S for £599 = approx €660. The Samsung down south seems to be a better spec but not almost €300 better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Found the same thing going on in DID. Philips 42" 8404 with dvd player and stand is €1149,after a €200 discount. It was exactly the same price a week before Christmas.

DID Sale started a week before Christmas so the prices were already at Sale prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gus99

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Is this actually legal? I thought there was something about shops doing this breaking some law or other?? :confused:

Not sure if actually illegal, but certainly in breach of the NCA 28 day rule - the "original" price should have been in place for at least 28 days or the discount to be valid. Harvey Norman sale prices are often a complete sham - buyer beware.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Advertising/Draft_guidelines_on_price_discounts_part_3.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Dazzy wrote: »
    I've been looking for a 1080p 50" Samsung plamsa. DID and Powercity have the same one ps50b551 for about €950. However, if you are able to go up north Dixons and Currys have the PS50B530S for £599 = approx €660. The Samsung down south seems to be a better spec but not almost €300 better.

Currys in Liffey Valley have the PS50B53S for €799 - down €200. I asked about matching the price with up North (£599) but they don't do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Hey, just a word of warning about Power City in-store versus online prices.. plus them increasing at least one price from €1597.95. to €1699.95 overnight. ( Dec 27 - Dec 28 )

Power City thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I for one love a bargain but heading in to 2010 and baby number 3 on the way - I would be divorced if I bought any more tech.

Looking back through the last few posts of this thread it really pi**es me off that Irish retailers still just do their utmost to confuse the punter with their so called sales on TV's etc. I am sick of hearing that HN tosser on the radio every day with the latest and greatest sale - at this rate, based on the amount of reductions each week, they should just call themselves the pound shop. I have rarely ever seen anything cheaper there than it is in most other retailers.

Whilst I am sure same goes on in UK retailers, I really believe that the only place to get a better deal is to use the open market and buy in NI or else online from the UK; sure amazon.co.uk now deliver for free (As Santa in our house can confirm).

Don't look on this as an opening of the whole NI debate - its just my tuppenny rant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

I for one love a bargain but heading in to 2010 and baby number 3 on the way - I would be divorced if I bought any more tech.

Looking back through the last few posts of this thread it really pi**es me off that Irish retailers still just do their utmost to confuse the punter with their so called sales on TV's etc. I am sick of hearing that HN tosser on the radio every day with the latest and greatest sale - at this rate, based on the amount of reductions each week, they should just call themselves the pound shop. I have rarely ever seen anything cheaper there than it is in most other retailers.

Whilst I am sure same goes on in UK retailers, I really believe that the only place to get a better deal is to use the open market and buy in NI or else online from the UK; sure amazon.co.uk now deliver for free (As Santa in our house can confirm).

Don't look on this as an opening of the whole NI debate - its just my tuppenny rant:D

Dead right. Buying online from abroad is the best solution for any product that is unlikely to be damaged in transit and is not perishable. You'd be a fool not to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

On the amazon front, they do not deliver big tv's to this country, which is a great shame, because i suspect everyone would get their tv's from them if they did. I completely agree but the reality is that there is no reliable uk retailer who will deliver over here at a small delivery cost. As for Richersounds, they have great prices but they dont ship the majority of stuff. There really is a gap in the market for a good uk online retailer who will give prices similiar to Amazon and deliver over here for say €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Zonda999 wrote: »
    On the amazon front, they do not deliver big tv's to this country, which is a great shame, because i suspect everyone would get their tv's from them if they did. I completely agree but the reality is that there is no reliable uk retailer who will deliver over here at a small delivery cost. As for Richersounds, they have great prices but they dont ship the majority of stuff. There really is a gap in the market for a good uk online retailer who will give prices similiar to Amazon and deliver over here for say €20.

Not sure thats totally true for Richersounds? If its 'in store only' then typically they don't (unless they are feeling extra nice), however if they have stock they ship it, if they don't and can order it they ship it, and often for free (next day) depending on how much you are spending, or if your willing to collect from the Phillips Shop in Dublin. Alternatively shipping is usually €20 or less depending on the purchase.

(Don't want this comment to turn into anything more than another opinion being provided, happy holidays ! :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Oh absolutely, they'll ship if they have enough in stock but for that reason they often cant ship their best priced stuff or most popular stuff

Advertisement