Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone on meteor

• 24-12-2008 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

i know you guys are sick to death of these threads, but how stupid is it to buy a 3G iPhone from the UK and get it unlocked for meteor here?

specifically, is it even possible (some people have been telling me its not) and what features are unavailable on the phone if i get it on meteor.

btw, anyone know the extent of meteors 3G coverage? they dont mention it anywhere on their site

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Meteor werent very forthcoming about their 3G release atall.
    i think its officially in Dublin and Galway right now and spreading as such. every now and again i notice the 3G further out from dublin than it previously was.

it is a 3G phone so you can connect to the 3G network. i dont know that any of the apps are only for o2 - wouldnt surprise me though :)

I would check out ebay before checking out PAYG prices for the iphone too. (like u can get the 8GB for 240e, 16gb for 500e) i dont know o2 prices even.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

they're €410 for the 16g £G version on apples uk store at the mo, its says shipping is free but i dont know if they'll ship it to ireland for free

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

samhail wrote: »
    Meteor werent very forthcoming about their 3G release atall.
    i think its officially in Dublin and Galway right now and spreading as such. every now and again i notice the 3G further out from dublin than it previously was.

Dublin and Cork.

But it may well be in Galway at this stage too.

i hesitated when i typed Galway :) Cork sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

skregs wrote: »
    i know you guys are sick to death of these threads, but how stupid is it to buy a 3G iPhone

on the stupid scale i'd say it's about 10, 10 being as stupid as you can get!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

on the stupid scale i'd say it's about 10, 10 being as stupid as you can get!
    And the stupid scale is logarithmic too. ;)

jmccrohan wrote: »
    And the stupid scale is logarithmic too. ;)

Hey, if there was a stupid scale your self yourself and sam Samuel would be hovering over the 10, happy christmas you all star:p

EDIT:

Let's hope it's a good one...

Edit:

With lost's of cheer :)

EDIT:

And Booze : )

EDIT:

I'd murder a bacon and cabbage sanguage sandwich with brown sauce : )

EDIT:

And some cold milk : )

and cookies?
    If we add up to 10 together, then is that like 5 each? Thats not all that bad. Not as bad as 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭keystone

Hey, if there was a stupid scale your self yourself and sam Samuel would be hovering over the 10, happy christmas you all star:p

EDIT:

Let's hope it's a good one...

Edit:

With lost's of cheer :)

EDIT:

And Booze : )

EDIT:

I'd murder a bacon and cabbage sanguage sandwich with brown sauce : )

EDIT:

And some cold milk : )

And your educated point is????

bull,whats the problem?

C is for cokie that's good enough for me...

Cookie, Cookie, Cookie starts with C

A Round cookie with a bite out of it looks ike a C

Raammmm... Cookie...:)

• Advertisement

keystone wrote: »
    And your educated point is????

my educated point is i'm older than you, so sit the fcuk down and get prepared to be engineered...:)

we can split the 10points 3way if you like.

I gave my opinion on the technical side of the q.
    I dont think id actuall get the iphone my self for some reason. I dont know why though :)

samhail wrote: »
    I dont think id actuall get the iphone my self for some reason. I dont know why though :)

wild stab in the dark but i'd say because you know better...

i'm off to bed...the Hic Ups are killing me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

thanks for the help, even if this thread stopped being helpful about 10 posts ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

When I was with Meteor with my iPhone I was told in the shop that everything would work fine. And it did for a few weeks.

I started to run into problems with the internet access. Meteor had capped the speed of my acc and restricted access. When I called them over this I was told that they knew I was using an iPhone and they did not support it. I asked them why my internet speeds had been reduced and I was told this was due to me using an iPhone. I found this very hard to believe and waited til the next day to call in again and see what someone else would say. Again I was told the same thing... Very odd tbh.

So I told them to get stuffed and changed to o2. Just to let you know. Meteors 3G is not very widespread yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

i have an iphone on meteor and its workin perfect, unlocked it myself, rang meteor got them to provision me for isp, gave me the correct apn settings and away i went, internet works perfect, very quick infact.

Im in kildare and i get 3g coverage which is actually coming from the dublin masts

Im in kildare and i get 3g coverage which is actually coming from the dublin masts
    I take it you live on the border so? UMTS requires more masts than GSM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

im actually the far side of newbridge. it was a suprise to meteor too but they confirmed it was coming from the dublin masts! and its not traces of crap 3g coverage its quality full coverage:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

This post has been deleted.
    To be honest 3G is still in the trial stages and has not been fully launched yet so I suppose this is the time to figure these type of things out.

If masts located in Dublin are reaching as far as Newbridge then surely this is a positive on Meteors behalf? It's not as if they said it will reach this far and then it didn't.

Terrain can limit coverage, especially over long distances. Hills, buildings etc... can block coverage so it's not as if Meteor can test every inch of the country. They rely on customers to report issues and then address them accordingly. Its the same with every network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

If you're still interested, it should work fine...The 3G is mainly in Dublin and Cork and along the East cost in some parts...Over the next few months it should improve alot...Outside those areas you should have EDGE coverage which isn't bad. It should be roughly the same as using it on O2...except it's not O2...and the 3G coverage is less, however Meteor's 3G is much less congested so it may be faster in alot of cases...

And about the posts about Meteor's 3G...The network isn't very congested as of yet, and cell shrinkage won't have much of if any effect on the 3G masts in Dublin, so they can travel to Newbridge pretty easily...In the Outback in Australia cells can cover enormous distances due to the lack of congestion...

Advertisement