Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 24-12-2008 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Putting aside media/TV...

In real life, would you date a witch, or someone involved with the supernatural world?

Though a lovely person, I'm not sure I should continue seeing her.

Confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: someone into mysticism/occultism and/or ancient/modern spirituality and magic is not necessarily a bad person or crazy, though you may want to check those things like you would for anyone else! I don't practise magic myself, but my brother's godmother is a witch, some of my closest friends are pagans and practise magic, and I've also dated someone who practises magic without incident. That being said, this area does tend to attract a larger-than-average proportion of people who are a bit off, or pretty nasty.

How open is she about it? How big a part is it in her life? Does it significantly negatively affect her ability to handle daily life and interact with others? Does she show apppropriate moral reasoning regarding it? (Actually, these are questions to ask about anything, including religious interest.)

To summarise: I wouldn't be put off someone purely on those grounds. If you post more information I can possibly give more specific advice, but that's pretty much all I've got without more details. Feel free to PM if you'd prefer to chat privately. Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pagan is just another religious / spiritual believe system. Nothing inherently wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're talking about a Wiccan, yes, I'd date one. I wouldn't have an issue with it, unless she was trying to force her beliefs on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the advice. Initially, this was my thinking also. I saw her as having a heart of gold, still do. She doesn't seem flakey; quite an articulate and engaging woman I think. Beliefs were not forced on me at all (she keeps it to herself, I've not been exposed to it), just explained when I asked and when she saw I looked bewildered at her unique book collection at home, as well as a shrine. She is very spiritual and does practice magic.

She has told me her past relationships failed because of people's fear of her practice, or simply they thought she was crazy/weird. Though she puts on a front and says these people weren't meant for her in that case, but I can see it has hurt her really. I don't want to be another to hurt her, but just want to know if I should be concerned for myself too. Maybe I am being silly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Make a list of pro's and cons; that should show how irrelevant one aspect of a person is

Are u just worried about what other people will think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

It can be useful to listen to the partners/lovers who went before you.
    Sometimes you can find yourself suddenly thinking they were not so crazy, selfish etc when you find the same things happening to you that happened to them.
    Beliefs are fine, whats interesting is how those beliefs lead one to act or behave especially in relationship.
    Time will tell you more about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Had a few friends back in secondary school who were kinda interested in the whole Wicca thing, and it does sound a bit nuts at first, but like Sir Ophiuchus said, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. If something related to her being a witch makes her do or say things that you find crazy or off-putting, then you might want to re-consider things, but the reason for that isn't the 'witch' part, it's the 'crazy and off-putting' part. If she seems perfectly lovely in every other way, then assume she'll be the same about this.

Advertisement