Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

permanet & D-link

Options
  • 24-12-2008 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi ppl, am new to all this but am trying to set up my permanet connection on wireless. I have a "com21" permanet router and a dl-524 from D-Link. have tried everything i can think of so far (aint much i know). Settings are as follows when am directly connected to the permanet router:

C:\Documents and Settings\Ed>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-gyyq2y4lfc
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-24-58-8E
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-1F-F8-B6
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.203.129
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.2
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.31
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.113.0.3
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:02:34 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 25, 2008 12:02:34 AM

where as my dlink is 192.168.0.1 gateway.

Trying to set it up so that i can get the young lad on xbox live on christmas day without tears.

Any help would be much appreciated....:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

do you have a router on 10.1.1.31 ?
    (Default Gateway?)

I assume that your com21 is on that IP address.
    does your dlink have a wired port ? that you could connect your PC to, and connect in and make sure that wireless is obvously on, and that the IP ranges are the same as on the main on.

i have my eircom router setup with DHCP, and another wireless router connected by network cable to that.
    both are within 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254. I had DHCP setup on my wireless one(but i took it off recently).

Id be suspicious about your IP address being 192.168.203.129, and your gateway being 192.168.200.2. usually they are on the same subnet 192.168.200.x. (it is setup correctly with your subnet mask - thats why its work) just an unusual setup

DCHP server is a different IP as your gateway... i assume you dont have another router just for DHCP, right :) ?
    i would be surprised that that connection works :)

When you connect your machine to the network to you have the IP address automatically assigned ? or did you set it to 192.168.203.129 manually (cant be found in the network properties in control panel.

Could also try to setup the xbox on 192.168.203.130 and see if it will work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 i_see_a_darknes

Thanks samhail.

the ip is the one that the permanet router has served out. Have wired directly into the d-link and the wireless is switched on. Both seem to work ok independently of each other its just when i connect all together (laptop to dlink to com21" i cant connect to the internet. am wondering if the DHPC is switched on on both routers would there be a conflict?

i'm definately out of my comfort zone here..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are going to have to turn off the dhcp function (ie bridge them) in one or other of the machines otherwise the routing function is duplicated and causes problems.

i was a little cheeky and left the DHCP on both of the routers
    had router A give out 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.127 and router B give out 192.168.1.128-192.168.1.254 or something like that.

this kinda setup on cheap routers will definetely put one out of their comfort zone :)

i dont suppose you have remote desktop enabled on your machine and have your firewalls setup to allow remote access :) - if you trust me to connect that is :)

Can you set it up like i suggested on mine.
    Router A IP: 192.168.200.2
    Router B IP: 192.168.200.102
    both subnet masks 255.255.255.0

setup DHCP range for Router A to 192.168.200.3-192.168.200.102
    setup DHCP range for Router B to 192.168.200.103-192.168.200.202

hardwire both routers like you have.
    Have both your machine and the xbox setup to automatically get an IP from DHCP.

oh before you change anything make sure you take down ever setting you are going to change ! incase you need to put them all back ! :) cant be off the boards even on your PC for the xmas ! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why go to all that bother?

Just turn off dhcp in one or other of them and that should be it no?

• Advertisement

i was going to suggest that - but if the wireless router is going to be used then it would be handier to keep that with DHCP. and well dhcp is a nicer solution in my opinion. what ever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 erukus

hi just wondering if someone could source a permanet aerial for permanet braodband could that person theoretically access broadband for free with the correct router or does something have to be enabled in the box attached to the aerial. I ask as we have cancelled permanet and they have to come out to take the aerial down before they cut us off i.e. they cant turn it off from a central exchange.

Advertisement